1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD newbie with many questions before first play (so no spoilers, please)

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale (Classic)' started by Felinoid, Jan 8, 2006.

1. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

If this is to horrible to bear, its no big problem to change/alter it with a little flick of nearinfinity, infact i could probablyl fix it for you. You would only need to place the spell tables for paladin and ranger (2x .2da files) in the override folder and that would be gonne.

And well, it sounds grand and all that, but it doesnt really make any difference. rangers and paldins suck with spells in both 2E and 3E just as much anyways.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

@raptor:
    Oh, that's not all of it. Unless you want to trudge in and take out everything not 2e (nearly half of what HoW puts in), I'm not interested. I'll probably do it myself somewhere down the line (might even make a mod of it), but for now HoW is a nono.
    That's not even close to the point. I wanted this game because it was the only 2e game left that I knew about, and HoW's 3e BS is a betrayal, pure and simple. I'll not allow it to befoul my laptop.

3. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Have you started yet Felinoid? Make sure you let us know how you're doing!

4. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

You were wondering about female SPers (with 2 names) who might make good bards. What about Spellbound or Dark Haired Beauty or TheBlackRose? All 3 sound musical or bardic.

Huh. I didn't realize ranger and pally's spells at level 6 wasn't with the PnP version. I figured it was an IWD thing, giving players a chance to get those spells when they couldn't in BG. Those games were made around the same time, right? :hmm:

5. Felinoid

@Klorox:
    Nope, not yet. I've yet to apply the patch (would have to transfer it from this computer to my laptop first), and I still have those last two slots open in my party. I've got a female bard rolled up, but I'd need a (two-part) BoM name for her. Same deal with my sixth, which is a toss-up between a male F/D and a female R/C.

@kuemper:
    Spellbound's good (especially for a bard) but it's only one name. And DHB, while initially seeming perfect, is more of a label than a name; for the same reason, AE won't work either. Not sure about TBR...keep 'em coming!

EDIT: I think I'll send a couple PMs and see what turns up.

IWD was between BG and BG2, IIRC. And as for the warriors with spells, rangers get spells at 8-16 and pallys get spells at 9-20; one more spell per level. BG1's only problem is that they didn't anticipate players getting that high level in the game, so they didn't bother coding it in.

[ January 09, 2006, 04:51: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

6. Klorox

Klorox Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-mĂȘnu! Veteran

Best of luck then, Fel.

BTW, if you decide to play a Dwarf Cleric, Klorox's last name is Hillcleaver! ;)

7. Lynadin Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

Fel, read the section in the walkhrough again, and reconsider, please :)
    It is worth it.

8. Felinoid

:almostmad: No, it's not. Period. I don't care what improvements are made to the engine (high-lighting is at the top of the list, of course), it's not worth it to debase myself with that 3e :bs: . And what part of "end of discussion" didn't you get?
    If you've a suggestion for my non-HoW game, I'd be glad to hear it, but otherwise I'm not listening.

9. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I'll just groan and shake my head for everyone else reading this who wants to do same. :shake:

10. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Wich they thankfully fixed with Tales of the SwordCoast.

And actually, its not really 3E either, since they get their first spells at level 4 in 3E, so its sort of inbetween them :-/

edit: thank you for pointing out that horiblle typo Kuemper!

[ January 11, 2006, 13:08: Message edited by: raptor ]

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

:yot: I don't know how much of a change it was from 3e to 3.5e, but in 3.5e, pallys and rangers get their spells at 4th level (providing they have a high enough wisdom).

I think I know the female bard pic you want (is she the one by the water holding a recorder/pennywhistle?). Is there a way to put in custom pics in IWD like for BG? There's alway Scythesong the Immortal for your bard and you can use his avatar, too. :) How hepped up are you for making your bard look bardic (holding an instrument)?

12. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

@Felinoid:

HoW doesn't change the game to 3E rules.

Some spell tables are changed for higher levels you won't reach anyway.
    Some new spells are added.
    Bard songs like in IWD2 are added, the bard is pretty boring without them.(He still can cast longer lasting haste and use unique items.)

The 3E thief sneak attack rules are OPTIONAL, if you don't activate them you still have old rules and no evasion, if you activate them even the last boss has evasion.

HoW doesn't make IWD easier, the opposite is true.

In most areas you cannot lure and slaughter your enemies one by one anymore while others stand 1 foot apart in the fog of war and do nothing.

The best weapons and items (they were random) are replaced by less powerful ones with HoW.

13. Felinoid

In the sense of a complete changeover, no. But more than half of what it introduces to the characters is taken from 3e (or at the very least, NOT 2e).
    :nuts: Did it somehow escape your notice that IWD2 is 3e? :rolleyes: There's only one bard song in 2e, barring kits, and none of them get better with levels unless you count the one-time HLA.
    What about critical strike? What about a paladin's Smite Evil and Divine Courage? What about the druid's new (and wrong) experience table? :p
    Again, that's not the point! I don't care if it makes the difficulty absolute perfection, it's :bs: .
    That's great, but it's not worth the sacrifice.

Now, obviously my attempts at politeness have failed, so I'm forced to tell you all to shut the hell up about HoW. I'm not getting it, no matter what you say. A 2e fan's moral outrage is more powerful than any arguments you might put forth, so give it a rest.

14. Gawain Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I think you need to quit being so circumspect. Tell us how you really feel!

15. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

@Felinoid:
    I didn't want to make you install HoW. I Never wrote such things.
    But after reading your posts it seemed to me you thought that HoW changed IWD from pure 2E rules to pure 3E rules and I wanted to correct this and other things.

There are of course reasons to play IWD as is, the game was designed and published that way without add-on and of course your reasons we all know now.

But IWD isn't pure 2E rules, don't tell me getting 2.5 bonus attacks/round for ***** is really pure 2E for example.

My opinion is: don't bother about the rules, just have fun playing as you like !

16. Felinoid

Nope; and I never go over two because you're not supposed to get more than two. :p But 2.5 attacks per round is what you get with a 13+ level warrior with specialization.

Oh, by the way, the fifth character is:

Rallymama Argeluna
    Half-elf female
    NG Ranger/Cleric
    dual-wielding skillets (i.e. maces and such ;) )

STR 18/00
    DEX 18
    CON 18
    INT 10
    WIS 18
    CHA 13

EDIT:
    Heard back from Spellbound, and the party is complete.

Spellbound Tinseltoe
    Half-elf female
    CN Bard
    wielding halberds ('cause they look funny) and crossbows

STR 16
    DEX 18
    CON 16
    INT 18
    WIS 10
    CHA 16

I'm also switching Faerus's alignment to TN to have the full good/neutral alignment spectrum.

[ January 10, 2006, 23:00: Message edited by: Felinoid ]

17. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Yay for Spellbound! :banana: Bards really score in this game (imo) and not just for lore and singing (though they help). :) I used my bard as the spokeswoman of the group to talk to most NPCs. There were a lot of quests I would not have done if I didn't have a bard the first time.

A little tip: have other PCs talk to NPCs in the towns. I felt that scripting was good.

18. crucis

crucis Fighting the undead in Selune's name Veteran

:rolleyes:

TOTL is what makes IWD1 worth playing over and over again.

19. Felinoid

Oh, for the love of...this is not an opinion post on the merits of HoW and TotLM. :rolleyes: How do you people not get this? Moreover, how many more times am I going to have to say it? :shame:

And for the record, IWD will be worth playing over and over again because it's 2e. If it were 3e, it wouldn't be worth playing even once. :p Can we say IWD2?

I think this thread has more than served its purpose. We're done now.

20. Cernak Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

Not quite,I hope, Felinoid.

Two very good sources for reasonably authentic names for your characters are "Morte d'Arthur" and "The Mabinogion". Your local library should have both.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.