1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

LCD monitors

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by chevalier, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    You can't tone the brightness down? An LCD hard on the eyes or not is simply a matter of fiddling with the settings. It took me several tries and weeks of testing to get it down to what my eyes are comfortable with for longer periods of time, so don't give up so quickly. Refresh is more or less the same on all LCDs, and it's not the refresh rate that's bothering you, trust me.

2. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    The box in which your 2600 came must have an adapter for dvi to vga.

3. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Tal, I can do a lot with the settings and the Movie, Photo, Gaming, Text and Custom modes make a lot of difference. When I start playing with the settings, it makes even more. I can tone the brightness down, although even at <50 it's still very bright. I think you're right and I simply can't find the optimal settings yet. Don't know about refresh rate, but it feels like I'm able to tell 60 from 75 (1280*800 works in 60 or 75, native is 1680*1050 in 60, so I can compare).

Merlanni, yeah, I've been using that one - I've had a CRT until now. The old SyncMaster was sharp as a needle and frankly, I could have kept using it. I just wanted a new one. ;)

4. Kitrax

Kitrax Pantaloons are supposed to go where!?!?

Media:
    Ok, so here's a quick question.

I just got my 22" monitor yesterday, and today, I noticed 2 or 3 stuck/dead pixels. One is black so I think it might be a dead pixel...and it's right in the center of the screen so my eyes naturally lock on to it. The other is blue (cyan-ish), and looks longer than a single pixel...so I think it might be 2.

So...assuming that they aren't actually dead, is there any way of getting these pixels to work? :rolling:

5. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Sometimes gently massaging over the discolored pixels can make them start working again. Not a very "tech" answer but thats all we could figure out at my shop that actually worked. Just make sure you use something soft so as not to scratch it..we use a glasses cleaning cloth.

6. Erod Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Veteran

There are also programs that rapidly change the colour of a single pixel. Leaving it running over a stuck pixel for some hours may get it to work again. Dead pixels stay dead though.

7. Kitrax

Media:
    That didn't work. :bad: Any other suggestions? :hmm:

[Edit - Oops...I didn't see Erod's post. I'll look in to that.] :rolling:

8. chevalier

Media:
    I may sound obvious, but can you return the monitor? I wouldn't risk keeping one with faults already, while you could replace it with a new one.

9. Kitrax

Media:
    Most, if not all manufacturers require that a certain number of pixels be dead...I don't have enough to be able to return it. :bad: :rolling:

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  11. chevalier

Media:
    Yes, I know. I thought you had some kind of warranty from your direct vendor, like 7 days since purchase and you can return it. My last vendor had such an option IIRC and it's pretty common around here. From what I know, LG has a stringent policy against dead pixels. Here they will send a guy with a new monitor, who will pick yours up from your house in the process.

12. Kitrax

Media:
    Well...I bought it through Newegg.com...who, IIRC, charge a 15% restocking fee if I just wanted to return it. If it had enough dead pixels, I could RMA it through Newegg...but I'd rather not deal with the hassle.

Besides the two problem spots, it's the best (and the biggest) monitor I've ever had. :D :rolling:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.