1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Killing Tarnesh, the wizard in the Friendly Arm

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Tiamat, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

I always try ot to use the wand. It can be sold for 250 gp and that's much money in the beginning of the game.

Bye the way, did you already kill the Ogre with the 2 belts? Should also be very hard with only two characters.

Only two characters are just not enough, you would egt problems soon. So I would advice when you have a good party, to take Khalid and Jaheira. It is also possible to play with Xzar and Montaron, they are evil but useful in the very beginning, later you can dump them or get rid of them. They have something to do in Nashkel, so it can also give you an additional quest, however, in my party they never reached Nashkel alive :)

Spoiler:

Bye the way, you already found the ring that is hidden in the tree? (unless you installed a patch)

2. Maertyn

Maertyn There's nothing I cannot embrace! Veteran

[​IMG] I killed the ogre this way: My fighter attracted its attention and ran around a bunch of trees. Imoen charged it with arrows. After 2 minutes he fell down. Foolish as ever I put on the two belts - and Mr. Imoen wasn't too pleased with this action...

3. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] A few spoiler locations for early NPC's...

Tiamat,

Don't think you just have to have Khalid and Jaheira. On the way to Nashkel you can recruit Garrick and Kaigan (both Beregost), and just a little deviation to the west for Kivan, at High Hedge. Just noth of Friendly Arm is Atjantis. Viconia is in the Wood of Sharp Teeth, to the east of Friendly Arm.

4. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] I was quite nice to her, actually. Even suggested that she should come with me and Gorion, but.... Oh well. No wand. I temporarily picked up Khalid and Jaheira, but replaced them with Kivan and Ajantis. I took Dynaheir without Minsc (I HATE HIM!!!) and am now debating between Coran and Yeslick (extra fighter both ways, but do I want an extra thief or an extra cleric?)

5. Rangstrom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Don't ask me why but I've been running quite a few pcs through chs 1&2 lately. It seems that the mc characters get Imoen with more exp but no wand. The engine may flag them as greater than level 1. (also my mc pcs tend to have lower charisma--that may make a difference)

6. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

To be honest i'm wierd. When i play this guy or fight as is the case, i run headlong at him so that the guardsdon't attack him cos if they do and kill him you don't get the full 120xp which is valuble early in the game. And while charging, i'd get my magic-user usually myself or Xzar to cast a spell on him before he casts mirror image or magic missile. And then i pummel hi with physical and magical attacks until he sucumbs taking lots of nice magical treasures.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Rangstorm ---> Why don't you convert your game to a single player game??? That has many advantages, for example the healing spells cast on rest etc.

8. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

What do you have to say to get that wand of magic missiles? My charisma was 18, actually. What I do when I want my PC to level up fast: I finish a quest, and when it's time to get the EXP reward (by talking to someone, for example), I kick out my party members, get all the EXP myself, and then take them back. This wouldn't work on Viconia or Kivan, though, because they leave forever if you kick them out of your party. :(

9. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

I didn't have any problems with that wizard, but I keep getting nailed by the chick in Beregoth that attacks you when you enter the inn and the dwarf at the inn in Nashkel. Can these be defeated at early levels? Everyone with me is lvl 1 or 2, and I can't get around the chick's magic casting with the lame spells available to Jaheira and Branwen.

10. Rangstrom Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Give everyone missle weapons: bows and slings. They fire off fairly fast and usually disrupt spell casting. And I don't think that the -4 adjustment to thaco (or was that armor?) when using ranged weapons in melee is implemented in bg1. I found out the hard way that it is in bg2.

11. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

For the dwarf bounty hunter in Beregost putting the characters with the lowest armour class at the front of the party and hitting him lots until he dies is the usual straightforward tactic that works well. Also, if you've got Viconia in the party, her command word die works pretty well on him, although it sometimes takes 2 castings, but it is a quick spell.
    For the woman in Nashkel, low speed weapons to disrupt her spell casting is the best bet, and have eveyone equipped with missile weapons in case she gets her entangle spell off. Both fights can be done with minimum fuss at levels 1 and 2. Again, the priest spell command word die can help you out there. Good hunting Shralp

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.