1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Just finished watching the LAST EVER episode of Voyager...

Discussion in 'Whatnots' started by Fljotsdale, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Athalon Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Hmm... I liked all SF shows, though some more than others. After a few seasons of Babylon 5 going back to Star Trek (Voyager) was awful. You don't even realize how awfully predictable everything there is until you try a show that actually takes into account things like they probably will be, without magical solutions to most problems like in Star Trek.

I especially hate the time travelling business; I consider it as a last option when the director gets so stuck (or so without any other ideas) that he needs a magic wand which can fix any screw-up. I mean, if it's so simple, why would the time travelling ever end? Every side could simply do it over and over again, especially the Borg which have plenty of machinery & manpower to spare.

Though I loved TNG (you simply gotta love Picard), I can't say that it's even close to being realistic. For God's sake; 99.9% of species they encounter are humanoid. The chance of life developing even remotely like it did on Earth somewhere else is so slim that meeting anything resembling humans in universe is practially impossible.

At least B5 makes the effort of showing many species that don't even remotely look like humans. (Although Trek does try in some instances.)

Unfortunately they only showed a couple seasons of each here, so I can't really speak for any series as a whole, but those are my impressions.

P.S.
    To all unfamiliar with how most non-English speaking countries in Europe deal with programmes that aren't in their tongue: we get subtitles in our native language displayed, but the movie/episode/whatever still uses all the voices/sounds/etc from the original. This excludes Germany and France and maybe some others who can afford to translate everything into their own language, mind.

3. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Okay Athalon, there isn't any problem. I think my reaction was a little exaggerated, so sorry. Taluntain: in Hungary we translate almost every film and series. We can watch the films with the original language on the satellite programs, but most of the people prefer the films in our language.

[This message has been edited by Alyr Arkhon (edited August 11, 2001).]

4. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I am a fan of Star Trek but I had to say one thing about voyager and that is IS they where going to hull but home they should done nothing but. However if they where going to steem around doing science expiraments they should of done that and not been swiching back and forth between them.

Tal: I have to agree Babalon 5 rocks.

5. Alex Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Veteran

Tal: So what they were all humanoid? It's rather difficult to some up with a unique and clever alien lifeform, let alone again and again. B5's aliens mostely looked rather lame, although unique. Even still, if alien life is ever encountered I'd almost wager they'd be somewhat humanoid. Think about it. Could you come up with a significately more effecient carbon based organism body structure, while not overdoing thier physical prowess and endurance to the point where they'd never need to develop intelligence? I doubt it. 2 limbs for movement, 2 addition limbs for object manipulation, central complex for energy production and respiration, with a fifth appendage containing the brain and sensory organs, located on top. Very effective for its purpose. Aqatic worlds are the only ones I could see sentience possible in a non-humanoid lifeform, even then with the inability to use combustion they would never advance beyond our renaissance. Therefore humanoid aliens are not that unlikely.

[This message has been edited by Alex (edited August 13, 2001).]

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I disagree. The number of alien lifeforms used (that is, being shown over and over again) in any SF show is so small that each could be totally different than the other.

As for humanoid lifeforms that could be encountered... Yes, for our solar system and any near by if you base it on life as it developed on Earth. If dinosaurs hadn't died out due to some big disaster (something big hitting the Earth being the latest most popular theory), there would be no humans today. Lizards would rule our planet. Quite possibly achieving at least the same level of intelligence we're at now. True, they'd have two arms and legs (plus a tail which wouldn't go away that fast), but still they'd look more like monsters than humans.

And that's just one different scenario for Earth. No one has a clue how totally different lifeforms could evolve somewhere else. For one, they needn't even be anything more than parasites, possibly with genetic memory, using other more flexible species as hosts and breeding more of them simply for the purpose of sustaining their own parasitic species. The list goes on...

Try a species whose world is (near) totally covered with water. Over time it could develop intelligence much greater than that of our own (hey, we've evolved quickly in a few thousand years, but some other species could have head a million years head start, so it wouldn't matter if it took it them longer). And it wouldn't necessarilly leave much traces of a civilization even remotely resembling ours.

Of course, it would take a planet much more isolated, stable and relatively uneffected by any major disasters for this to happen, but it's a possibility. One of billions in the universe.

[This message has been edited by Taluntain (edited August 13, 2001).]

7. Silverblade Guest

I totally agree with Tal, the change we find any thing that lookes like us is very small. Some scientist on tv said: Reconising a life-form is difficult, because we don't know have evolution could have taken place (or something like that). So the change there is something humanoid out there is very small. Scientists are only hoping they ould find some sort of bacteria or an other creature with one cell.

And that thing Tal said about humans not being on earth and that lizards are intelligent and dominant species of a planet, you could see that in "Distant Origin", at the end of ST:VOY third season.

8. Maldir Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

I read that the chance of intelligent life developing elsewhere in the universe is very high; however, given the tiny amount of time our civilisation has been in existence in comparison with the age of the universe, the chance of meeting a civilisation at a comparable level of development to ours (as in Star Trek et al) is extremely small.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.