1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is this a good party?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by iLLusioN', Jul 13, 2003.

1. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

i don't get that. when you reach, let's say lvl 12 or 13 you got max attacks with your archer regardless of short- or longbow. there is no such thing as faster bow. damage counts. you can shoot at a tank with your submachine gun but you need a bazooka to kill it. ok, you cannot harm irongolems in SoA but who cares? you don't solo do you? others will make your kills and overall longbows are far better.

maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyybe you could convince me to count shorties as good as long ones in SoA only.

2. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Well one reason that i went with shortbows is because you have to have 19 strength to use the strong arm and im not gonna waste a belt to give my archer 1 to strength, and because gesen is +4 and i dont remember any +4 longbows in the game. I'll take your advice on the theif Aldeth, and duel him at level 11. I dont really like the avengers and also my party is gonna be made by me and my friend(who doesnt like avengers) and played over a lan, so its not only up to me. Also, bloodtitan i like the gesen far more than any of the longbows in the game(that i have used) and mainly because its +4 and i dont have to waste a bunch of inventory slots on ammo.

3. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] NO!

The reason to use Gesen is exactly that - it does magical damage by itself, AND you can fire arrows with it. If the creature you are attacking is not immune to the arrows you are firing, you get the arrow damage in addition to the electrical damage from the bow itself.

Say you are firing arrows of ice with the Gesen bow. You will get

1-6 arrow damage
    1-6 ice damamge
    1-6 electrical damage

That doesn't take into account any of the bonuses you receive from the archer. So all told, it's the most damaging bow in the game.

As far as +4 Long Bows go, they are available in ToB, and there is one in SoA - the Mana Bow in the southeast corner of the forest where Coran is.

4. Victor Eremita Gems: 8/31

Still, long bows are cooler... Short bows are a weapon for thieves and the like, archers use long bows. Maybe the Gesen is more powerful but from a role playing perspective I'd go for long bows.

@LoS_DrIzZt4:
    Instead of the Strong Arm you can use the Heartseeker (a plus 3 long bow - better than the Strong Arm IMO)... and like all composite long bows it requires 18 strength.

5. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Abit off topic, but bows are currently discussed...

The gesen bow does 2 piercing and 1-8 electrical damage. Just so you know.

6. Bloodtitan Gems: 8/31

the duke is right and that is why i hate it and consider it a waterpistol. yeah, shortbow is for gnomes and such midgets, longbow is the weapon of hunters and foresters.
    and seriously, there is no real disadvantage in the avenger class.

7. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

Thanks for all the feedback guys, ill keep it in mind when i make the party.

8. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

A minor point in the scheme of things, but would a Cavalier work with a Priest of Talos?

Why not use a kit for your thief? Assassins are great mage killers or use the bounty hunter for some cool traps.

Oh! and where's the bard???

9. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31

i want two healers in the group so im just gonna take the theif to 11 and duel her

10. xnnixq Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Nah, Where do you need a powerful bow when you have the Called Shot?

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Why a Totemic Druid? I would definitely keep a druid as they have some of the best anti-mage spells in the game. Why not take an avenger instead? Don't multi-class him as it would take far too long to get to L15 and above.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.