1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It's so 'gay'

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by kuemper, Sep 27, 2005.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I've never cared for use of an individual identifier (or group identifier) as an insult or swear word. Gay is just the latest homophobic swear word -- I had hoped that would not happen (there are enough negative words associated with homosexuality).

The origin of gay may come from the 1890's (also termed the gay nineties) which was a period of sexual promiscuity. A brothel was referred to as a 'gay house.' Hence, gay meant promiscuous -- homosexuals have always been stereotyped as promiscuous. Another possible origin (from wordorigins.org):

The term is used in 'Bringing Up Baby' (1938) by Cary Grant when explaining why he's dressed in a woman's bathrobe.

Some other terms are far more sinister. The term fag or faggot is used in the UK to mean a cigarette. Derived from a burning/smoking stick, which is also called a fag. The use of the term with homosexuals recalls the old practice of burning homosexuals at the stake. Quite gruesome.

2. St. James Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Considering that "gay" had a meaning -- and was used as a derogative -- long before homosexual activists laid claim to it, I see very little to be upset about.

It is the same with people who object to the use of the term "niggardly," which etymologically has absolutely nothing to do with the word "nigger."

Further, saying "that is so gay" is far from a recent invention. It has been around for decades.

True, some of the people you cite are no doubt using it to refer to sexuality. But if you take the long view of language it may not get under your skin so much.

3. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

Actually, the most common meaning for 'gay' in English used to be 'merry' or 'carefree'. It originally comes from the old French 'gai' (meaning cheerful).

There is a traditional Scottish ceilidh dance titled 'The Gay Gordons', that some young people I know refuse to dance because of what they think it means... :rolleyes:

4. olimikrig

olimikrig Cavalier of War Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I knew that :p ! Everyone must have heard the South Park song: 'Get in gay (with the children here)', no (rainforest episode) :shake: ?

Well, my opinion is that yes, it is somewhat stupid. But I think Rutowski pretty well described the person from whom you might expect to hear this comment.

5. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    IMO, things like that are just a means of expression. Typically the one saying it doesn't even realize the true meaning of the words. It's meant to be midway between milquetoast and profanity.

And really is there much difference between saying "That's gay!" and "That sucks!"? Sucks what I wonder... ;)

6. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I can definately say that I am among the people who say that something is gay, meaning that I dislike it. I don't mean any offense to homosexuals, but it's just the way the word is evolving. Gay used to mean happy, but over time it changed to target specific people. Maybe the word is just changing again.

7. St. James Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Oh, and does not saying "That is so Canadian!" mean exactly the same thing as "That is so homosexual?"

:)

Ok, sorry. I could not resist.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

St. James, That's just the Liberal party. I'll leave it there before this thread gets moved to AoLS...

9. Ofelix

Ofelix The world changes, we do not, what irony!

Media:
    Old? No my friend, it's still a correct word today. Unfortunately in french also ''gai'' has become a prejorative word associated with homosexuality. What's more some people (especialy younger one) use the english spelling ''gay'' over the correct french one, and they see it as a mistake. I mean WTF?! They're using out of context AND mispelled? Can they be more stupid. Anyway I'm getting ahead of myself.

I think BTA has a point, I wonder too what people ''sucks'' when they say '' It sucks '' ... Lolipops? Fruit? :hmm:

PS:
    :aaa: Now That's canadian! :lol:

10. Enagonios Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I'm with reepnorp. I know it's not politically correct or even polite, but I don't meant to offend any particular group, in this case, homosexuals, by it. it's just an expression that many people happen to use here..

11. Wordplay Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

There is no harm in saying "this is SO gay." It's just an expression, if a bit gay one. :p

(So yes; ditto to what BTA said.)

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    The old, proper meaning of gay is another reason why I don't like the expression. You don't say "that's so cheerful" when something surprises you in the bad way, is weird or whatever such. Perhaps, if the expression has been around for decades, it used to mean something close to "that's rich!" I don't know. I'm no good with regional dialects. :p "Gay" is not the only one. I remember young lads calling things "Chinese", meaning weird or nonsense. Didn't like that one, either.

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think anything putting down a race, religion, ethnicity is wrong. In this case, I would also think that it is in appropriate to slam the gay community in such a manner.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.