1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

JFK Conspiracy Theories

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Arctic Daishi, Mar 27, 2013.

?

Who do you think killed our 35th president?

1. Lee Harvey Oswald acted of his own volition.

72.7%
  2. The American government killed him.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Soviet government killed him.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. The "military industrial complex" killed him.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Political opponents killed him.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Ngo Dinh Diem had him killed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Lyndon B. Johnson had him killed.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. The "new world order" killed him.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Cubans (exiles and/or Castroites) killed him.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Other (state in reply)

27.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Arctic Daishi Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Media:
    I think you provided a very good analysis of why he was so popular. In spite of not passing anything in the way of "sweeping" domestic reforms, he is still always remembered as an "idea," of what could have been. A very young, charismatic man who will likely be best remembered for his policies toward Cuba than anything else; Bay of Pigs and the Cuban missile crisis.

2. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Well...there was that one other thing.

3. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    That he could do Marilyn with Jackie waiting not far away (and probably doing both in one night) puts Kennedy into the rank of "Supremely Awesome" on the macho chauvinistic scale.

4. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    DR - Yeah, but being assassinated isn't enough to deify someone if he wasn't popular to begin with. We don't hold similar feelings of esteem for Garfield and McKinley afterall. Lincoln, owing to the civil war, would have gone down as a historically great president even if he had not been assassinated.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Certainly. I just find it odd to think JFK would be best remembered for his policies toward Cuba. Call me ghoulish, but whenever he's mentioned the first thing that comes to my mind is...well, the whole exploding head thing.

That and EECH BEAN EIN BERLEENER.

6. Gaear

Gaear ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful

Media:
  7. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Ah yes, the famous "I am a jelly donut" quote.

As Ragusa will tell you, the grammatically correct way to say that quote would be: "Ich bin Berliner." If you instead say "Ich bin ein Berliner", it completely changes the meaning. By sticking the "ein" in there, you are no longer comparing yourself to a person(s), but instead to an inanimate object. "Ich bin ein Berliner" literally translates word for word as "I am a Berliner". But the "ein" changes it to comparing yourself to a thing. It just so happens that a "Berliner" is also a jelly-filled pastry.

Certainly an understandable, but still quite humorous, mistake. You'd think they would have found someone who was bilingual in German and English - they couldn't have been that hard to find - and run it past them first, instead of simply consulting an Engligh-German dictionary. It is rare for languages to translate word for word.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  9. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Media:
    Tal,

How humiliiating for me. I actually studied German for many years, and while I never heard of the debunking of this myth, I was in complete agreement with the grammar aspects. In German if you are saying you are from somewhere, or are something (as a profession) use of ein is not only unnecessary, but grammatically incorrect.

But with the explanation that he was saying he was symbollically a Berliner, as he obviously wasn't an actual resident of Berlin, it makes perfect sense.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  10. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

IMHO, Kennedy was an example of Charisma trumping Wisdom. I believe his political opponents had him killed. I have zero actual evidence for this belief, but I think it plausible. The killing of Oswald by Ruby just smells of coverup.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.