1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Just Bought the Game

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by ToddMcF2002, Nov 4, 2004.

1. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

[​IMG] Payed real money and everything. I tried the demo first and thought it was pretty slick.

Of course, I *loved* Temple of Elemental Evil so its hardly a surprise.

Almost nobody else liked this eh? I wonder how many gave it a shot. I've avoided it until now because of the reviews. Glad I gave it a whirl.

I wonder if anyone will ever read this :)

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Most people avoid it like the plague simply because of all the bugs, especially the system killer one... I hope you got all the patches...

3. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

What me worry? :) I've got the patches. I guess it goes on but never gets uninstalled right?

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Er, no... it uninstalls, but it also deletes everything else on the hard drive. It happens if you install it outside the default dir IIRC and don't install the patches...

5. lasgalen Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Quite liked it once I got my head around the combat rules, and advanced a little in levels (started hitting orogs more often than they hit me ;) ). Aside from the bugs, it just plods a bit cf other games.

6. Rednik Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

It's quite nice if you don't like lots of important registry entries.

7. Klimax Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I'm one of the few who loves this game. More than temple of EV cause this game is very long.

8. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

AHA!

Don't worry, I have an open mind. Really looking forward to giving it a fair shake.

9. seanyuk Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Agree with all of the above.
    The interface is still cumbersome but otherwise good fun from what I have explored so far.

10. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

So I've played the game for a few hours now and I'm engrossed enough to say I like it. Its simplistic compared to Temple of Elemental Evil in both graphics and gameplay complexity but I'm definately enjoying it.

Does anywone know if they implemented flanking bonuses? I keep doing it but I'm starting to wonder if it is just implemented as a standup fight like Baldurs or Icewind Dale. Boy do I miss that 5ft step from Temple!

Anyway - enjoying it!

[an update]

Finished the main level - boy talk about huge. Still like the game. Unfortunately I left behind a number of rooms and chests due to lack of a Rougue that can pick locks.

Any thoughts on that? I've only found one NPC so far - a sorceror.

[ December 12, 2004, 00:41: Message edited by: ToddMcF2002 ]

11. matthewdevcic Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

I can't wait to play it. bought it off ebay for $9 shipped. I'm just really woried about that bug that deletes your hard drive.

12. Alqualome Gems: 1/31

No need to worry, just use the Patch 1.1 to INSTALL the game first off, or (if it won't work but you get the same interface of the patch 1.1 when the autorun starts up) check if it isn't a 1.2 version: if so, you'll get a 1.2 on your hard drive.
    To uninstall use the 1.1 patch again.

I have installed and uninstalled this game several times, for a number of problems, using both a 1.0 and 1.2 CDs and then patching up to ver 1.4 and never experienced problems or loss of data of any sort.

13. Scot

Scot The Small One Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Yes, I think there's a rogue that will join you a little later on, so just mark all those unopened chests with a flag on your map.

Yes, the first level is huge, but it is just the first level of the first dungeon, there are three or four others, then there are several other dungeons. It is quite large, which is why I like it. Though I must confess, I recently got Planescape, and it has drawn my attention away from POR, but I will eventually go back and try to finish it, I've got so much put into it.

I've got a halforc barbarian with max str and con, level 10, he kills pretty much anything in two or three hits, with all of the double or triple damage weapons that you find throughout the game. Then a dwarf cleric, halfling rogue/ranger, elf sorceress, and some other NPCs that have joined throughout the game.

Good luck and have fun.

14. SatansBedFellow Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

If memory serves there is but one solitary rogue NPC - Tudo (who is around Level 12.) It does take a while to find him (This is not a concern, as all of the most powerful snd useful items can be aquired without the aid of a rogue).

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

You can give a few rogue levels to one of your characters, it will even improve progressing in his main class because you get many XP for disarming traps and opening locks.
    Use spells which increase int for disarming and dex for lockpicking.

16. maalri Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

A couple of suggestions-- first definitely give a level or two in rogue to a character- he will male up the lost level by getting more exp from picking and disarming. Second- you CAN bash open almost any chest (or magically destroy with fireball or the like while in combat) to get the goodies, but if it is trapped the trap will go off- the goods will never be damaged though. It is a HUGE in scope game- be ready for 100+ play hours and ENJOY, I did :)

17. Sleepsalot Gems: 1/31

Hi All,

I just got the game from a store called Big Lots for $2.00 I played it some I like it so far.

Wayne

18. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    It does indeed get repetitive after a while, but I quite enjoyed it through and through. Patch the hell out of it and you'll be fine. I've actually found the game much more enjoyable than ToEE. It's pure, simplistic dungeon crawl. If that's what you're into, you'll enjoy the game.

My personal recomendation is to use the following for your starting party:

One tank: I prefer a Paladin or Fighter
    One Monk: There aren't any monk NPC's, and they're quite good. I made mine a half-orc
    One rogue: Essential, as you won't find a rogue NPC until much too late in the game.
    One cleric: Considering all the undead in the game, this one is a necessity. For early combat help, throw in an extra level of fighter.

I would avoid:

Sorcerers: you find an excellent one early on)
    Rangers: ((Their skills aren't useful enough to justify having them)
    Halflings: (Severaly limits your weapon choices - long swords are two-handed, and two-handed weapons are off limits due to size)

Have fun

19. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

Avoid multiclassing your cleric, since half of your enemies will be undead. Even one fighter class is too much.
    You might even consider starting with 2 clerics, since they are very useful.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.