1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It takes two

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Stu, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Hi all, I was wanting to take a duo through BG2 on my next run and was looking for a bit of advice.
    I was thinking of taking a F/M/T and a sorcerer, but I am open to sugestions.
    I am playing a sorcerer through the opening parts of BG 1 using tutu and he is shaping up to be a pretty run of the mill sorcerer (in terms of spell pics). Anyway, I was planning to use the sorcerer as my primary magic user (summons, damaging spells etc) and using the F/M/T as a more of a tank with magical buffs (stoneskin, mirror immage and some of the damage spell that require physical contact (shocking grasp etc).

I've played a sorcerer through BG2 before, so I've got a pretty good idea what i want in terms of spell picks, but I am at a bit of a dead end with the F/M/T. What spells should i focus on apart from stoneskin and mirror image. Are the fireshields worth it (since they only do dammage if you get hit), does mislead allow multipe backstabs as it does with bards, what should i choose for lvl 1. Should I bother about using armour, or go for the extra casting ability.

Also are there any combinations that people would consider to be better, more fun, more streamlined.

2. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

F/D and M/T might work fairly well. The F/D can be the main tank with Ironskins and other buffs, while the M/T can do some major damage with stealth area spells (cast while out of sight range, then stealth for no reaction whatsoever from your enemies).

But if you want to go with an F/M/T, don't bother with the contact spells; Shocking Grasp and the like aren't worth it damage-wise when you can do a close-range MM to instantly disrupt even the fastest spell that your opponent might be casting. Fireshields aren't much worth it either unless you expect him to be dying frequently from getting hit too much. They're great on disposable monsters, but not an NPC who you expect to survive.

With respect to armor, have your F/M/T carry a spare set early on for if he runs out of spells. And of course, use any and all armors you come across that allow spellcasting (elven chain, robes, etc.); anything that allows spellcasting will also allow thieving skills.

Level 1: MM, then MM, then MM. (Can you tell how much I love this spell? :shake: ) Seriously, it's the best 1st level you'll find, and anything else can be cast from scrolls.

Level 2: Invisibility & Mirror Image. Mirror Image only goes so far when you've got enemies who can smack you with True Seeing, but a well-timed Invis. just after a TS sweep can get you behind the enemy and backstab before the next sweep. Who needs Assassination when a 2nd level spell will do? ;)

Level 3: Fireball. Cast and stealth: free damage. :evil:

Level 4: Stoneskin, Stoneskin, and more Stoneskin. Nothing else even comes close in usefulness to a tanking F/M/T.

Level 5: Sunfire. A 15 HD fireball centered the caster that doesn't hurt him! Stealth into a big group of enemies, backstab the most dangerous one, and immediately start casting this beauty. BY the time your Sorcerer gets into range from his tactical distance, you'll only have one or two big guys to work on.

Level 6: Mislead. This should be used as an Improved Improved Invisibility, since you don't become even slightly visible when attacking if your Mislead image is still alive. Unfortunately, a Mislead image can't do anything, so just stick him out of the way (behind a door or something) and backstab to your heart's content (multiple times, if that was what you were asking).

Level 7: Project Image. Load up and dish it out. Can also be used with Chain Continegency for multiple PIs if you don't mind EXTREME cheese.

Level 8: Simulacrum. Hear me out. Have both your F/M/T and your Simulacrum stealth and put them on opposite sides of a big enemy. Then you backstab with the Sim, and when the enemy turns to confront it, you backstab from the other side. If he's not already chunked, he'll be fighting the Sim while you safely hack away at his back. (The ADHWs can be handled by your Sorcerer.)

Level 9: Don't make me pick. ;)

3. Stu Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

Cool thanks Fel, also i was wondering who should use the typical mage items. I was thinking that the cast and attack method would go miles with the FMT, so perhaps he should be wearing the Robe of Vecna (this should bring the casting time of MM to zero and no impact at all on the number of attacks in the round that i cast it). Also the staff of the magi - do you think it should go to the sorcerer or the FMT. One one side the spell turning would be good on the FMT, but then again he has access to better weapons (damage wise) but the sorcerer doesn't. Would the ring of acuity be better with the sorcerer or the fmt?
    Other than that what weapons should they use?

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

No, the Robe of Vecna goes to the sorc permanently for the high level spells that you want to get off quick (ADHW can be a b**** if you don't have somthing to speed you up), but the F/M/T should get the Amulet of Power for NPP and instant MMs. Staff of the Magi goes to the sorc for Invis. if he gets in trouble, and the AC bonus while casting (so long as it's equipped) can't be beat; also, you can't backstab with the SotM (nearly the only quarterstaff that can't), so it'd be next to worthless for the F/M/T. The Rings of Acuity and Wizardy go to the sorc so that he can sling spells 'til Tuesday, because unlike the F/M/T, he's got no melee to fall back on.

F/M/T weapons: Dual-wielding. Early on you'll want the Celestial Fury and Belm/Kundane for many hits on a stunned opponent, but later on you'll want to put Crom Faeyr in the off hand (permanently) and there're lots of good main hand weapons to choose from in ToB. I went with the Axe of the Unyielding +5 (vorpal :evil: ) and Dagger of the Star +5 (chance for invis. on hit = more backstabs :evil: ) for mine.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.