1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is XP impacted by summons, companions, henchmen etc

Discussion in 'Neverwinter Nights (Classic)' started by Harbourboy, Jun 3, 2005.

1. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

[​IMG] There was another thread recently which tried to explain how XP from fights worked in NWN. What I'm still not sure of is how the XP you get from a fight is impacted by the presence of allies (i.e. henchmen, familiar, animal companion, summons). Do you get more or less XP for having allies in the fight?

Example: who would get more XP for the same fight out of:
    a) a melee oriented Half-Orc Druid who wades in and does his own fighting
    b) a summoning oriented Elf Druid whose strength lies in being able to call up powerful allies to assist him?

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    As far as I understand it, the more members you have in your party, the less XP you get per fight, and the CR drops more quickly with a more powerful party, so you get even less XP in fights.

So I'd definitely say a) based on my understanding.

3. Khemsa Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

Taluntain is correct. The XP you get in a fight is split amongst all the participants, including henchmen, summons and familiars. The more of you there are, the less XP your character will get. This is mitigated somewhat by the fact that a large, high level party will generate large, tougher spawns. However, the extra XP for the tougher spawns will not compensate for the XP lost to the rest of the party.

Therefore, if you can do it, always play solo -- no henchmen, summons or familiar. Anyway, the AI is terrible so you will spend too much time trying to get the rest of the party to do what you want. If you want to run a party, play the BG or IWD series. NWN is best played solo.

4. Harbourboy

Harbourboy Take thy form from off my door! Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

That doesn't really sound fair. In my example, the two characters are identical but one has focussed on melee skills and the other has focussed on summoning skills. Both are using their skills to defeat the same enemy. But one gets more XP than the other. It makes me reluctant to use summoning spells if I can find something else that works, which surely can't be the intention of the methodology.

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    The idea is that the more members there are in the party, the easier it is to defeat monsters, which is correct generally, especially in the case of NWN. Unfortunately, the game doesn't take into account the actual power of the summons or familiars. A fairy is useless in fights, for example, but still steals XP. I don't think the game adjusts the amount of XP that summons of familiars take, so it's only based on their number in the party.

6. Harbourboy

I can understand having to share XP with your henchman because that is an extra person, external to your powers.

But you shouldn't get less XP for using animal companions and summons because they are part of your powers.

7. Taluntain

Media:
    Well, that depends on how you look at it. According to that theory you should also be able to summon an unlimited number of creatures to help you fight, but that would upset the game balance.

8. Harbourboy

I don't mind the limit on summoning (based on the the mental control required to keep more than one summons in line), but I'm just a bit annoyed that a spellcaster can get less XP from casting Summon Elemental than from casting Horrid Wilting.

Do you even have to share XP with Mordenkainnen's Sword? What a gyp.

9. Tassadar Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

Hmmm, that does seem to be a bit wrong. I can understand other party members stealing XP, but your own summons? That's why I play rogues. :)

10. Harbourboy

Me too, but I want to play something else next. I look at the cool summons that a Druid can have but I don't want to base my strategy around summons if they're going to steal XP from me.

11. khaavern Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

They don't steal that much (or rather, what they steal is compensated by the fact that the game generates more monsters for you to fight).

If I remember correctly, the difference in experience gained in the OC beween a mage using summons (+ familiar) and one who doesn't was somewhat more than one level (I finished the game with one at level 16, with the other at close to 18)

12. Harbourboy

Wow - you finished this game twice? You legend.

I'm on Level 14 at the start of Chapter 3. I hope that doesn't mean I only have a couple more level-ups for the rest of the game!

13. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    What's the relation between the amount of XP you lose to henchmen and the amount you get from doing their quests?

14. Harbourboy

Chev, probably not relevant given that you only need to have the henchman with you for 5 seconds to complete their quests. My usual routine would be to recruit the henchman, have the quest conversation, go fight someone, watch helplessly as they wade stupidly into battle and die instantly, then have to plod on solo because I'd broke going back to Tyr every few minutes to pick them back up again.

15. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Right, you can have the henchman in your party just for the amount of time needed to give them the object of their quest (gem, or feather, or whatever). So then you don't lose any points.

Harbourboy: what are you doing to those henchmen ?! I recruited even the gnome sorcerer for some time, and it was okay (Of course I had to stay in front and take the brunt of the attacks, but it was easy enough. Other than some wizards, I don't think there are very tough enemies in the OC)

16. Harbourboy

My henchmen always rush madly into battle and refuse to retreat when wounded so they die. And that's the warriors. The spellcasters are even worse. A human controlled character just acts with a bit more self-preservation.

17. khaavern Gems: 14/31

Right. But still they should not die so fast :o

You could tell them to stand, and attack first. Then when the enemy has concentrated upon you (who, presumably, are all buffed and well prepared :) ) tell your henchman to attack. He/she should last longer.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.