1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Let's Shoot some Pool

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Shadowcouncil, Jan 8, 2002.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I am a fanatic pool player. Play 2, 3 or 4 times a week..... A bit addicted :) A colleague of mine is +/- 150th of the Dutch Ranking and he teached me a lot... (and I beated him on 1 january however I suppose that was an accident :))

I was just wondering if there are more pool-players here.... I know that Kitiara (I would kick your butt with pool ;)) also likes to play pool... anyone else?

2. BogiTheWaverer Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

[​IMG] I was addicted to billard about 20 years ago but I hate holes in the table.
    I play(ed) only carambole(sp?) - 3 balls are enough. :D

Day in and day out, after school up to 5 houres of billarding in the coffee-house (the vienna kind not the dutch :)) instead of learning.

You see, it was the pre-computer-age. ;)

3. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    I like to play sometimes. Except that I have terrible traumatic experiences from ruining my sister's mini-billiards table.
    Of courese, I am a complete cluz with a cue.

Ara
    (Typing too much... my figers hurt...)

4. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

What version do you play? I assume 8-ball or 9-ball?

I play 8-ball (UK version), a few times a week (twice a week in the local pub league).

Must say, although, I've only played 9-ball once, but rarely had more fun. Pockets like buckets!

I used to play a lot of snooker, but now approx 4 times a year, so from decent to useless has come easy.

5. Silverblade Guest

I play pool (sometimes). I am not very good, but I enjoy playing now and then.

6. sorvo Guest

I used to play 3 or 4 times a week myself, now I'm lucky if I play 3 or 4 times a year(don't hang out at the bar as much anymore):lol:but it's just like riding a bike you don't forget:D

7. Rhythm Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Veteran

I too play pool sometimes. Twice a month in fact. I play every weekend with my friends. Sometimes, instead of pool, we play snooker.

8. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, even though Marnix mentioned me and took away my chance to spam :p

Im going to comment anyhow..lol I played pool straight everyday for a long period of time. I got quite good :) Many a man lost his money to me thinking *ah, a woman easy win* Mwahahahaha :evil:

9. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Kitiara, I also learned that you shouldn't underestimate girls in pooling... I know many that are better then me :)

I normally play 8 ball (I hate 9 ball :)) and I also like to play Straight Pool (when someone doesn't know this I can explain the rules)

10. eveningdrive Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

[​IMG] I'm one. :)

I'm from the Philippines, home of "The Magician" Efren Reyes Jr. and Fransisco "Jango" Bustamante and other world pool notables.

Man, this place is littered with pool halls, especially when Efren won that World Championship at Wales. Everyone was watching it even if it was aired at 2:00 in the morning. Heh, I know I was. :grin:

Actually, our most popular game is 15 ball rotation, then 9 ball and 8 ball.

Folks here normally get acquainted with the game pretty early. I remember learning the basics at age 9. So yeah, I guess I have a pretty good game.

Of course, I'll have to play some of you folks just to see how good. :)

And it helps when two of your friends have their very own pool table at home. :)

[This message has been edited by eveningdrive (edited January 09, 2002).]

11. Satiana Fearbringer Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

[​IMG] The only thing I have to say about pool, is that I play better when I am under the influence of alcohol.

And that is the truth of it, unfortunetly.

12. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

lol... Satiana, Drunk Pool is easy, 12 pockets instead of 6 :) :) And twice more balls... what else do you want :)

I play better after one or two beers... more then 2 beers makes we play worse again.

13. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

[​IMG] I love to play pool and I must agree on the whole playing better after a few beers thing.

By the way, what's the difference beetween 8-ball and 9-ball except the obvious.

14. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    In eight ball you play with all 15 balls in the familiar triangle rack, you must sink your half of the balls (solids or stripes depending on what was sunk first) before the eight ball, and you win when the eight ball is sunk.

In nine ball, you play with nine balls (1-9) in the diamond rack and your objective is to sink the nine ball while always having to contact the lowest numbered ball on the table first.

[This message has been edited by Blackthorne TA (edited January 09, 2002).]

15. Turambar Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Ahhh ok. Thought eight ball was what you would call straight pool.

Love nine ball though, that's a more strategy thatn eight ball if you ask me.

16. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

[​IMG] I love pool .... I even used to be on my high school swim team!

17. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

9-Ball is more about position, there is only one ball you have to hit first, with 8-ball you have more balls you are allowed to hit.... so when one ball isn't good to hit, you can always play another ball.

Straight Pool is much different,for it's the only game where it is not your goal to sink the black or the 9-ball. With straight ball, you may sink ALL balls you want. Every ball you sink is worth 1 point. When all balls except the last one are sunk (:)) all other balls come back in the triangle and then you play on.

The best thing is to try is that when all balls except one are back in the triangle again, is to sink the last ball and at the same time hit all other balls so you can sink another ball afterwards.

18. Kitiara Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I have never played any other pool then 8 ball. I have tried snooker, with the tiny little balls, very hard to play.

The way i play, you have to sink all of your balls, flukes dont count, and then you sink the 8 ball. If you sink the white ball shooting at the 8 ball you lose, or if you fluke the 8. I find it the most challanging way to play.

19. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Yes it is, however Straight Pool is great as practise, for you can play it quick and you get many easy shots.. so it's good to get the right feeling....

I suppose you all play the Tourney Rules?

20. Viking Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

The official UK rules have been changed to the world rules, but most of us still play either "old rules" or "new rules" which are 2 different sets of UK rules prior to the adoption of the world rules. (Tournament rules if you like).

Having said that, a mate of mine who lives further north in the country, play a different set of rules again. A simplified version of the world rules.

To be fair, tournament rules are not really very fair on recreational players.

PS, all the above relates to 8-ball.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.