1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is the enhanced edition worth it?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate 2: Enhanced Edition' started by Slith, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

I'm curious - would you guys recommend getting the enhanced edition? I'm sure better graphics are nice, but they don't particularly interest me. If there's more content (particularly with companions!) then I think it may be worth it.

2. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    There is a little more content and a few new companions. Some people like them, some don't. I also found that it just made things easier to run on a modern computer. (I still have my original disks for BG, BG2, IWD1, IWD2, and PST, so if I ever want to go back, I can.)

The modders have transitioned to the EE's as well.

3. Slith

Is it mostly newly-made mods, or are there ports of the old?

4. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Ports of the old and newer ones. If you look at Gibberlings3 website, you can see that their mods now cover all different versions of everything. I think others have also done the same. Admittedly, I haven't pulled out these games much recently to delve into it, but there you go.

Slith likes this.
  5. Slith

Thanks, dmc!

6. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    I think the enhanced editions are more for convenience, don't have to install the fixpacks or anything. On the other hand, if you like some of the cheese in the originals, you're better off with the originals ;)

7. templarseeker Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Hmm... I prefer the originals compared to the enhanced edition for a couple of reasons. the new characters in the enhanced edition of BG1 and BG2 are nothing special, the new characters are rather shallow and feels like they’re being forced to be included in the enhanced edition as a sort of consolation… Minsc and the others are way better than the new characters. Also there’s more bugs in the enhanced edition than it was in the original, for some reason the Spell Sequencer icon disappears from the ability menu? In addition, I really don't want to involved myself with the SJW BG fan-fiction filth that is called Dragonspear...

Playing the BG enhanced editions reminds of me SJW ruining the BG franchise to satisfy their nonsense political agenda.

The GOG.COM version of the original BG1 and BG2 can easily be install on any modern PCs without issues.

The only enhanced editions of the Infinity Engine games that really matters are Icewind Dale and Planescape: Torment.

In other words, nothing beats the original!

8. Keneth Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    There is no real reason not to transition to EEs. On the other hand, there's no real reason to get them either unless you're having issues with the older editions. There's less work if you wanna play the games out of the box. No need for fixpacks, patches, widescreen mod, etc. But otherwise, there's no real benefit.

From a modder's standpoint, there's no way I'd ever bother with the core games again. The EEs have most of the benefits of ToB egine + TobEx + new stuff that makes my life much easier. I've dropped support for non-EE games years ago.

This is fixed in v2.6, but it's not out of beta yet. There's probably a community fix as part of a fixpack somewhere as well.

As with all software, the more you build on it, the more bugs you produce. EE introduces as many bugs as they fixed, but at least they're still working on it.

9. damedog Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Resourceful Veteran

In short, yes. Enough improvements in enough areas to make it worth. I mess around in the Black Pits more than actually run through BG these days myself

10. henkie

henkie Hammertime Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    Maybe, but not for the full €20 they ask on GoG. Get it on a discount for €5, if you feel like it's worth it.

11. Nizidramanii'yt Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

Veteran

*casts Raise dead on topic*

It depends. Imo not much has changed. The new characters aren't really worthwhile imo, though they come with new areas and - therefore - quests. Dorn and Rasaad were pretty kewl imho.
    I personally don't see a difference between original + fixes and the new one.

However: since the game costs about 5$ in sales it should definitely be worth it.

BG1:EE is obviously worth it as it converts the game to the BG2-UI.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.