1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Latest from Michael Moore

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by dmc, Apr 20, 2004.

1. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG]
    Are those two separate reasons?
    The first reason makes sense, but IMHO the second doesn't. If a filmmaker does not make a profit from his film(s), he will have a very hard time making more films.

2. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Ok, one last shot at this.

I will not pay Moore to see a movie in which allegedly all he does is take information that we already know, and spins it with his humor, while depicting the suffering of the Iraqi people in the background. The fact that he will be making money on a film that apparently provides nothing new, and is using the misery of some of the Iraqi people as a backdrop for his admittedly political attack on the President is completely exploitive.

As was stated above, the man has millions already. If he is such an altruist and wants us all to know the "truth", why does he attempt to take profit from depictions of those suffering?

Before I am attacked on them, I will address the quotation remarks around the word truth above. Mr Moore does not engender himself as a purveyor of the truth with such statements as:
    You can't get on a plane that is going to land in Baghdad without showing your credentials prior to takeoff, and no one lands in Baghdad without acquiring authorization prior to taking off. So why should they check your credentials upon arrival?
    Moore knows this is a lie, so what is his motivation for telling it?

3. Takara

Takara My goodness! I see turnips everywhere

Media:
    Darkwolf, when I fly out of the U.K I have to show my passport, credentials etc. When I get to my arrival destination, u.s, spain, whatever, I again have to show my passport. All people flying into the u.k have to do the same. This is called immigration control.

The point I think Michael Moore seemed, to me at least, to be making was that anyone from the Continental U.S didnt need to pass through any form of immigration. Yet, anyone coming in from any other destination did.

4. Darkwolf Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

And so that creates a logical jump to state that Iraq is now am American Territory?

You comparison is analogous to comparing apples to oranges. We are not dealing with conventional travel here. You cannot go get your passport, slap down your AmEx card and buy a ticket for seat on a plane bound for Baghdad. You have to be cleared by the coalition to go there before you ever leave. When you travel from Europe to America, you do not announce to the US government what time, and flight you will be arriving on, and the security for getting on such a flight is much lower than for flights to Baghdad. So instead of requiring all that in advance they simply examine your docs when you arrive.

There is no doubt that Iraq is an occupied territory, but it is not an American Territory.

5. Sojourner Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

In today's film industry, a few million is just a drop in the bucket. It would be interesting to see if an Ann Coulter film received similar criticism. I, for one, intend to see Moore's latest.

6. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think that this is a rather far stretch. From what everyone is saying this movie is closer to propaganda or even a campaign ad rather than a documentary or educational film.

I personally think it will be hilarious if the movie is determined to be a campaign ad and the theatres/media are forced to give equal air time to Bush to refute the charges.

7. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    In a complete non-surprise, Fahrenheit 911 won the Palme D'Or at Cannes.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.