1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It is about time!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by joacqin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Yes.

Sevann is Vale's lieutenant.

Problem is that those two guys can still die after the invincible flag is reset, by I.E. poison, Melf acid arrows and other long lasting damaging effects.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Where is the dragon? The keep walkthrough told me I could go and kill a dragon to get lots of money to rebuild the place. Only information I could find was to go to the dwarven scouts which I did but there was no dragon. I went into the bugbear cave and found the gloves for Khelgar. Is the dragon sidequest or is it main quest? The impression I have is sidequest but when do you get it? I am on my way to the haven now. No offence to Beren's walkthrough but it seems to mostly cover the main story line and stuff outside that gets a bit confusing.

3. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Found the dragon, killed him got hte loot. Which mostly sucked and how much money was in the hoard? Less than 200k? One poor dragon. I am getting a bit disapointed with the spell system. In my experience hte best spells are those magic missile variants. No save, lots of damage. Against the dragon for instance any save spell is worthless as they ave such high saves and in general most of the high level save based spells are worthless on any tougher opponent. Why spend a round casting a spell that has a 20% chance of actually doing anything when you can spend the ronud casting a lvl4 missile storm that will do around 40dmg no matter what? That said having two arcane spellcasters in a party is really useful, especially if you play on normal as I do since I cant be bothered with core rules this run through. Empowered fireballs have been a staple in my game especially considering hte melee AI is completely worthless and Khelgar spends more time trying to reach enemies or run back and forth between them than to actually fight. Not too impressed by summons either. Don't understand what was wrong with the control system in the IE games.

The choice of 9th level spells is also a bit disapointing. Meteor swarm is ok but the rest havent impressed me much. Weird and Wail of teh banshee is probably fun if you face 20 low level goblins but then again a fireball or two would have the same effect. Those spells are worthless against any kind of challenging foe.

Talking about the keep I spent quite a lot of time trying to track downt hat Guyven scout guy, went twice to old owl well and once to Duskwood to try and find him but he was nowhere to be found and that mercenary that is part of the Luskan ambush ran away to never be seen again after a succesful intimidation check.

My next goal is to go to Highcliff to get the lizardmen to help, at least I think thats what I am supposed to do in Highcliff. I also wonder when the romance with the druid will progress. I have sadly not gained very much influence with her as I havent choosen the sappiest replies all the time so I guess I am screwed?

5. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

melee is not actually bad, if you give khelgar some good stuff, he can hit really hard, like 70 damage to the dragon each hit

in all actuality, the whole red dragon battle thingy is incredibly weird, because she is immune to electric spells, whereas fire does normal damage (try firebrand or fire enchanted weapons), but on the other hand the firebreath is fire based attack

so it's more like a hybrid between fire and storm dragons

wail of the banshee is actually insanely powerful, but you can't really make much use of it in this game, but you'll use it much in MOTB

personally in level 9 i mostly use wail, bigby fist or mordenkains, meteor shower sucks because it has huge aoe (more likely to hit your stupid companions) and the damage is poor

really, you wait so long to get those level 9, only to get a water pistol instead of a tactical nuke

i believe he appears in ember as well, but it doesn't really matter if you get him or not, it's just for flavor (you can tell stories to each other, and you will receive a few extra useless background traits, and a crappy item)

actually, it's not that simple, at certain moment of the game, not to far away, the ultimate fate of elanee will be decided

if you haven't treated her too well, something really bad will happen to her

6. Ironhawk Skylord

The clerics ninth level spells Implosion and Storm of Vengeance is actually not bad.

Nor is the druids ninth level Elemental Swarm summoning spell. That spell last a good time and the summons does decent damage.

As Master Leo says Wail of Banshee really is devastating. I used it often in tight spots, and you will learn to appreciate that spell in MotB.

And all of the Bigby's spells is really overpowered. Mostly enemies doesn't stand a chance against them.

Guyven doesn't show up at Duskwood nor Old Owl Well.

You can find him in Act I in Bonegnasher Clan's outside area and outside the Githyanki Base.

In Act II you can find him at Ember.

AFAIK you need to find him all 3 times and invite him to your fire the last time for him to show up at Crossroads Keep.

7. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

actually i was thinking arcane spells, but anyway, implosion is nice, but summoning spells aren't so much, because many enemies can dispel using banishment (i think that's the name)

storm of vengeance is just a kind of spell i always forget to use in a battle, but it can be easily dispelled too, i've used it in a couple battles, and it just magically vanished after a round or two

8. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    I don't know what are your opinions of Shapechange, but I've grown quite attached to that spell, especially when my spellcasters are in real trouble.

I agree on Wail of Banshee. It's quite useful.

As for cleric spells - Mass Heal, Storm of Vengeance and Undeath's Eternal Foe. The third I like having memorized, just in case. I like the name:).

Druid level 8 spell Storm Avatar is also awesome (imo). I spent most of MoTB under its influence.

9. Ironhawk Skylord

I agree.

Shapechange is good. Very handy in a tough spot, and IIRC you can actually win the Ice Troll Berserker lodge trials by shapechanging into a nightwalker.

Mass Heal, Undeath's Eternal Foe and Storm Avatar is must haves if you play cleric or druid, IMHO.

10. Loreseeker

Media:
    I didn't know that... Interesting. Thanks, Ironhawk. :)

(Off topic, sort of: I played a Spirit Shaman and was quite disappointed when I couldn't complete the trials. I loved the badger... :D)

As for Guyven, I had a bug with him in my second NWN2 run. I met him all three times and invited him to Candlekeep, but he never showed up.
    Just thought I should mention it, if joacqin still hasn't found him (and had met him on all three locations).

11. Ironhawk Skylord

You are welcome. :)

I haven't tried it myself, but I've seen other posted that it can be done.

The Guyven bug is a well-known bug where some people you recruit to the Keep doesn't show up.

You can get him to show up via the Debug Console:

DebugMode 1
    rs ga_global_int("01_Join_Guyven","1")
    DebugMode 0

It can be done with other recruits as well. I.E. Orlen, Jacoby etc.

12. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

the problem i see with shapechange in general is, that it has really never been properly implemented into roleplay
    for example, you should be able to walk on fire as a fire elemental, destroy huge rocks as an iron golem, fly as a dragon, be able to reach difficult places by becoming a mouse, basically this is an endless supply of interesting puzzles

instead most games nowadays focus on combat abilities of these creatures, and do so relatively poorly

13. Ironhawk Skylord

Well, true.

From a roleplaying aspect, the shapechanging amulet in HotU was more in order.

By the way, Master Leo, did you see that Rpgplayer was thanked for his spellfixes on the Credit screen in MotB?

14. joacqin

Media:
    Gave up Guyven, he just didnt show up at all anywhere. Before I logged out this morning I had just scored with Elanee and was about to defend my keep. How come all the arcane mages in Neverwinter dont just memorize as many undeath to death spells they can and annihilate the Shadow King's army puzzles me a bit. My little mage together with Sand could probably kill several thousands of low level undeads from the battlements without breaking a sweat.

15. Loreseeker

Media:
    joacqin: In case you haven't defended the keep already, you might want to memorize something fire related...
    It makes life a bit easier, or at least speeds things up. Just a suggestion. ;)

16. joacqin

Media:
    Fireballs worked wonders. I am still quite disapointed in the higher level spells. The Bigby ones are ok but otherwise the high level spells appear to be very lacklustre. I am now starting to be worried about my disinterest in the companions I chose not to use will come back and punish me. I have basically gone with Khelgar, Elanee and Sand with Ammen Jerro/Zhaeve(sp) to fill up the last spot after Shandra depending on who is needed. Those are the onyl characters I have given any gear the rest are basically in the stuff you find them in. Have I crippled myself?

I also find it a bit amusing that all characters seems to have a relationship both with the PC and the other NPC's when I have basically never used them. System like that can work in KotOR where you dont have all that many NPC's and where different assignments makes the different NPCs useful depending on the situation. Fun to hear Sand comment on Grobnar without them having actually met except for brief stops in the inn.

17. Loreseeker

Media:
    Crippled yourself in which way? I'm not sure I understand.

If you are reffering to the general game play, I rotated all but Qara and had a blast. Casavir, Khelgar, Sand - my standard party.

If you are reffering to the final stages of the game...

You might want to improve your companions gear. At least the gear of those you trust.

a slight spoiler follows... I hope that you treated Neeshka well.

18. joacqin

Media:
    I treated her quite well until I replaced her in the end of act 1. Since then I havent used her. Sand, Jerro and Zhaejve are hte ones I use that I am not sure about. Sand since there havent really been any oppurtunity for me to influence him since the trial, Jerro as he is evil and have only had the chance to gain a few influence points with him and Zhaejve pretty much same as Sand. Have not happened much to either lose or gain influence. Casamir, Grobnar and Qara I have only used when I have been forced to. My point about crippling myself was about not even levelling them up and not giving them any gear and I wonder if I wll have to use all of them in some way with their +1 items.

The reason why I dont rotate is that even without rotating it doesnt feel like I get to experience the characters and I plan to have a second run where I will use a completely different party.

19. Loreseeker

Media:
    Don't worry about the leveling, all characters get experience points, regardless whether or not they are in your party. :)

When you need them, (either when you put them in the party or at the game's end) they'll all be there and then you can level them anyway you wish.

I'd get them better gear, if you have the time.

As for influence outcome: Jerro might be evil, but there are things he hates more than you, so you're ok with him, Casavir is loyal to the bone, you should be ok with Sand too, and as for Neeshka... I usually take her to Haven, just to be sure my influence is ok, (she has some nice banter there) but if you were really nice in Act 1 you might pull it off. I think you're okay with Z. too, she isn't too demanding.

20. joacqin

Media:
    Yeah I know about how they get but Qara for instance still hasnt rested once in the game so the only spells she is able to cast is the ones she got the last time I used her when I brought her to the Luskan ambush she could cast a fireball at best. I do not have any gear to give them, sold it all. Some odd pieces here and there but nothing big. Havent really bothered much about gear, doesnt matter much in games such as this. Get your melee guy the best gear possible the casters can pretty much go naked. Next time I play it will be with a melee char where I will really crunch numbers, playing a caster isnt as complicated characterbuilding wise.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.