1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD II - HoF mode

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Jondar, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Jondar Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Hi all, I'm just starting HoF mode and trying to clear out the palisade in Targos. At the start of the battle, most of the guard/townspeople were charmed and attacked the team. One of my summons killed one of the guard and after I cleaned out the goblins, the guard and townspeople kept attacking.
    I seem to remember a thread where someone spoke of that. Anyone seen this yet?

2. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've never had that problem when playing HoF...have to keep an eye out for that one!

3. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I guess you made the guards hostile before starting the battle.

4. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Could be. I'm still trying to figure out how that happened. When they went hostile on me, I thought they had been charmed somehow. After all, it is Heart of Fury.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

The enemies at the palisade don't cast charm spells, neither in normal nor in HoF mode.

6. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Are any of your casters in auto mode? Maybe one of the civs was caught on the edge of a spell

7. Jondar Gems: 3/31

That has to be what it is. I cast "grease" and "web" between the burnt out building and the wall, then "cloudkill" and ""minute meteors" on top of them. I thought I was far enough away from the guard to pull this off. But, apparently one of them must have wandered into the field and I didn't notice. I did win the battle but...
    After 3 or 4 more attempts, without the wide area spells, they all ended in failure.:cry:
    Oh well. Try and try again.

8. Silvery

Media:
    Is this an imported party? Do any of them have powerwords? I know it's cheese but, in those early battles where it's a bit TOO easy to accidently hit a civ, they can be really handy!

9. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Maybe you can try it with enemies-only spells like Symbol of Hopelessness and Wail of the Banshee. Also, summons should help a lot, since summons take less damage from enemies than your guys do and they have more HP too.

-Max

P.S. I don't think power words are cheese. Is there even such a thing as "weak, but cheesy"? Power Word: Blind and Power Word: Silence are the only ones that aren't pathetic, and both are kind of niche.

10. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Silvery - This team is the same one that I finished the game with in normal mode. Someone had mentioned previously that a team like that is overpowering. I don't think so as I've had to reload a few times from small groups breaking away from the main group I'm taking on and surprising me from behind (duh! yes, I should know better). :rolleyes:

Max - I just finished it. Saved the area effect spells for the final group. The first group was the toughest as I had very little prep time. Once I finished them, I summoned a greater boneguard and a zombie lord, had the whole team using ranged. They went quickly as Olep came over to lend a hand. The final group was also easy as I cast grease and cloudkill (after the last guard fell) to hold the goblins in place with the boneguard and zombie lord doing melee with them. I'm sure there will be opportunities for the spells you mentioned in the near future. :D

11. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Boneguard and Zombie Lord, defenders of justice!:p I wish they would of instituted summons that matched up to your alignment in IWD2. There are some good undead, as Baelnorn come to mind. Plus various types of Ghosts. But Zombie Lords? For the good guys, huh?

12. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Isn't a Baelnorn the Elven good equivalent of a Lich? Would that be, um, slightly unbalanced?

13. Blades of Vanatar

Blades of Vanatar Vanatar will rise again Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Kind of, but it's the point that counts. There are good undead. Summoning a Zombie lord in the middle of a town doesn't seem like anything any hero would do in any story that I have ever read. Hence casting a summon undead spell is kind of an evil act.

14. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31

Undead are neutral in IWD2. For instance, they take damage from Unholy Blight IME.

-Max

---------- Added 0 hours, 2 minutes and 58 seconds later... ----------

Korel the Necromancer wouldn't have a problem with it, unless there was someone more powerful than he who might take exception--and if that's the case why aren't they fighting off the goblins? :)

http://www.edkeyes.org/fiction/

-Max

15. Silvery

Media:
    I think that it's better having the undead as neutrals. When you read fantasy, 9/10 times the good guys win. Therefore, if you had allied good summons then you'd have to use some kind of equation to insert the narrative that good triumphs and it would unbalance the game.

Please bear in mind that I have a fever right now so this may just be the delirium talking!

16. Blades of Vanatar

The creators can list them as "Neutral" all they want. A FR Zombie Lord is not neutral, it is an evil creature. I know they did this just to help streamline the game, but I would of preferred something a little more inline with the actual story of the setting, it would help to add more flair to the game as well. Good Clerics/Wizards summoning Devas makes more sense than summoning any evil creature. They did implement this for the Druid, why not for the aligned Clerics and Arcane Casters as well?

Who is Korel the Necromancer? And if you're implying he isn't an evil Necromancer, well, for me, that about kills the RP aspect of the game.

---------- Added 0 hours, 1 minutes and 22 seconds later... ----------

Sil, read some of Glen Cooks novels to help balance that % out.

17. Jondar Gems: 3/31

The Zombie Lord was created by my Lawful Evil Sorceress. The Greater Boneguard was created by my Chaotic Good Cleric. I have a mixed team this run. This is also the farthest I've gotten in IWD II. There are higher level spells that my bard/sorceress and rogue/necromancer have in place, I just need to get used to them. ;)

18. spmdw45 Gems: 8/31

A necromancer hero (vaguely evil-ish) from the stories at that link. You said you'd never read any stories where the hero would do that; well I have and quite enjoyed them.

Not to mention Richard from Looking For Group, but of course that's parody. "Slaughter Your World": http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/vi...4cb0b486e2bbea5549ae4cb0b486e2b-1515834377761

-Max

19. peteraugusts Banned

I have a Cleric and a Necro in my party and until now I've been using my summons and powerful area effect spells to take down enemies, while my ex-tanks shoot from the distance. Getting past those areas in which when you enter and face enemies on the spot is going to be problematic, I'm still in the first stages and until now I've been entering party-invisible and positioning myself in a safe spot to buff and summon.

20. Jondar Gems: 3/31

Same here. I'll be entering the "Dam" area just before the Shaengarne bridge upon firing up the game. Buff, Buff, Buff...

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.