1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

IWD 2 - Hardest IE game?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale 2' started by Hethan the Skald, Sep 26, 2006.

1. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

I think IWD2 nerfs a lot of things compared to BG2, so it will be harder. no more grand mastery, no more backstab multiplier, instead you get a crappy 1d6 damage per 2 levels. No more timestop either.

In IWD2 I use summons a lot more than in BG2 because I really like the idea of summons becoming more powerful as you level up. I use crowd control spells like chaos sometimes, often I drop a fireball on my own party because they will survive but the blast will kill or seriously weaken a lot of enemies. I dont tend to use web etc as much as I used to, but I'm waiting for horrid wilting. someone told me horrid wilting isnt party friendly in IWD2, is this true?

2. halstein Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

[​IMG] Horrid wilting is not party-friendly in IWD2. At least some of my frontliners have found that out on a couple of occations.
    Halstein.

3. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

That makes Horrid wilting the most nerfed and crappest level 8 spell. It does 1d8 damage per level, which isnt that much more than the 1d6 done by delayed blast fireball. that means it does a little more damage than fireball, but still kills party members. Pretty much the only reason it had any appeal for me in BG2 was that it is a party friendly area of effect spell. Now its useless, unless I edit the spell (and if I do I'll release to the general public) I'll pick something else for my sorc to use.

Sometimes I favour single classing over multiclassing because IWD2 doesnt let you get to very high levels. So often the presence of one extra level will get you that extra spell level, that fireball when you in the goblin fortress (I played an aasimar paladin 1/ sorc x, he didnt have fireball by that time). For fighters I think mix in classes are nice, for instance I always have a few levels of fighter in my paladins and rogues for weapon focus.

4. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Fireball is capped at 10d6 (35). Wilting can go all the way up to 25d8 (112), though 16d8 (72) is typical in normal mode. Wilting is good against monsters with Evasion, but unfortunately also good against party members with Evasion...

One easy solution is combine Wilting with a couple of undead from the cleric.

Another is to make your tank(s) drow/deep gnomes for the MR; because of the odd way party xp works in IWD2, this will even make your spellcasters level up faster.

5. kmonster Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Veteran

I don't think the IWD versions of ADHW nerfed or crappy. They are still powerful.
    I'd rather say that the BG2 version is bugged since it doesn't affect party members as it is supposed to, making it overpowered.

6. Windrunner Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I don't think IWD2 is too tough, but it really helps if you understand the game mechanics. Min-maxing is not necessary but makes things so much easier. Still, you can get with just maxing your most important stat and having your auxilary stats at decent levels.

In terms of strategy, I think the most important thing is using all the relevant buffs you can. These include: Blur, Mirror Image, Bless, Emotion Hope, Protection from Evil, Haste, Recitation, Bull's Strength, Cat's Grace, Protection From Missiles, etc. etc. The list is actually quite long. You don't need to use all of them, and certainly not on every character, but examine all of them and use a fair number. This alone will make things tons easier.

The toughest things for me to learn were when (and how) to use area damage effects vs when (and how) to use disablers, when to specifically target one enemy, and when to send in or restrain my melee guys. Learning the damage types and resistances and what worked versus what is also key. Learning that enemy fighters and barbarians will make their Fortitude saves, so use Reflex and Will based spells, and that enemy thieves will make their Reflex saves, etc. etc.

The more you understand game mechanics, the easier it is. I only really started to understand this my 2nd time through, and am still learning things on my 4th time through!

7. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Whats the difference between ADHW and DBFB? They both do the same damage, one is quite useful for traps and does fire damage. And one doesnt allow saves for half damage (if I remember correctly).

That means for a level 8 spell, all you get is a DBFB that does magic damage and cant be used as a trap.

That was the only wonderful thing about it in BG2, that it was party friendly.

8. Windrunner Gems: 3/31

Yeah, I agree that Delayed Blast Fireball is actually better than Horrid Wilting in IWD2, as they deal the same damage, but Horrid Wilting caps at 25 dice, whereas DB Fireball is uncapped! However, Horrid Wilting still has one main advantage, its disregarding of spell resistance! My level 30 Fighter/Wizard shrugs off his own DB Fireballs quite easily with spell resistance, but Horrid Wilting will get him every time (if he doesn't have any Mirror Images up). Horrid Wilting will actually work on those spell-resistant monks in the 8 chambers, for example.

Also, Wilting does extra damage to water-based creatures (slimes, etc.), and it has a Fortitude save, not Reflex, which is good for assassins, monks, etc.

9. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Ya, I might get it because of that. But it should be a in level 7 slot, not 8. I'll probably use DBFB much more, and only use ADHW in emergencies.

10. JT Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hey, just because DBF is comparable to HW doesn't mean HW is worthless. Think of it as extra DBF slots. Actually, 7th level sorc slots might be more valuable than 8th, because of Mord's Sword.

11. Proteus_za

Proteus_za

Mord's sword is pretty good, but I prefer to have my sorc casting spells than swinging a sword, even if he doesnt have to be next to his target. Its nice with improved haste though.

12. Windrunner Gems: 3/31

Yeah, I love Mordy's Sword. You can get by much of HoF mode by just having Haste + Mordy's Sword, and running away and swinging ad infinitum.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.