1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

KOTOR best game series? I think so.

Discussion in 'Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Series' started by Dragon's Jewel, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Am I obssessed? Yeah, maybe a little. I'm now on my second run through the second game, after completing the first one twice (I couldn't continue to live until I had managed to get a successful romance ... and keep in mind that I have a brand new baby).
    So here's the topic, actually.. does anyone know if they're ever going to come out with a third? You know, eventually. Discussions about the awesomeness of KOTOR is okay too ;)

2. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Yes, KotOR is awesome. Awesome, I'm telling you. As was my Scout/Consular (Revan) and my Consular/Jedi Master (Exile) who pwned everyone in melee without trying hard. ;)

I loved the dialogues in KotOR 1. Perhaps they were somewhat better technically in 2. Generally, 2 was different. A bit like a different kind of game. Can't say which one I prefer but maybe even actually 1. Again, don't hold me to this.

And KotOR 3 seems to be already in the making, to answer your question. ;) It's definitely going to come out.

3. Pac man Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

I completely fell in love with KotOR too, but not as much as i loved the BG series, or NWN. Dunno why, but i guess the medieval sort of setting always works better for me than the futuristic one.

4. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

i'm not a star wars fan but i loved KotOR. 2 could've been so much better though.

5. The Kilted Crusader

The Kilted Crusader The Famous Last words "Hey guys, watch THIS!" Veteran

I love both games immensely. The first is definately better though, for me, it was because

SPOILER

you were Revan. The Exile wasn't quite as good (Although that scene where he rams his lightsabre through the Jedi stone thing was pretty damn awesome.)

edit: well spotted Enagonios

[ September 19, 2005, 18:23: Message edited by: The Kilted Crusader ]

6. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

shoulda put the "spoiler" above the "you were revan line" :p ;) although it was cooler being revan that's not why i preferred part 1. it's because they rushed part 2 out that there were so many bugs and unexplained/unresolved plot stuff.

7. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

I don't think at 2 games it can be best series ever (I personally think that QfG held its quality for 5 games, so I pick that).

However it's certainly one of the best series of the past few years, and I'm looking forward to any KotOR 3.

8. Enagonios Gems: 31/31

if consistency is a criteria then I'd have to say that the Final Fantasy series is the best ever. Even their spin-off FF Tactics was awesome.

9. Drugar

Drugar And now... we wait! Veteran

Media:
    I played the second KotOR game shortly after finishing the first. The thing I didn't like was that the story didn't continue. Ywes, there was a reference to Revan in the game, but not as prominent as I hoped for. I understand the reasons for this though.

Furthermore I like the first game more than the second.

10. Malovae Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

I liked KOTOR 1 but number 2 is a bit, idon't know... slap dash?? not as polished. I liked the fact they removed the XP cap though.

11. NonSequitur Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

It'd be too early to say "greatest game series ever", since it's only two games in (with a third undoubtedly in the works). It has the potential to be that good, though. Time will tell, although I have to agree that the FF series is, for longevity and quality, very hard to match. The QfG series is also a hard act to follow, although I never played QfG 5.

------------------------------

*potential spoilers*

I greatly enjoyed KOTOR, especially the dialogues, NPC interactions (although I thought the romance for female PCs was a bit of a dud, unless you were evil) and the general all-round spiffiness of using lightsabers. The romance for male PCs was, in my opinion, much more linear than the ones in BG2, yet it was at least as well-written and believable, and very enjoyable no matter the ultimate outcome.

My personal favourite NPC from KOTOR was HK-47; it was something of a pity that even though he's in KOTOR 2, he's not the droid he used to be. The conversation interjections he made were hilarious, and typically involved a desire to engage in some gratuitous violence, or to push you towards it with a hopeful tone of voice. The Tanis interjection was, IMO, one of the best dialogues in the game ("Negative - I just don't like organic meatbags. Uh, except for the master, of course. Ha ha."), closely followed by the repair dialogues about his former owners.

12. Sparhawk the Pandion Gems: 14/31

'1% chance of imminent violence. Though that may just be wishful thinking on my part, master.'

HK-47 is great :)

13. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

My big problem with KotOR is that it forces you to be a Jedi. The only option you get is an affirmative, and so the player is unable to make a decision. It's really that moment that puts me off playing it again. Also, it has the 5 and 3 litre bottles to make 4 litres, which I still can't do. I've always managed it by trial and error. And Jolee was annoying.

I preferred 2, buggy though it was. I can't remember it very well, but it was nice that you weren't always in control of the main character. He/she became less the centre of the world, which allowed a story to unfold. Shame about the ending.

14. wenchwogg Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Veteran

KOTOR 1 + 2 are two of my favorite games I own. I think I preferred the second to the first, just because it topped the original in pretty much every way (except for maybe the story).

I've only played through both games once, and I was Darkside :cool:

One of these days I'll force myself to be good, I swear!

15. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I thought KotOR 1 was great; I haven't bought the second one yet, but I will...

Re the bottles:
    </font>
    1. Fill the 5L bottle and then fill the 3L bottle from the 5L bottle. You now have 2L in the 5L bottle and 3L in the 3L bottle.
    2. Empty the 3L bottle, then pour the 2L from the 5L bottle into the 3L bottle. You now have 2L in the 3L bottle and an empty 5L bottle.
    3. Fill the 5L bottle. You now have 5L in the 5L bottle and 2L in the 3L bottle.
    4. Fill the 3L bottle from the 5L bottle. Since the 3L had 2L in it already, it takes 1L to fill it, leaving 4L in the 5L bottle.

16. Alavin

Alavin If I wanted your view, I'd read your entrails Veteran

:D Thanks a lot! I've saved that to a txt file for next time.

17. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who noticed the broken plots in 2, since I thought I had missed something somewhere. I definitely prefer 1, but it's kinda like asking me if I prefer sour cream and onion or barbeque chips... very hard to choose. And I personally loved the female romance in 1.

Yay KOTOR 3!!

18. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    ****Might contain some spoiler for both Kotors****

Yeah Kotor rocks. Thanks goodness I'm not the only one who though that their were plot holes in the second. I agree with Alavin, it'll be nice for the third NOT to be a Jedi, I'd really love to be a Han Solo-style badass. Is it me or I'm the only one who find that being THE guy in video games get kinda repetitive? I mean in the first you were Revan, in the second your very presence was a threat to the universe (kinda cool though ;) ). I mean come on I want to be a no name Jedi who end up beating every menace and restore peace!

Jedi master 1; Hey X saved the day All praise X
    Jedi master 2; Who the hell is X?
    Jedi master 1; Dunno some Jedi, but he *did* save the day
    Jedi mastee 2; Oh okay, well good job X.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.