1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Kenneth Copeland: My financial records belong to God

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Ragusa, Jul 2, 2008.

?

Is Kenneth Copeland ...

1. Greedy and Creepy.

17 vote(s)
    89.5%
  2. Creepy.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. A true, if creepy, Man of God.

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  1. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Well, I don't know if the 'salary' being talked about was done through allowances or whether the CPA you talked to assumed a church would be the same as any other tax-exempt institution (which Martaug's post indicates it isn't), but I know the salary in discussion was tax exempt.

2. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    The difference as I understand it is that, while a church isn't required to withhold income tax or FICA from the compensation that it pays its ministers, the ministers themselves still have to pay taxes on their income. That said, it doesn't appear at all uncommon for churches to pay their ministers through a series of "allowances", so I don't doubt in the least what your brother is telling you about his compensation being tax-free.

3. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Paging Snook, here I am.

1. Churches are strange entities in the US tax code. They are basically non-entities and do not have to file tax returns except for their unrelated business income. The majority of them have never filed a tax return and fly completly under the radar. To call them tax-exempt is almost incorrect as most tax-exempt entities are 501(c)(3) entities which are classified as "public charities". The IRS has a huge problem with all of this, but there isn't much they can do. In order to go after a church (or temple, mosque, etc.) they first have to prove that it really isn't a church. There are plenty of scammers who create phony churches and declare themselves the minister. This all brings us to point 2.

2. How are ministers (which includes rabbis, imans, preists, and anybody else who runs a group of worship) taxed. The salary paid to the minister is taxable. However, ministers also receive a "housing allowance". This housing allowance is treated as a "sole propertiership" on the ministers tax return. The amount they receive is the income. Now comes the great part. All of the ministers expenses to run their household are deductions against this income. This includes bascially everything in their life (mortgage payments, real estate taxes, food, supplies, repairs, clothing, and everything else that a claim can be made they need to do to run the household.

3. It doesn't take a genius to see, that most ministers get a very low salary, and as huge of a housing allowance as they can can squeeze out of their church. This is why this entire area is rife with fraud.

4. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

So at what point is it no longer Tax Evasion and straight up Fraud? It sounds as if Copeland is abusing his expense account, housing allowance and whatever else he milks his congregation for.

Makes me think that paid ministry is a bad Idea...

5. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Exactly, and that is why the IRS always has fits as the religious organizations do not have to file returns and they have a very hard time proving anything. With a public charity the government has an interest in making sure that the donor's wishes are carried out. Since religous organizaitons are not public charities there really isn't anyone with the ability to look into it. Therefore if you lead your own church and convince enough people to give you enough money you can buy pretty much whatever you want tax free. There have been cases where people have bought islands and huge estates all for the express purpose of the minister's house and to run the operations.

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I wonder how it is over here, I have actually no idea. Up until a decade or so ago the protestant church and the state were the same entity while there were still other churches. Now the old state church is officially separated and on it's own but it still own's like gazillions in land and property not to mention that you have actively leave it if you don't want to tithe them which means that they have the right to collect tithes as taxes and your default state is a paying member. You have to make a conscious decision to leave. It is completely screwed up.

Churches (religions) should just be viewed as profit seeking corporations and taxed and audited as such. Oh, if they were, wonder if they could be charged with fraud or at least misleading advertisement. ;)

7. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    The tax privilege also exists in Germany. We don't tax churches, but we set the bar of what's a church much higher than in the US. Consequently Germany treats non-churches like a profit seeking enterprises. That is probably Scientology's biggest problem with Germany. That German authorities also view them as an exploitative cult and a security risk probably comes second. But I digress.

8. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I believe that the onus should be on the church involved to prove that it is a charitable institution and therefore should be tax free. Sounds like the Germans have it down pretty well.

joacqin, how difficult is it to opt out of membership in that former state church you mentioned? I agree that the default setting should be a non-member, with people who desire to have their income given to the church being the ones who need to fill out forms, rather than the other way around. A sacrifice that someone else makes with your money without your express consent isn't really a sacrifice in the Biblical sense!

9. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

It's not that hard at all to get out of the Swedish Church; just fill in some papers and you're done with it.

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Yeah, it isn't hard but it is something you have to actively do. It took me eight years to get around to it, did it just this spring, and I think most of you know my views about religion.

11. Morgoroth

Morgoroth Just because I happen to have tentacles, it doesn'

Unless the state church system is very different in Sweden (which I doubt since we got our system from them) I think the default setting is in fact non-member, however in practice all children are registered under the religion that their parents are registered in and because most if not all people have historically been member of the state church (or in our case churches since the Orthodox church also has a similar status) it is up to someone in the family to cut those ties. Neither of my parents are very religious but they are still members of the state church the same goes for me. I guess it's sort of a tradition to be a member even if you're not religious and it takes someone with sufficent conviction to break that tradition.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.