1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It's official: California Governor Schwarzenegger

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Blackhawk, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Lokken Gems: 26/31
    Latest gem: Diamond

Veteran

the american is going from nothing to something great. Hard work is the guarantee but not requirement.

I see Arnold as a living example of the American Dream as well.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Umm, my definition of a loophole must be different than yours. In my dictionary (Worldnet here), Loophole is defined as "an ambiguity (especially one in the text of a law or contract) that makes it possible to evade a difficulty or obligation."

Here, the text of the recall section is not ambiguous and it provides for exactly what happened. I know that you don't like the constitution here, but it's not a loophole. It's not ambiguous and it was followed to the letter.

We can obviously debate how well drafted the provision is and whether it should be there. It's not, however, a loophole.

3. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

@inquisitor
    If it is so obvious that he is a sexually dangerous man with no abilities to lead a state other than beeing a celebrity, then how many people did you convince to not vote for him?

Anyway
    If the worst the opposition can come up with, in the usual mudthrowing, is that Arnold talked dirty to 16 women and touched them (which might both be part of a flirt and they may have done so willingly), then Arnold is a saint. Is it you or I who is naive? I am not even denying he didn't do it, just that the women could easily be just as "guilty". Heck, I am not even making any conclusive statements, just trying to give some other versions...

If Arnold hadn't admitted to this, there would be a trive out of it too, and it would have taken much more of his time, and you would have been all over him too, for clouding his past and not spending time to aid California.

[ November 19, 2003, 21:30: Message edited by: Nobleman ]

4. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Heh, I didn't get around to replying in this topic again until now, but others pretty much explained my vision of the American Dream to InquisitorX, so I won't reiterate on that point.

InquisitorX seems to be stuck in a loop, chanting the mantra that Arnold was only elected because he's an actor, and that he didn't work hard in his life. Both points have no valid basis whatsoever apart from his own personal opinion, so they're really pointless in trying to prove his right over anyone else's. I stopped wasting my time arguing with Stone Deaf cases a long time ago, so I'll only observe this one to see that none of the AoDA rules are broken in the discussion.

5. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Schwarzenegger would not have done as well as he did, if Bustemante (the leading Democratic candidate) hadn't shot himself in the foot by strongly and self-rightously supporting SB 60.

SB 60 was a law passed that gave driver licenses to illegal immigrants! Much of Schwarzeneggar's success was due to the #1. Shake up Sacramento supporters and #2. those disgusted with SB 60 - which is nearly 90 percent of Californians.

6. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    This guys crazy! Not taking a salary?!?! That takes real guts.

7. InquisitorX Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I never said that. I said he didn't work hard to become governor. He *did* work hard to become a world-class bodybuilder. I'm glad we got that straightened out.

And its not my "personal opinion" he got elected because he is an actor. That is an indisputable fact.

If you or I had the EXACT same platform as Arnold how many votes would we have gotten? Yep.

8. Blackhawk Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] I have to agree, in part, with InquisitorX. The fact that Schwarzenegger was an actor and in the public eye, did help considerably for his victory.

I watched the polls in the months preceeding the election and Schwarzenegger was actually losing to Cruz Bustemante. Only after Bustemante's dreadful performance in the Sacramento Debate, did Schwarzenegger pull head.

All in all, both Tal and InquisitorX are right. Many factors did help. If Schwarzenegger wasn't a famous actor, he would performed rather poorly. If there was a opponant that the voters could have supported, he would have had better competition. And lastly, if California's didn't want a overhaul of Sac, he would have done poorly.

However you look at it, we're doomed! :mommy: :)

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.