1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kyoto Global Warming Pact Starts

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Taluntain, Feb 16, 2005.

1. CĂșchulainn Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

I found these on BBC's 'Have your say'

and,

and,

Taken from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4269753.stm

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Morgoth,

Why are you still going on about something totally and completely irrelevant to the subject? It doesn't matter whether the earth would split or not, life on it would be impossible for millions or billions of years, if not forever.

And you don't know what you're talking about, so I'll just find a link for you because my head hurts from seeing you invent new theories at a moment's notice. Here: link. It's even got a nice little picture for you which will show you how wrong the theory you just invented is.

Oh, nice links, for a bit of a laugh... 10 year old sources on an anti-environmentalist site which claims that, wait for it, OIL SPILLS ARE ACTUALLY GOOD FOR NATURE! Bring on another Exxon Valdez! Woohoo!

Believe it or not, the point of this discussion is not whether humankind can survive. Humankind can potentitally survive with a few dozen pairs of specimens, but still lose most aspects of civilization and culture that we've gained since the Dark Ages.

Edit: I see Darkthrone exposed some background of your links that were plain obvious to me at a glace. It never amazes me how gullible some people can be...

Yep, and when that runs out, we're all gonna die or revert back to monkies. Pop a banana and back to the trees, I say!

[ February 17, 2005, 16:18: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

3. Nakia

Nakia The night is mine Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    We are responsible for the world we live in. Be it for moral, practical or religious reasons. If we don't take responsibility for the world who will? I don't agree with every eviromentalist that comes along. But if we want a world worth surviving in we need to clean it up, take care of it. For a small example:
    The community I live in uses a lot of oil heat. The tanks were built underground. Not far from me three (3) houses had to be moved because of a leaky tank. The ground had to be cleaned. It took forever and cost the insurance company a fortune. Now people are beginning to get above ground tanks. They didn't want to do it before because of the cost. It is true that being enviromentally friendly cost but polution costs more.

4. Bion Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

...sweet memories. I had forgotten about that particular Houston smell (petrochemicals? ozone?) you only notice upon disembarking from the plane or opening your car door after having been out of town for a while.

If you notice, the US has been hostile to any agreement that would make it liable to sanctions from an international body, from Kyoto to the ICC. Why? Because it can. One of the negative sides to this has to do not only with the US's production of pollution, but also of emerging industrial powers like China (or even Russia), who are notorious for producing industrial wastelands; China in particular has been growing like mad. If the US doesn't jump on board Kyoto, then everyone can secretly give a sigh of relief and go on doing exactly what they were doing. Hopefully they can hammer out a compromise on this.

I've always been mystified by the "environmental wackos" type characterization, which argues that scientists are alarmist only out of selfishness: to win grants. How you can play up the relatively tiny amount of money that goes into research grants while utterly ignoring the trillions of dollars that motivate the energy industry, is beyond me. I hardly see how the idea of adding more environmental controls, if done sensibly, will ruin the economy; energy producers have used the same argument against every emission control that's been put into place, and lo and behold, they're still in business.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Wow Tal, you've just shown that you can't read an article, ten years? Check the dates.
    Oil spills, what oil spills? Read the article.

Indeed :lol:

Still, truth be told, I enjoyed irritating you...

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I did check the dates, most articles there are 8+ years old. I only did a bit of rounding.

I hope you at least learned something...

7. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I won't be taking sides in this debate, but there is more than one side to the coin. Here's a site where scientists take opposing sides on whether global warming is real, its effects, etc.:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/warming/debate/

The only reason I'm even aware of the skeptic side is because my dad, who's a retired chemist and science buff in general, is one of the skeptics. I'm just throwing the link out here as a launchpad of sorts.

[ February 17, 2005, 21:42: Message edited by: Beren ]

8. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    On a semi-related note...

You have to love Greenpeace

Edit: Great link Beren. All sorts of good reading from the Pro and Con side.

9. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Perhaps, just perhaps that would be a good thing.

On the other hand, after reading Beren's link, the developed countries at this age caused about 80% of the problem, and they have the means to at least start to solve the problem.

I'm not sure where I stand on this issue. On the one hand I am behind the kyoto agreement 100%. No matter where you stand this IS the time to act. At this point more and more countries are climbing up the ladder so to speak. Main cause is probably globalisation, whether globablisation is the solution to many problems (unemployment, poverty, even environmental problems) or the cause (of the same issues that may solve them) is up for debate still. But in both cases it is now time to act whether you believe in global warming or not, it is a scientific fact that we can AT LEAST TRY.

Thing is I think that 'natural' things are always happening for a reason. If that would mean ultimate destruction for human kind it would not be the first time. Maybe not with humans but many other species have come extinct in this earths time without the influence of man. I do not doubt that we are ****ing this world up big time but on the flipside of that coin I also believe that nature will take measures to ensure that it won't come to the ultimate destruction of the planet. What is 3000 (advanced) human years on a planet that has been around for about a few billion years. I am not so arrogant to believe that we can destroy a planet.

10. Taluntain

Media:
    People keep missing the point. The point is not whether this will destroy the planet. It won't. Hardly anything could. Even unimaginable amounts of damage humans could do would in the long run "only" take a few millions years for the earth to repair. (Setting aside the issue of how much life on the planet WOULD die out forever because of it.) But the average life expectancy of a species is much less, and hoping that humans will still be around in a few million years is just that, a hope. Practically the entire modern civilization & culture has developed in only a few thousand years. This is an infinitely small amount of time in the life of this planet. Yet in millions of years before nothing living on the planet has managed to dirty it up to the extent the human race has in barely a few hundred years. THAT is the problem.

The real issue is how dirty a planet we are leaving to our descendants. Because the less that is being done about it now, the more will have to be done later (and the longer it takes, the worse the consequences of the delays will be). But at some point both ends meet, and there won't be any more "leaving it for future generations to fix". And if we don't start doing something about it right away, there'll be mad scrambling to do something at a point where it will probably already be too late to prevent the worst backlash.

[ February 18, 2005, 22:29: Message edited by: Taluntain ]

11. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

It's not even what we'll leave for our descendants - it's also what we're leaving for ourselves in a few years. From a purely selfish point of view, we should be worried about such things as running out of oil and natural gas, the loss of wilderness areas to relax in, increased health problems from polluted air, loss of certain animals that are interesting to look at, loss of plants that may provide cures for human diseases. There are any number of environmental issues that could affect each of us personally, even if you don't give two hoots about looking after the earth or don't care about nature.

12. Taluntain

Media:
  13. Apeman Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Should we? Because last I heard that cars who use pretty much the major part of these resources are perfectly capable of running on alternative fuels but are held back by several influential peoples.

I agree with acting now though, that's literally what I posted in my previous post.

14. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    What alternative fuels?

15. Taluntain

Media:
    We've discussed it here before, make a search if you want to find out. But it's pretty much off-topic in this thread.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.