1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It is about time!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by joacqin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Loreseeker

Loreseeker A believer in knowledge Veteran

Media:
    Doesn't he have some odd red glow around him when he's in frenzy?
    Maybe I'm remembering it wrong.

Maybe you could use the examine command too, and I even think that there will be a message in the window where all the battle actions and rolls appear.
    Not sure about that last one.

I used Khelgar in that fight since my archer wasn't doing enough damage.

2. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

i always make this fight with qara and it's not so difficult, even on core difficulty where he makes helluvalot of damage with criticals

right at the beginning of battle, cast great stoneskin and haste after that, then run around the arena sticking to walls and corners

since he moves so slow, you can easily outrun him and blast him to near death, then it's just a matter of recasting haste and waiting that damn long minute, until the berserker rage wears out, which is indicated by a symbol above his head,showing the effect has been removed - when that happens, immediately cast a spell on him and he's dead

more interestingly, a dev once said on official forum this is actually a bug of sort, since frenzied berserkers weren't actually supposed to be immune to death, just death effects, but they left it in for their amusement (and frustration of players) :p

3. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

Yes as the others said Haste or a Potion of Speed do wonders.

Alternatively, he is not immune to Grease and Web. You could start catching him these two spells, hurt him till he go frenzy, and wait for the frenzy to wear off. A Slow spell wouldn't hurt either.

Others have reported that a Flesh to Stone spell doesn't turn him to stone when he fails his save but he is stunned.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2008
  4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Anything I cast or drink cost an action which allow Lorne to wail on me and he cant wail on me for long before I die. Think I am going to memorize a quickened retreat or two and see if I can enough distance between us to both cast and run away. As for the frenzy, it lasts forever guess I will have lead a merry chase for a minute or so.

5. kgambit Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Try using a grease or web spell on him at the start. It can be surpisingly effective. That should buy you some additional time in the beginning to get some additional spells off. :D

6. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Ok Lorne is dead and now I am trying my hand on a bit of crafting. I understand there is a very limited supply of the very best gems but the essences? I have distilled every piece of monster I have run across and I have plenty of big shiny essences but absolutely no weak earth or weak fire ones. This is rather frustrating as it is what I need to put some elemental damage on the hammer I made for Khelgar while I wait for that ultra hammer you guys have been talking about. Will I run across any shortly or is there any merchant that sells? I have checked all in Neverwinter. I have the bigger fire and earth essences but none of the smallest while I do have some air and water but the gems needed for those enchants seems to be among the most rare.

7. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    You can distill the bigger essences into smaller ones.

8. joacqin

Media:
    Aha! Why didnt anyone tell me that earlier? ;) Time to put some more punch into "Khelgar's Fist" but jeez, warhammers are tiny. Looks like one of those tiny little hammers jewellers use. :(

9. Ironhawk Skylord

I did tell you earlier.

If you followed the link to crafting I posted and read up upon it, that is. :D

Are you sure you didn't choose a light hammer? Those are tiny, warhammers isn't.

10. joacqin

Media:
    I am sure, checked and triple checked as I thought the same. It is a warhammer and it is puny.

Anyone but me noticed how horrendous the pathing is in the game? Trying to walk anywhere takes more micro management than the original Dune 2 and even in that game you could be reasonably sure that all units you selected actually moved in NWN2 you should count yourself lucky if half your party decided to actually go where you asked them and not get stuck in a wall or just plain stand still. Also if I have my entire party selected and asks them all to attack something only the closest one does, the rest cant be arsed trying to find a way to the target and just stands around doing nothing. Maybe I should start using some AI.

There are so many gamebreaking flaws in NWN2 even with all the patches and an expansion it feels like rough unfinished product. It has its upsides which makes it worthwhile to play but jeez it isnt exactly a pinnacle of game craftmanship.

11. Ironhawk Skylord

Well pathing was not exactly good in BG1 or IWD1 either. But you are correct.

Anyway one thing you should be aware of, is that a lot of the cutscenes will put your companions in Puppet Mode. And then they are just standing and looking stupid unless you explicitly gives them commands like Follow Me etc.

Go into each companions Character sheet, on the Behaviour tab and set Puppet Mode to Off again.

12. joacqin

Media:
    I have manually put everyone on pupped mode as I really do not like party members chugging pots or casting spells when killing a rat or somesuch. What I am thinking about is to actually go in and give the melee guys somekind of AI as by the time I actually manage to get them to attack something the fights tend to be half way over and all too often one or two of them just stand there in the back doing nothing even after I have given them orders.

As for the patching I believe it was a lot better in the old infinity games which is just plain sad. There the problem was rather that NPCs took a bit too creative ways to get past obstacles but at least they tried in NWN2 they just stop and cancel any orders given as soon as there is anything at all in the way.

13. Ironhawk Skylord

Well a part of the problem that your companions is cancelling commands is that you have them on Puppet Mode.

Why don't you just set Spell Casting to Off instead, for the casters?

14. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

you must have ai set to off for pure spellcasters, otherwise they'll go melee, which is what you really don't want

character like khelgar and elanee can have ai set to on, since they do just fine in close quarters, and you can always override commands set by the ai (although i have to admit the ai is pretty dumb, likes to run your characters into traps and ambushes, but it does make the game go smoother)

15. joacqin

Media:
    This is getting ridicolous. I cleaned out Crossroad Keep, disrupted the ritual and Black Garius is dead. Now I cant get out of the keep. I tell the NPC with me that it is time to go and nothing happens. I do it again and again and still nothing happens. I have tried to leave the place manually but I am not allowed to go out of the castle. What is up? Two of the three named NPC's died due to being wusses but there is one NWN mage and a named one left and it is the named one that seems to refuse to allow me to leave.

Jeez, NWN2 would have been a decent enough game without this multitude of bugs, the immense loading times and the general instability. :(

16. Loreseeker

Media:
    Is Vale the guy who survived (he's the one in charge of the mages)?
    Did you take the shard from Garius?

There is a cutscene right about where you are in the game, but I think that it happens when you leave the keep.

You could be having another transition bug. Try PC selected, AI off, (if you haven't already) and if all else fails, save the game and do the world map console thing.

If you have a nearby save (like before the ritual) try falling back to it.

17. joacqin

Media:
    Vale is the guy still alive, I have the shard I have done it with my PC selected. Can I turn AI off in any way except going to behaviour and toggle puppet mode? I have an auto save from the map transition where I went to the Keep's back exit. Not too far back, kinda annoying that I overwrote my quick save just after the battle. I did get one cutscene with Garius dying but after that nothing happens.

As for doing the world map console thingy I wouldnt even know where to go, seeing as I cant exit the keep manually I am pretty sure the only way forward is through speaking with Vale.

18. Loreseeker

Media:
    There's another cutscene, but it's a rather big spoiler.
    I think it happens right after you leave the Keep.

I'd go for your previous save, that feels like the least likely way to mess something up.

As for the world map thing, I don't think it matters where you go, type anything, like the Highcliff example from one of my posts before. Once you cheat your way out of the Keep, you might be able to pick up the plot line in Neverwinter. This is just a theory however.
    Your best bet is probably the previous save.

By the way, I had a few bugs with NWN2 myself, but you seem to have picked up every one in existence, joacqin. Tough luck.

19. Ironhawk Skylord

I searched on your problem on the official forums.

There is 3 named members of the Many-Starred Cloaks in the batlle.

Vale, Sevann and Nethe.

Both Vale and Sevann needs to survive for you to leave the Keep, Nethe has no consequences.

The problem is that Vale and Sevann is scripted unkillable during the battle, but can still die just after it due to wounding effects after the unkillable flag is removed.

Your best shot is to reload and do the battle again.

You could use Raise Dead or Resurrection on Vale and Sevann if you have access to that.

An alternative option is to use Debug Console to copy Vale and Sevann back in by typing:

DebugMode 1
    rs ga_roster_add ("vale", "23_vale")
    rs ga_roster_spawn ("vale", "2330_wp_msc")
    rs ga_roster_remove ("vale")
    DebugMode 0
    `
    Replace "23_vale" with "23_sevann" and "vale" with "sevann".

This should put them near the exit from the basement according to posters on the official forums.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2008
  20. joacqin

Media:
    It was that Sevann died, I was wondering what that dying sound was that I heard while looting. Guess it was Sevann ... If Sevann isnt there the other guy has no one to talk to and nothing happens.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.