1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kensai

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by maxiwoo, Apr 26, 2001.

1. Lothar Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I am very confused. People keep mentioning the phrase 'going solo,' or 'soloing.' What are you talking about? I see constant references about party members.

Alright, I may be exaggerating a bit, but come on, get your terminology right. I quote 'I'm going solo as a kensai halfling with keldorn.' Going with Keldorn automatically makes it not solo, even more so if you have Aerie.

Some people...

2. volkov_2001 Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

[​IMG] is kensai so weak!!!???.....i dont think so...let it drink potion of invulnerbility(watever)...and it has a veri low AC

3. miniwoo Guest

sorry, i misused the tem going solo. I thought i was going to go thru all the way with the kensai (who is now a pile of bones in the sewers), but deceided he was too weak on his own and needed someone with armour - keldorn.

But anyway, i'm being an undead slayer with a party of tanks, now.

4. ayecapitan Guest

and still, if ye think when ye play, kensai can be brought thru bg2 alone
    Just dont use the "Enemy Sighted - RAM!" technique

5. demonprince Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

To max out a kensai AC, wouldn't this be the ultimate:
    Elven 19 Dex(-6)
    +2 Cloak of protection(-2)
    Ring of Gaxx(-2)
    Ring of Earth Elemetal control(-1)
    Dakkon Zerth Blade(-2)
    Dusty Rose Ioun Stone(-1), or helm

And can't they use shields? With a +4 Shield, that's another -5, making an AC total of -9? Or just a -4 if your feeling like a second blade?

--Demonprince

6. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Haven't you read the manual?
    Kensai are one with the sword and they love to fight...without encumbrance.... So no armour OR SHIELDS!
    BTW, you can only get the Ring of Gaxx if you've already made a good start and are a chapter 3 or so, provided that you know what to use against the man/skeleton/lich...
    So don't even think about it...

7. Bruce the Monk Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

The best defence is offence, have your kensai arm with celestial fury and cromflarye (sorry about the spelling), 25 strength and ability to stun any opponent and inflic large amount of damage. Not many people can stand in your way.

Its a good idea useing a halfing as kensai, since they get the best save vs spell and death.

8. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Earl Grey: I mixed up the kensai with my kensai-mage, mea culpa, he was however (naturally, as a mage) able to cast ironskin/ stoneskin on himself, sorry.

However: This druid woodskin (?! - direct translation from german) spell could help ;)

[This message has been edited by Ragusa (edited May 01, 2001).]

9. Trunculo Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

I think you mean "bark skin". Wood skin is what you get in the lust chambers. :)

10. Earl Grey

Earl Grey Mmm... hot tea! Veteran

[​IMG] LOL! Good point, ayecapitan! :D

Kensai to party:Arrrr! Ramming speed me friends! Cha-a-arge!
    Cleric in party:There's a brave Kensai. He's the reason I can cast Heal in my sleep...

11. kasio Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

TO Ayecaptain: "Best proficiencies for a Kensai is (IMO) dagger/short sword - 2 weapon style
    laugh, but their speed factor will grant massive number of hits per round and 2 weapon style will make it more!"
    High speed factor only lets to determine who hits 1st. (When combat starts both sides roll "initiative roll" (d20) and then Speed factor is subtracted from this number. highest number hits 1st). So the sped factor is one of the least significant weapons characteristics....

12. shikaka Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

what about the shield amulet, i heard it's good enough to keep the ac down plus it has 40 charges enough to last the whole game

13. Da Punisher Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Kensai is good enough of itself.
    BTW. R'syil or something, you said Minsc and Keldorn take damage.
    Well about Minsc, I can say that at the end, he had killed 487 characters, While my own half-orc Barbarian had 655, so that could be right, but Keldorn??!!
    He's the best character there is in the whole game! Give him Carsomyr and two profslots in two handed weapon, girdle of hill giant strength and gauntlets of dexterity. Use wish and ask for full plate +2 and he'll never die in the whole game, at least not with me!
    He deals out 30-40 damage per hit and has A LOT of critical hits, resulting in 50-60 damage per hit. At the end of the game he had 598 kills!
    And I got him after I wandered around for quite some days at the beginning!
    So take Keldorn with u and you'll do just fine. Maybe Aerie would be a nice addition, but if you don't want to...

14. Vicsun Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

No he will not die! He will compensate for the poor strengh with the gridle of hill/frost giant strengh, and crom feyer later.Kensais can use gridles:
    Kensai: Restrictions: cannot wear armour, grauntlets or braces. Cannot use missle wrapons.
    I don't get why are you guys so sarcastic.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.