1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

It appears that I now need a desktop too . . .

Discussion in 'Techno-Magic' started by dmc, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
  2. Camel Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

No. Actually the reported ms here more of a realistic number than most manufacturers advertise. 5ms G2G (grey to grey) is is about 14ms black-white-black which is reported here.

Regardless this monitors is one of the best ips panel type monitors for gaming out there. That gives you great image quality and good gaming capabilities.
    And viewing angles 178°/178°.

Doesn't matter in this case. Still very low power consumption for this model. Theres no other benefit for consumer monitors with LED.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Camel - They are a bit thinner and tend to run cooler, which may not be a really big deal, but still nice.

4. Camel Gems: 4/31

yea, thats true. Another aspect of lower power consumption. If I had found a similar monitor with led I would have chosen that of course.

5. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Good to know, Camel. Thanks. (Good thing I had a caveat in my previous post. :D)

6. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Camel - Isn't the main price difference between your two machines Windows 7? That's sort of defeats the purpose of showing me two machines because I need an OS for my machine and I have no desire to screw around with linux or anything like that.

7. Camel Gems: 4/31

Oh yes, hehe :) But not the "entire" difference, the windows 7 package I selected was 100$, and the total difference is 200$
    But, if you use that link on the bottom of my post you will be able select you preference. And just ask if there's something your wondering about.

I also was playing with an amd config just now, It seems you can save about 100$ with an Phenom 2 4 core, but with significant disadvantages. I wouldn't go for it.

My refined shopping list. A balance of the essentials.
    [​IMG]

8. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

Unfamiliar with the store, unfamiliar with the motherboard, unfamiliar with the memory... otherwise little complaints. Except a Sony DVD drive. Grr. Go Samsung.

Also, why do I recommend a Kingston SSDNow drive over the better SSD drives? Because the price difference IS significant. The SSDNow is very cheap.

9. Camel Gems: 4/31

Your unfamiliar with the store? Thats a surprise, considering this is an US Store for US customers only.

"The price difference IS significant" - I don't think so, you must have seen some kind of sale or something, or maybe the other SSD's where overpriced. For example; in AVADirect shop the Kingston costs the same as the others mentioned.

10. Taza

Nah, just bringing to light the questionable reliability of the store. I mean, you're from Norway, or so your profile says, so you wouldn't know if they are scammers or not. Or if they can build or not.

11. Camel Gems: 4/31

That I can tell you right now they are not. They have been long in business, and have a good reputation.

Here's a review on tomshardware: http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/293700-13-avadirect-custom-full-review

12. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    it is. An AMD AM3 3,4 ghz phenom 2 X4, with a 5770, 8 gig memory is good enough to last years. it will play all games out there with lots of eye candy(most maxed out) on a monitor up to 24inch.

Camel: Amd has 1 socket type on witch the processor sits. The next is coming so they have two. Intel has a new socket for almost every type of processor. Now they use 4.

Intel is raw power, stronger in all things in the top segment of the market. AMD is price performance in the middle and low end. I did not make this up, the hardware reviewers on the tech sites do. Yes, more money gets you more pc but there remains the question:

What is it that the user is going to do with the pc?

And if an AMD setup costing 400 less will do the job for years. I say put it on the bank and upgrade the pc with it when you hit the performance-ceiling. If you hit it playing older RPG's

---------- Added 0 hours, 27 minutes and 31 seconds later... ----------

I had one of the first ssdnow's from Kingston without the trim.

never, never, never get an ssd without trim. Never.

13. Chandos the Red

Media:
  14. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    Agree, except I'd definitely go for the i5 2500k rather than the i5 2400.. (dmc, you don't need to know what that means, so don't moan about techno-babble, just ask for it at the store :cool:).

15. Camel Gems: 4/31

I tend to agree with this, but seeing as such a system can't be found for significantly lower price, I think its a bad choice.

The point is that AMD will not release any new processors for the AM3 socket platform.

400 less is significant, but I can't seem to find any such offer. One other thing to note, is that the sandy system will last years longer than any current AMD offering.

Thank you both, nice with some feedback. For me and dmc probably.
    I read the rest of the thread and hadn't noticed before his need for new peripherals. Here's hte sensible keyboard and mouse choices, if you buying at ava.

[​IMG]

16. Taza

... okay, yeah, that I won't disagree with. That probably nobody disagrees with.

17. Merlanni

Merlanni Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Yes the Sandy system will last longer. it is suppose to for that money. But hey, if you have it, use it by all means on a Sandy Bridge.

I will if I had it.

It is not the point I wanted to make. I never had 1000 for a pc, I must scrape figures of 400 to 500 together for a new pc so I favour AMD. I look at it from the bottom.

18. Camel Gems: 4/31

Yes, I see. Its a good point, and I do apologize if anything I said seem a bit rude or hostile. It was only an attempt to impart important information about the computer industry in a succinct kind of way, as tech-babble isn't appreciated here. (Even though this certainly is the right forum)
    And that being underneath a quote of yours, I can understand if it was misinterpreted.

Rotku likes this.
  19. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    I agree. That's why I bought an Intel drive. At the time they were the only ones offering TRIM. I am very happy with my purchase.

20. Merlanni

Media:
    I am not offended in any way.

So was the OCZ vertex.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.