1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Last Week's Poll Results

Discussion in 'Game/SP News & Comments' started by NewsPro, Mar 23, 2001.

1. NewsPro Gems: 30/31
    Latest gem: King's Tears

(Originally posted by Sorcerer)

What we asked:

Q: Which was in your opinion the most useless thing of any kind in Baldur's Gate 2?
    (589 votes total)

Helm of Infravision (205) 35%
    Darts (162) 28%
    Familiars (74) 13%
    Boots of the North (39) 7%
    Horn of Blasting (37) 6%
    Wand of Wonder (32) 5%
    Other (23) 4%
    The Equalizer (17) 3%

It is an honour to present the most useless item in the game: Helm of Infravision. 35% of people who voted in the poll have selected it, so its fan base is really quite small. But I guess I must point out that it was originally an item in Baldur's Gate 1 and not something created anew for Baldur's Gate 2. (Thank God for that.)

Next come Darts. While I have used them occasionally if I happened to pick up a stack of them, I can't imagine anyone having them as the weapon of choice. Just remember what happened to the World's Greatest Darter in BG 1. ;)
    But all our rants were not in vain, for shortly after this poll was created, the folks at Bioware have promised to make darts more useful in the upcoming Throne of Bhaal expansion. We will have to wait and see. For now, 28% of people find them useless.

In third place are Familiars with 13% of all votes. And since not everyone played a character that could summon one, I'm certain that the level of dissatisfaction with pets is extremely high among us more magically inclined types.
    Bioware also promised some improvements in this field, but nothing concrete is known at this time. Stay tuned for more info when we get it.

Boots of the North are another popular set with 7% of people ranking them as the most useless item of all. Due to the fact that next to no monsters in the game deal cold damage this footwear protects you from, no doubt. Still, they look good on your paperdoll screen, huh? ;)

Finally we come around to the Horn of Blasting. Blasting is right, usually half of your party into oblivion while at it. We have had countless rants about this at our forums, and no one liked this horn, so I'm surprised it wasn't ranked higher than 6%.

Wand of Wonder, i.e. "That Screwy Wand" gained 5% of votes. Either there are actually people who found it useful, or few of those who voted actually found it. Frankly, I think this one should be among the top three.

4% of people chose Other. Nothing really smart came up, but I'll list a few that came up anyway:

- Most useless are of course all short swords and daggers, because even thieves can use much stronger longswords or katanas
    - Wand Of Magic Missiles

And that's about it. There were dozens of listings of NPCs who sucked in someone's opinion, but the poll wasn't about that, so I see no sense in listing them.

And the last item on the list, the Equalizer, seems to be quite popular with the masses. I wonder why, since by the time you put it together, you have an arsenal full of better weapons. Or maybe it was just me, since only 3% of people found it useless.

- Latest Poll
    - Previous Polls

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2018
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.