1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kill Bill!

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Sir Belisarius, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
  2. BossBandor Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

saw kill bill yesterday, thought it was great! the second half set in japan just reminded me of all the old 60's and 70's japanese animes I watched when little. Especially the music after
    O-Ren is killed, typical song with flutes playing. Very nostalgic...

3. Manus Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

I agree, it starts off a little weird (but hey, what QT movie doesn't) but that won't even cross your mind once the anime starts. Everything else after that is just a great blissful blur.

Uma Thurman is not a very fluid swordsman(woman?) but trust me, you have probably seen little else to compare. I don't even know of many live-action japanese titles like this.

Anyone who's worried that it's just an action flick, don't. The fighting is unparralelled (at least in the west), but there is also a lot of humour, psychology, excellent filmwork and soundtrack, and plenty enough to set it apart even from other Quentin Tarantino movies!

4. Aldazar Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Saw it 4 days ago and DAMN!
    Supremely entertaining, I wouldn't say it's my fave QT but it's a VERY close second to Pulp Fiction. As I posted on Rotten Tomatoes, some parts were a little annoying at first (such as the dramatic music) but not for very long.
    Definite recommendation - to quote Breckin Meyer in Clueless: "Two thumbs up, fine holiday fun"

5. Foradasthar Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Not much to say so I won't spoil. But it's worth it, definitely. This is not a simple action film. I can't imagine where people got that idea from. In fact, anyone going in to see a purely action film will get bored. I did, until I realised that it was not what this movie was for.

There are so many incredibly well done subtle and everything but such hints to the origins of the ideas for this movie. Tarantino has made it in such a way that its chapters are divided into different stories of different times and people, making it not entirely unlike Pulp Fiction in style. Even for this, the movie does not become confusing or 'artistic' beyond what is needed. It is complete entertainment, in pure Quentin Tarantino style. It isn't better than his previous movies, so don't expect that. But it isn't worse either. Perfect in what it does, this is a must for anyone who's liked Tarantino's previous works.

6. Arabwel

Media:
    Seen it now. It's totally wow.

Anyone else got reminded of Shura? (Well, both Shuras, in fact...) when watching?

Useless note: One of the songs in the movie was titled "Shura no Hana", meaning "Flower of Carnage"....

7. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] So Shura actually means "flower"?!?!? I knew he was just a pu$$ycat under that tough blood soaked exterior!!! :lol: :lol: :grin: :spin:

Since when is *****cat a bad word?!?!?!?!?

8. Arabwel

Media:
    Nah, blame the Japanese for having a funky grammar. "Hana" means flower. "no" is something akin to "of", I think, and the syntax is reversed, or screwed up, or anything.

*hands Bel a gun*

There, shoot yourself before Shura dices you.

9. Shura Gems: 25/31
    Latest gem: Moonbar

[​IMG] Hana means flower you fool!

Shura means violence and carnage! Japanese syntax is different from English!

Shura No Hana means Flower of Carnage! Like Shura No Ken means Sword of Carnage/Shura!

Argh! :mad: :mad:

*Dices Sir Bel*

10. Arabwel

Media:
    Damn! I was too late!

But seriously, I couldn't get the association with SHura out of my mind, especially in the Yakuza scene....

11. Sir Belisarius

Sir Belisarius Viconia's Boy Toy Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    [​IMG] Teeheee hee hee hee hee teehee teehee!!!!! :lol: :grin: :spin: :roll: :rolling: :p

12. Arabwel

Media:
    Sir Bel, dija just become Morte's long lost cousin or what? A laughing skull, after Shura diced you?

:thumb:

13. Grovflab Gems: 13/31

Fianlly got to see it. Nice with some action for a change. Some moments in the movie did indeeed give flashback to Pulp Fiction, but the anime-part reminded me more of the FPS Outlaws in style.

14. Oxymore Gems: 13/31

Seen it, loved it, won't recommend it to people ... bla bla bla...

*spoilers*

A pal of mine had an idea: Thurman lost her child four years ago, the last line of the movie is saying the child is still alive. Remember the girl of the black woman Uma's knifing with in the beginning, four years old right? Never seen the dad... the girl didn't look "all black" so maybe, just maybe, she's a metis from a black male and a certain white female. Name of the little girl is Nikki, we never hear the name of Uma's character... Would a mother use her daughter's pic to try and fool an enemy, or perhaps it's not "her" daughter and she's hoping for some chemistry to work between Thurman and the kid, giving her an edge. The whole "if you're still bitter, I'll be waiting" part would be a hint of a certain continuity (parity?)

Baseless speculation or clear vision?

15. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I haven't seen it yet, but am planning to. It sounds really gruesome :grin: which is my kind of film

16. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    I saw it last week. I wasn't impressed.

Tarantino brought out as many tricks as he could, but it's painfully obvious that the marketting boys got hold of him and said that he could extend it as much as he wanted, gaining extra dosh on the way.

Put poor quality anime in? Sure. Ludicrously expansive fights? No problem. Deal with it in fractured parts? Hey - who cares about the audience? They'll see the three in a row special to try and keep track, which gives us extra money.

The black and white part was, I think, meant to tell us that the huge fight scene wasn't important. If it wasn't important, why have it in? It's padding, pure and simple. What relevance did the sushi swordsmaker have? Unless more comes out, it's padding.

Tarantino forgot that less is more, when trying to show people things, and he's listened to his wallet this time. Two extra films means three times the wonga, eh? I don't think I'll bother going to see the rest.

Yeah, great action for a while, but then it goes over the top.

It's original, but tbh, thats about the only positive thing I have to say about it. Truth be told I'll probably go and see the next ones just to see if any of the plot is explained at all, and any of the OTT crap I spent money to watch holds any relevence to... anything.

Why was Uma Thurmans character attacked on her wedding day?

Why was the female Assassin group formed in the first place?

How is she such a good martial artist if she wasn't part of the group? Or was she?

Why did Tarrantino drag Darryl Hannah and David Carradine (or whatever his name is) out from the other side of the hill again?

Why does the film block her name out? (although thats typical Tarrantino.. the case in Pulp Fiction anyone?)

... I have a plethora of other questions I hope are answered, but they'll do to be going on with.

17. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've seen the movie recently, and I was disappointed. The cameo of the Sherrif from From Dusk Till Dawn was funny. As for Tarantino's sense of humor, well, I don't expect him to grow up any time soon; he still has the same sort of juvenile piss jokes that characterised his past films. Only that they aren't really new anymore.
    As usual, he plays with trashy clichès - like the ominous Bill, the crazy 88 - why not the whacky 4, the seven bladewhirling blacksmith's transvestite trainees or the Lullaby Inc. assassination squad ... :rolleyes:
    In the end there wasn't anything really knew. He jumped on the japan and manga trend bandwagon. I know many, many much better asian action films. With good or at least new jokes.

In the end not even the nice carnage was able to lift up the film for me. Tarantino, you tire me.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.