1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Let The "Race" Begin

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Nov 17, 2010.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
  2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Chandos, BTA, I think Obama's reelection is a foregone conclusion. The only likely candidate with a real chance of toppling Obama (Romney) doesn't excite the base.

3. Rotku

Rotku I believe I can fly Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Do incumbent presidents usually run again with their vices, or is there often a chance?

4. Drew

Media:
    Changes are rare, but not unprecedented.

5. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    Rare but possible, and I wouldn't be surprised in the least if Obama went with a different VP. (But as others have suggested I think his current re-election chances are very good - barring a double dip recession or the like, he's likely going to win again.)

The reason why I'd wonder if he would take on a different VP would be looking ahaed to 2016. Because one thing we can be pretty certain of is that Biden doesn't look like a great candidate in 2016. While Biden doesn't necessarily have to run in 2016, the VP not running for president once the sitting president has reached his term limit is also very, very rare. I believe Cheney not running for president in 2008 was the first time it's happened in my lifetime. (Although to be fair, it was only the third time in life that a president reached a term limit, so it's not exactly a huge sample size.)

I see that Trump is still claiming he doubts the legitimacy of Obama's citizenship. I assume he's just doing that for the publicity. Here's a clip of his statements.

Also, there was some decent analysis on some recent polling on which portential presidential candidates are most popular among Republicans: here.

And a particularly funny Chris Matthews clip in response is here.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2011
  6. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    That may not really be working out too great for him beyond the party fathful.

[​IMG]

7. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It seems Haley is out of the race, which surprises me since I thought he had a shot at it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42764804/ns/politics-decision_2012/

8. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Wimp.

Any Republican is going to have to deal with this issue. If your more attractive candidates are afraid, then your are going to be stuck with the fringe, which guarantees an Obama victory. Talk about self-fulfilling prophesies!

9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I did not. Nate Silver had an excellent article on this. Here's an excerpt:

Full story.

The truth is, the entire Republican field (among those considered likely to run) is flawed - even from a Republican point of view. Not that Obama is perfect or anything, but he is imminently electable. One of the problems with the Republican candidates is that they draw from very diverse constituencies, so there is a likelihood that whomever ends up winning the nomination may not be the strongest possible candidate that they could field in the general election.

For example, someone like Mike Huckabee has great appeal to religious conservatives, Newt Gingrich (and Michele Bachmann if she inexplicably attempts to run) appeals to Tea Partiers, Mitt Romney is the establishment's choice, while Donald Trump and Sarah Palin are the pick of the mentally unstable. I don't know if any of them can win the general election against Obama, but someone like Mitt Romney or even Jon Huntsman is more electable than others on the list.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Here's a novel way to win an election [maybe it's not so novel in NON-democratic countries :hmm:].

At least they admit they just want to bar the other side from voting....

http://thinkprogress.org/2011/03/05/state-disenfranchisement-schemes/

11. Drew

Media:
    I wouldn't call Barbour a wimp. Soundly losing a presidential election can have serious effects on your perceived viability in upcoming elections. Lose badly enough, and you'll never get to run again. Remember Mondale? No*? Well, that's kind of the point.

Smart politicians avoid fights they can't win.

* Yes, yes, you probably remember Walter Mondale, but still.

12. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I voted for Mondale (both elections). Reagan scared me.

Drew likes this.
  13. Drew

Media:
    Do you mean to say you voted to re-elect Carter in 1980 and then voted for Mondale in 1984? I didn't think you were from Minnesota, so I doubt you would have voted for him in any other elections...

14. Chandos the Red

Media:
    How ironic is that? I voted for Reagan [1984]. I thought Mondale was a good man, but liked Reagan more. Funny, to this day I don't regret that vote.

15. Drew

Media:
    Who hasn't changed teams once or twice in his life? (T2, Splunge, DR, get your minds out of the gutter.) 1984 was a long time ago. It was a different world, and we were different people then. For starters, I still had all my hair and, like Chandos, I also didn't vote for Mondale. I was, uh, 7.

16. Chandos the Red

Media:
    I think I was 20 and still had all my hair as well. :)

17. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I was 18 and I couldn't distinguish Mondale from beige wallpaper.

18. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    I never really considered myself a strong democrat until fairly recently to tell the truth. I certainly wasn't a strong Democrat through most of my 20s. I think elections of the last 10 years haven't caused me to switch teams as much as I've been pushed to the other side.

I also wasn't old enough to vote for Mondale, and I have no idea if I would have if I were old enough. Being 10 at the time of the 1984 election, I wasn't particularly into politics. The first presidential election I was able to vote in was 1992.

19. Chandos the Red

Media:
    It seems Bachmann is in:

No surprise, but it will be interesting if she runs against Sarah.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4319245...achmann-plans-presidential-announcement-iowa/

Also, I think this is very real and very scary:

I'm not surprised. He has been setting this up for quite awhile.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43194947/ns/politics-decision_2012/

20. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    And I think if he did, he'd have a real shot. I've said it before, I'll say it again. Moreso than any in the current field, Palin included. If he gets in, Romney is screwed. I'd bet the farm on him getting the nomination.

He's a handsome, God-fearing, gun-toting, climate change-denying, gay-baiting, tax-cutting, liberal-bashing machine. A southern man's man, politically undefeated with the longest gubernatorial record in Texas history and Texas's above-average economic record to tote.

It's almost like he was grown in a lab. About the biggest downside is how easy it'll be to say "how'd the last Governor of Texas work out, America?" But I can't imagine that'll register as much of a negative in the collective (selective?) memory of the conservative base.

Last edited: May 27, 2011
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.