1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is God Evil?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Hey, Amon-Ra, haven't we had this discussion somewhere else?

God created us to love and worship Him. But He wanted more than automatons, so He gave us the capacity to choose between good and evil (or God and not-God). As mentioned in the above discussion, those people appreciate wealth the most who have experienced poverty, or health the most who have experienced sickness, or -- you get my drift. We have a greater capacity to love God specifically because of our ability to choose.

If you don't like that, well -- I'm sorry. Can the vase rant to its potter, "Why did you make me like this? I wanted to be a coffee cup!"

So we are responsible for everything our children will ever do? You could, of course, extend that; we influence a lot more people than just our children, so maybe we're to blame for their actions too.

2. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Almost most things our children do our our fault. Be it good or bad. True, to get really screwed up people there most often needs more than parents to make screw them up royally but parents still are at the root. For every massmurderer and human monster there is a mother and/or father that is partly to blame. You might not even have been bad in a classical sense by doing drugs or boozing up, it can be very small things that you cant even really help or do something about. Working in a mental institute where sick criminals get treatment there is one thing I have learnt: Everything can be traced back to the mother. It is the mother most of the time actually, could be because we have only men in our ward, what do I know?
    Free will isnt nearly as free as we think it is. It takes extraordinarily strong individuals to excert any free will at all.

3. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    So.... now we have a power/being loved-obsessed God

Is an entity like that worthy of being or being called God?

I cannot believe in a God who wants to be praised all the time. - Nietzsche

And BTW, I think God rather liked genuine believe instead of "If I donĀ“t believe I go to hell :aaa: "

partly responsible, as the child gets older, there are too much outer influences and less direct influence from the parents

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.