1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It is about time!

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights 2' started by joacqin, Apr 3, 2008.

1. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I went down to the store and finally purchased NWN2 with MotB for a whopping 25€ in total. I have started a wizard character as I really want to explore the spellcasting side since I only played melee powerhouses in NWN and none of its expansions.

I have just rescued the commander from the graveyard and I must say, going through this game without resting in hostile zones is dangerous. My wizard is a mad powerhouse, while he has spells so I am finding myself forced to rest a lot more than I feel comfortable with. I have already started lacking a cleric of somesort, when will I run into one? On my way to clean out the bandit camp and I want to be able to heal my runty little dwarf buddy as I try to hold back on the spell usage to not rest every two minutes.

2. Master Leo Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

some time soon you will receive help from a druidess, but that's it for the healing part

you don't get a cleric until the game is pretty much over, so don't bother, and it's not even necessary imho, the cleric spells are not particularly useful anyway (druid has better), and turn undead just plain does nothing at all

3. Ironhawk Skylord

Ironhawk Skylord If a tree kills alone in the forest, does it make

More specific, you get a cleric in the middle of Act II.

As for usefullness, it's a matter of taste, but druids are certainly not gimped in 3.5 rules nor in this game.

But the cleric gets two spells which are very handy in this game. Undeath to Death and Undeath's Eternal Foe.

4. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I found the druid so now I have her tagging along. I guess you can romance her but not Neeshka? I think I saw something about not being able to romance the cute little tiefling which is a damn shame. How many can you get in your party? It is a great shame that the budget versions of games dont include manuals.

I noticed in the bandit camp that the cut scenes forced your protagonist to the front, which isnt nice if said protagonist is a wizard. Will that happen more times where my squishy clothie protagonist will stand in the line of all the fire at te start of big fights? I want to be able to stay back and sling spells, not tank four rogues and two mages.

5. Ironhawk Skylord

Yes it's true. You can romance Elanee but not Neeshka.

You can have 3 companions in your party in Act I, in Act II you get a mandatory fourth companion, and in Act III you can have 4 companions.

Some of the quests will force that one of the companions is mandatory for that quest too.

There is a manual in PDF format on your DVD which also will be copied to your games program folder.

Unless you chosen a different path when you installed, it should be in C:bad:Program Files\Atari\Neverwinter Nights 2\Documentation.

There should be a shortcut to it in the game folder on the Start Menu too.

I'm afraid you're correct. The game will force the PC up front in cutscenes. So retreat quickly and let your tanks occupy the attackers.

6. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

and the druid gets sunburst, the best anti-undead spell in the game
    seriously, why doesn't cleric get this spell, it's really awsome and nothing can compare? :confused:

yep, unfortunately the game forces your main character to the front of the party for every cutscene, which sucks, particularly since most important battles start with a cutscene

i still recall that cutscene where you get neeshka, and have to fight a few rogue guards, very hard indeed if you're a mage and theres like 3 fighters running behind you... comical

7. Ironhawk Skylord

I agree Master Leo.

Sunburst is probably the most devastating spell for undeads.

It's weird that chosing the Sun domain for clerics doesn't give access to that spell. Sure you get Sunbeam a spell slot earlier, and it's not too shabby, but it's illogical you don't get Sunburst too.

8. joacqin

Media:
    I just arrived in Neverwinter after having, mostly, finished Highcliff. Why I say mostly is because I did not find the children, I teamed up with the Lizardman, cleaned out the ruins freed the lizardmen but no children. I even went back to look around outside as I hadnt done that properly before but no children. I decided to bugger it as the game is sluggish enough as it is without me trying to find non-existant children. How did I miss them though, what did I do wrong? I guess there is a chance that I didnt look through inside the ruins absolutely everywhere but it sure felt as everywhere.

9. Ironhawk Skylord

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 3, 2008
  10. joacqin

Media:
    This is a bit embarrassing but how do I make my druid switch forms? She did it once by herself but then I put her on puppet mode as I dont like my casters to use spells without me telling them. Where is the shape**** button icon? I have to say that in general so is the NWN2 UI horrendously unintuitive and complicated.

11. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

o well i forgot mass heal which is really powerful (150 positive energy damage, 75 if they save), but sunburst is still better, since it hits everything on screen and can kill vampires instantly

sunbeam is an absolute atrocity of a spell, it's similar to sunburst but can hit your party as well which makes it useless, unless you like to run around with blinded party members

i think you need to put cursor at character portrait and then hold the right button until a menu shows up, the option shoulw be there somewhere

personally i've never used shapeshifting in nwn2, it just doesn't seem very useful since your character unequips almost all items and you have to reslot your spells every time :mad:

12. joacqin

Media:
    More questions, is the party limit PC+3? I wanted to bring Qara but then it seemed I had to leave someone behind. I really like Neeshka as a character but she isnt very useful, never seen the point of true class rogues in any CRPG since they always end up really crappy in combat. rogue/caster or rogue/fighter can be true powerhouses though. Will I survive without someone to pick locks and disarm traps? Up to now it has seemed rather vital. I also wonder how I bash things open? Again the UI does very little to be clear, I have been trying to right click and left click but nothing happens. Is it like the wildshape that I need to right click for a few seconds or something to get a menu?

13. Ironhawk Skylord

Agreed. Mass Heal is not bad either. And you're right about Sunbeam hitting partymembers also. Other AoE spells does that too as you know, but still annoying, unless you break it out at the start of the fight.

Yes, the party limit is PC+3 in Act 1 and 2, it will be PC+4 in Act III as I mentioned before, and for reasons you will discover.

Neeshka is not a bad fighter, especially not if she get to flank, and land a sneak attack. With her good DEX you can let her go the Two-Weapon fighting way, and give her a couple of enchanted shortswords or daggers, and there is some good ones out there.

She also has a couple of quests which you will discover. They are optional, but you of course need her with you to do them.

You can set off traps with a companion with a lot of hitpoints like Khelgar. He probably will survive it all, but need healing afterwards.

And yes, containers and some doors can be bashed. The menu for it is as you mention to right-click and wait a few seconds and choose Bash.

To get the menu op quicker, Shift + right-click.

If you bash containers, some of the items inside will be crushed, but it's minor stuff. Gems, GP, magic items, health potions or healing kits will not be destroyed.

As Master Leo mentioned, Wild Shape is actually not that good in NWN2, you get more out of Elanee as buffer, spell-slinger and fighter in her natural shape IMHO.

But you can drag and drop the Wild Shape Feat from your Character page to your Quickbar and activate it there. Later when Elanee gets the Elemental Shape Feat, you can do the same with that.

14. Ironhawk Skylord

Sorry about that Tal.

I've been so used to that Gamebanshee was the only site with maps in a walkthrough, that I forgot that Beren made an excellent walkthrough with maps right here on SP.

I'll link to Beren's walkthrough in the future.

15. Master Leo Gems: 7/31

neeshka is very good in chapter 1, because of the backstory, but later on i prefer to replace her with another character, because you meet more and more creatures which are immune to sneak attacks

other than that, give her two weapon skills (dual-wield rapiers) and flank enemies, and she will literally rip them apart easily (100 damage a round or more)

as for traps and locks, traps aren't much of a problem, because most do laughable damage, but sometimes they will destroy the container in the process (chain lightning trap for example), which leaves you with broken items, but that's a minor issue

open locks is useless in original campaign, because you can just use a wizard level 2 spell knock to open them all, and it's faster too! don't use bash, it will destroy items, and you don't want that, seriously.

16. joacqin

Media:
    What the hell, what kind of crap game is this? I cant get into the merchant district from the docks district. The watch house has burnt down and I was sent to the Merchant district to get new orders. Well, the freaking game crashes when I try to make the transition? I patched the game up the wazoo and still it behaves like this? Anyone know a way around this? Anyone experienced something similar? Is this something I should expect more of in the future? I am rather upset in case you havent noticed, truly disgraceful to have modern games crashing for any reason especially after a few hundred mbs worth of patches.

17. Ironhawk Skylord

Did you install MotB?

What patch are you on?

And do you have all your companions in your party?

18. joacqin

Media:
    I have MotB, I have updated it until it says there are no more updates and I have three companions. Dwarf, druid and sorcerer.

19. Ironhawk Skylord

Okay, if you are sure you are fully updated and one of your companions isn't replaced by a familiar/animal companion, then I would suggest you set your graphics to the lowest possible in Options and try again.

20. joacqin

Media:
    I already have it quite low but I guess I can see if I can lower it. I really do not want to reinstall and start over as the people in the chat advised me. I cant say I have enjoyed the game all that much up to now that starting over hold much appeal. I tried once more with going the roundabout way, I can transfer just fine to areas I have already been to it is that merchant quarter that screws me up.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.