1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It's coming

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition' started by omnigodly, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Dr_Asik Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

@Paracelsi: I'm on the beta test team for BG:EE. We don't have any direct control over what gets put in the game or not. We find issues and some of our more talented or experienced elements (like modders) may propose fixes. It's then entirely up to the developers to approve that what we report as a bug is in fact a bug, and if we proposed a fix, to put that fix in or develop their own instead.

Yes in some cases changes came in batch from mods, such as 1pp or the G3 fixpack. Ultimately though the integration of these fixes were always decided and applied by the developers. It is possible that not every one of these fixes has received all the attention it could have. Unfortunately the dev's time is a rare and precious resource and it has been spent on making sure everything works and is reasonably polished and stable for release. Many little details may and will certainly slip by, and sometimes when we fix something we inadvertedly introduce other problems. Such is the nature of game development (and so it was in 1998 when Bioware made BG1).

The game is still heavily under development and as it is released both the developers and volunteers will be carefully listening to player feedback. If you are unhappy with any changes made I encourage you to post on the official forums (forum.baldursgate.com).

---------- Added 0 hours, 54 minutes and 47 seconds later... ----------

Overhaul wants to do a boxed version, but the discussions with the publisher have stalled. It's not likely to happen in the near future.

The game will require a one-time activation over the internet on every machine you install it on. After that you can play it offline as long as you wish. The Beamdog client is optional as the game is available both as a direct download and through the Beamdog client. As far as DRM goes that's about as unintrusive as it gets.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  2. Paracelsi

Paracelsi Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I understand that, which is why although "discontent" doesn't begin to describe my opinion of these changes I blame neither the modders nor the developers - I can understand that this happened simply because a better solution could not be found in time.

I am active in the BGEE forums, although as release date/post-release approaches it's probably going to get swamped with all kinds of gameplay posts. I do know and accept that up until the game is released everything I've said so far is based on theory - for all I know some player might even come up with a way around this in-game. Which is why I haven't bothered to bump the thread I've created just yet.

3. Tarrasque

Tarrasque Whoever said Paladins had to be charismatic? ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Great. Looks like the release date isn't the '28th', but is in fact '8pm 28th'.

Why companies can't just set a release date for download only software, and releasing as soon as it becomes that date rather than the current situation where people who don't happen to live in America get penalised because of it.

Had it been released physically, there wouldn't have been an embargo on sales for the whole of today, so why they feel the need to do so for an electronic release is beyond me :mad:

4. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

I guess I'll purchase it in the end, though I don't like that I have to install a new client to play it. Plus, I've looked at the trailer and it basically seems like BGT to me, with 'some' new content put in. Actually not worthy of 20$. But hey... Can you believe I've only played this game once? (first time was actually last year) :D

5. hannibal555 Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

Media:
    You don't have to use the Beamdog client.
    You can as well rather install the standalone BG-EE client. It has a simple onetime online check for verification and each time you want to add updates and patches.

6. omnigodly Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Veteran

It's available immediately on the 28th... not at 8pm. If you didn't pre-load 6 days ago or over the last week, then you might be screwed today for the download. But that was discussed earlier in this thread already.

I should have been playing for the last hour already, but I have some apps to fill out first :(

7. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I have to say, I'm pretty goddamn pissed at Beamdog right now. I hadn't given much thought to BGEE in a couple months, aka when I pre-ordered it, so imagine my surprise when I go to the website to make sure it hasn't been delayed again only to see "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition for PC released!" in the middle of the screen. Thanks for the notification that the game I paid you money for months ago is available for me to play you asshats. Just did a search of my inbox (and for the record, I never delete emails) and the most recent thing to contain the word Beamdog is the email from September 14 where they announced the delay saying it would be released on November 30.

On a much lighter note, I know what I'll be doing when I get home from work tomorrow! :D

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They did send out mails about it though, I think I got two over the last couple of weeks. None on the release day though, oddly enough.

9. reepnorp

reepnorp Lim'n Lime Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Then that is even weirder. I just checked my email again doing a search for 'baldur' and again, the most recent email it found was the one from September. If they were sending emails, I wonder why I didn't get any...

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    They sent out a "release" one today too... I assume either you've unsubscribed from their mailing or something's blocking your getting them. Or maybe a problem on their end?

11. reepnorp

Media:
    Think I'll reach out to them and ask why. I do see that I unsubscribed from their newsletter in August. Even still, that wouldn't explain why I got the delay notification email in September but not anything else game-related.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.