1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Khalid really all THAT bad?

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by Niskers, Dec 3, 2003.

1. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I think Khalid has gotten a tough break. He's actually a fairly decent fighter, but everyone seems to hate him. Okay so his quotes are a little wimpy at times, and maybe his stats aren't perfect (who's are?), and he's not much of a front liners, but I found him invaluable with a bow during the game.

So why is it everyone hates him?

2. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

I like Khalid, even if he is the posterchild for whipped husbands. I think the main knock against him is his abysmal morale score. He tends to panic and run more often than other fighters in the game.

"Better part of valor!" :D

3. Niskers Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

hmm....now that you mention it when I had him on the front lines my first time through he did run away a lot...but if you put him in a safer position it's not really a problem

4. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

The bow dominates in BG1 and with 17 DEX Khalid is pretty good with one. Furthermore, he can get better than specialized in it which is good. His 15 STR is a bit of a downer and you can't really fix it until you get the Gauntlets Of Ogre Power quite late in the game. His morale does have a habit of breaking, but this only occurs when he's close to 0 HP, so just be careful!

5. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

I actually found that he made a fairly descent frontliner. Give him a great sword with high * in it, throw on some Ankheg Armour and tower shield, have a couple strength potions ready. His AC was high enough that nobody managed to beat him into fear.

6. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    He was my front line tank for the whole game and expansion, and once he came to a decent number of HP, he was great. But giving him the Gauntlets of Ogre Power is a must.

7. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Khalid is the best fighter and second best tank in the game.

Minsc is everyones favourite tank, but he has lower hps than Khalid and levels slower. I know Khalid has lower base strength, but this is so easily fixed. There are hundreds of strength potions available, plus spells if need be and the gauntletts when you get them. Give Khalid and Minsc the same potion and Khalid will hit easier and do more damage.

His con is 17, this gives him loads of hit points. Only Kagain has more (20). Everyone raves about how good Kagain is at tanking, but he has a dreadful dex and you have to make a choice of improving kagains dex or str. With Khalid it's easy, just improve his str.

He has ok dex (16), which helps and give him a shield and good armour and his ac is godly.

Never stick Khalid to using a bow. There are much better archers out there. Coran and Kivan for example. Khalid is a front-line tank through-and-through and should be used as such.

Have Khalid up-front taking the hits and Minsc behind hitting with his big sword with Khalid protecting the poor mite.

I think part the problem is that when you get Khalid he's level 1 and takes a while to level-up and improve his hit points. Whereas all other fighters are at least level 2 when you get them.

His morale is sorted once he has more hp, plus you can get Kiels Helmet later on if you need it.

8. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    I understand that you certainly can give Khalid a bow, but what a waste. He's definitely a frontliner. Because he can get more than two proficiency points in a weapon (and those points aren't nerfed like they are in BG2) he can easily have one of the best THACOs in the group. With the gauntlets of Ogre Power, he hits for some of the best damage in the group. Gee, a guy that hits more often and does more damage when he does hit? Sounds good to me!

9. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

"(and those points aren't nerfed like they are in BG2)"

Three stars in BG2 works the same as three stars in BG1....

10. Chris Williams Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I don't think you're correct.

BG1
    Specialized: +1/+2, extra ½ attack
    Mastery: +3/+3
    High mastery: +3/+4
    Grand mastery: +3/+5, extra ½ attack

BG2
    Specialized: +1/+2, extra ½ attack
    Mastery: +2/+2
    High mastery: improved speed factor (gee, thanks)
    Grand mastery: +2/+3

Apologies for posting BG2 stuff in the BG1 forum, but the argument needed refuting. Khalid can achieve grand mastery in longswords which compensates for his lack of strength. Minsc with specialization gets +3/+7 compared to +3/+5 for Khalid with grand mastery. Khalid is certainly not lacking in frontline capabilities.

Having said this, Shar-Teel with grand mastery would get +5/+8! But then she doesn't have Khalid's high dexterity and constitution.

11. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Khalid can only reach high mastery, as he can only get up to level 8 in BG1/TOTSC. Still that is pretty good by anyones standard.

12. Buck Naked Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

"I don't think you're correct."

Apparently not.

:doh:

13. jeremiah Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Err Sharteel has high dexterity (she can dual to thief). She does have lousy constitution to be a frontliner (but she does have strength to lug around tons of potions of fortitude LOL).

14. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

She does indeed. Her strength is fairly good, but once you start using potions or the gauntletts this doesn't mean much. Her dex will give her 1 pt. of AC better than Khalid, which will help. She is badly let down by HPs though, and this is the only thing that really stops her being a front-line tank and why Khalid is better. I do take her in my party quite often and I love her dialog options.

15. Terelya Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

I like Khalid, I always have him at the frontline with a sword. If you give him a good shield he becomes even better.

16. Wil Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

I once posted here "comparing warriors" that Shar-Teel was the best warrior if you look at numbers (Thaco, HP, damage...). And she needs no gauntlets, contrary to Khalid or Minsc. Note that she also may equip Kasgaroth's claw without losing anything, contrary to others. But she's rather evil!
    But in fact Khalid is a perfectly decent warrior too, the "wimp" will kill a lot of tough monsters. I agree there are better archers, Khalid needs to be on the front, with a shield. Kagain wields axes... not great in BG.
    The great benefit of Khalid is that when you dump him, he takes Jaheira with him... saves you the trouble... (kidding)

17. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Well, as most people have seem to agreed on is that Khalid is a perfectly good fighter. I always, when playing with a party, take Khalid and Jaheira along. They both make a good addition to the party. Although he might not be better if you look at everything I like Minsc better though. But that´s just because he´s a lunatic with a hamster :D

18. Jaguar Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Veteran

Like I said before, I like Khalid, one of the better good fighters. The only hangup that I have is that he comes with Jaheria. When I play, I usually kill of Jaheria so that Khalid stayss and take on Branwen(great cleric).

19. Evil Dad Gems: 15/31

Don't want to change subject here, but Jaheira is one of the best NPCs in the entire series of Baldurs Gate. Usually I dump Khalid, but I always keep Jaheira no matter what.

20. Duke Eltan Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Word Bard. I dont understand why people complain about her. Khalid I can understnad, he´s a whimp and have lame comments. Jaheira is a must in every party (even in BG2 (sry)).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.