1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Knee Problems + Cause for worry

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Benan, Feb 25, 2004.

1. Benan Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Okay...well about 5 years ago I ****ed my knee up really badly. To the point that I needed an operation where they went in and removed torn cartilidge and repaired some damage. I was on crutches for about 5 weeks and then I went through 4 months of physiotherapy hell.

And then Saturday night happened. In my hockey game about 7 minutes into the first period I was rushing towards the net, I tried to stop and my feet went out from under me. I was at the goaline when I fell and I slide into the boards fulltilt knees and face first. I hit so hard that my visor blew apart. When I tried to stand my right knee couldn't support my weight and I fell again. So then I was trying to crawl to the bench and all I was thinking was about the hell that I had went through. After I got helped to the dressing room I torn off my shin pad and right away my knee was swollen huge. But I was able to walk. So I finished the game and today it hurts and it swollen. I don't know if theres a major problem yet.

I went to the doctor and he told me that I ust bruised the tissue underneath the Knee Cap, and it will be sore, but it will heal without any major complications.

But then today I began to feel an insanly sharp, almost like something was slowly tearing pain in the front of my knee below the knee cap. It was to the point that I couldn't straighten my knee completley nor could I bend it more than a little.

So if it doesn't improve over the nex 5-7 days I'll be going to see Doc Randy Gregg.

And yes for those that may remember him, he is the same Randy Gregg that played for the Edmonton Oilers in the mid 80's.

2. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Knees are a nightmare. I'm sure they never recover properly once you stuff them the first time (and most of us have stuffed one or other of them at least once). Never heard of your doctor. Are you sure he knows what he's talking about? Sounds pretty painful.

3. JSBB Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

If I were you I would at least call a doctor to see if the pain/lack of mobility that you are experience are normal.

Of course I remember Randy Gregg. It is undoubtedly unfair that I would instantly question his medical credentials due to his hockey career but I imagine that is something he deals with all the time.

Does he ever show off his Stanley Cup rings?

4. Faragon Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

Veteran

Okay, first of all, when you've taken such a bad hit that your legs can't support your weight... you do not finish the game! I see this with so many patients of mine, and believe me, if they'd just give the knee some rest instead of going out and putting more strain on it again, they'd be doing themselves a favour.

You should've put ice on the knee as soon as you noticed it was swollen. This would've prevented the swelling from getting out of hand.

From what you describe, my guess is that you've got a pretty big inflammation going on in your knee. The inflammation is there to clean up dead tissue. As an extra effect, the knee will swell up, to make sure you don't put the knee to too much use. (I could give you a long explanation on this, but I don't have the time and doubt you care :p ) This is probably why you cant stretch or bend it a lot.

I highlighted "guess", because I've got nothing to go on beside from what you've said sofar. Without some testing of my own, I can't tell for sure. So that's the best I can do for you, giving you a guess on what it is. Sorry.

You can treat the knee with cold packs in order to keep the pain down, but it won't be more than symptomatical treatment. The knee will have to fix this on its own. If it is what I think it is, this should heal itself well within two weeks, however, as I said, I'm guessing here. (I do agree with the diagnosis your doc gave you.)

Good luck. If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them as good as possible.

5. Benan Gems: 20/31

From when I fell until I got to the bench I couldn't put weight on it, after that it was fine, just a little sore.

I figured it would just be similar to a dead leg. I walked around the dressing room and iced it while I was in there and during the intermissions.

I hope that maybe yesterday was because I got a little overactive in helping my mom.

Randy Gregg is a really doctor when it's sports related. He's the guy I've gone to about my knees previously and for my ankle when I tore a ligiment there. The reason why he played in the NHL actually was so that he could pay for medical school. Thats what always found weird.

He doesn't show off his Stanley Cup ring, I have seen it though.

6. Sarevok• Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Get the sledgehammer and beat it until it doesn’t hurt!

7. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Hope you feel better soon.

Knees are hell, I have problems with my own. IF you have problems with them once then you are more likely to do something else to them at some point - usually because you are unlucky enough to have something done to them in the first place :heh:

Just try to keep in under ice and out of action for a day or two. But I guess I'm just repeating Faragorn, who knows more, so I'll shut up ;)

8. Benan Gems: 20/31

Thats the final solution.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.