1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is God Evil?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Elios, Mar 15, 2003.

1. Capstone Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

[​IMG] Grr. Are you trying to say that my desires are not me? That they are somehow a mysterious separate entity? I can't follow the logic here. Of course, that could be because logic doesn't exist either...

2. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Recent evidence has suggested that the human mind exist of two entities, the lower subconcious part, which actually controls everything, and the concious part which we think is us.
    The lower part controls us (the concious) by sending it desires.

The lower part reacts to different elements in our surrounding, everything from climate to family.

In the end we can´t choose to not having a cookie even if our subconcious part keeps flooding us with desires. Especialy if there is no reason to not having the cookie.

This system explains why fat-addicts, alcoholics, sex-addicts, drug-addicts, etc, keep going into a downward spiral even if they know its bad. they cant stop it, they are slaves of their own mind.

This also explains why I can´t hate humans,

In the end, we are all slaves of our own mind, and the only liberation is death

P.S.
    This subconcious might as well be associated with souls, I´m not saying it is, but it might.

[ March 17, 2003, 21:29: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

3. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] BAH. Someone else post something, so it's not just me and Morgoth going back and forth.

Once again, regardless of whether we consist of one, two, or three entities, these are all an integral part to the whole. My subconscious is no less who I am than my conscious is, and if my subconscious is truly controlling me as you state, then it is really more who I am than the other parts of me.

Also, for every addiction there are people who have beaten that addiction. There is always a choice between doing and not-doing. The reason addicts choose to do is because their desire for a certain thing is stronger than any other desire. That desire is still a part of who they are, not some outside alien controlling force. They may hate the consequences of their actions, but they don't hate it enough to stop.

4. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    I'm not sayng only Africans should be neutered. There are alot of white people who should be neutered too. And Sprite, I am not racist so stop trying to make me out to be one.

5. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Shell, there is a more appropriate topic for this discussion. Please post here. Then we will all happily bash your odd views over there.

6. megsta_kitty Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

ok god didnt create evil , he created lucifer, and lucifer had the choice, and the choice he made was to overthrow god. that choice was evil, its a behavior, not a thing. you are evil, or you are holy. there we go. email me at meganburd@msn.com if you wanna argue about it!

7. Morgoth

Media:
    Capstone, if you want me to stop, just say so :)

Now another problem arises, we are the concious part, the subconcious still exist but we can't really gain control over that.
    I like to see the subconcious as a remainder of our instinct.

There are many people who have won against their addictions, but it just means that the desire of "staying alive, running and healthy" is stronger than their desire for their adiction.

Therefor we should not judge people to soon, they are the victims of themselves.

@megsta_kitty
    You can just start another topic, if you want the discussion to reman public, that is.
    I do not want a private discussion over email, PM's are a better alternative :)

BTW, if holy and evil are the only two options, I'll choose evil, its the least restrictive

[ March 18, 2003, 11:05: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

8. Shell

Shell Awww, come and give me a big hug!

Media:
    There isn't any proof that God actually exists so if he doesn't exist he can't be holy or evil :)

9. Morgoth

Media:
    Aah Shell, but then you should expect the reply "There is only faith" :)

Now it is not a matter of if he/she/it exists or not, since that is an impossible discussion which can only end in a tie

10. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Not really Morgoth, if I said that unicorns existed you would not believe me until I had shown you one. I have always found it interesting that this does not go for divine beings. People arent believed when they say they saw a big monkey up in the mountains but millions believe that some invisible entity no one even claims to have seen controls our destiny. We live in a funny world.

11. Morgoth

Media:
    Because unicorns arent really used in creationist theories and therefor explaining where we came from ;)

12. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    i agree with joa, if someone showed me god then i would belive in him. but untill then im sticking with me veiw that god doesnt exist, he never has and he never will. unless of course god is walking on Earth possing as a mortal, just not dieing but going into other bodys when his old one is about to die

13. Morgoth

Media:
    Hrrr... sorry, cant help but put one of my fav quotes here :D

14. Capstone Gems: 16/31

[​IMG] Joacqin and Dalveen, I'd wager you believe dinosaurs existed, even though you've never seen one. Physical sight is not the only means of observation, nor does it produce the most reliable evidence.

Morgoth, I think we will have to agree to disagree; I simply can't accept your claim that my subconscious is something separate from me. I have to say that this statement bothers me incredibly:
    I think that is what is wrong with society today, and America's in particular. Everyone's a victim. It is ridiculous and childish, in my opinion, to deny any responsibility for your actions.

15. Morgoth

Media:
    Heh, thats a cool dilemma. But denying their responsibility won´t help though.

If a pedo says he is the victim of his desires, he still should be locked away, to save the society, doesnt matter if he is guilty or not..

[ March 29, 2003, 10:35: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

16. joacqin

joacqin Confused Jerk Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Capstone, didnt you see that I said that I believed in the existance of a god? Pray tell what it is exactly that makes the judeo-christian god more real than Allah, Shivu, Krishna, Zeus, Odin, Ra and innumereable others, the same goes the other way around. Any book is just a book nothing more than that.

I do believe dinosaurs once existed, just as I believe that big blue whales exists, I have neither seen whales or dinosaurs with my own eyes but the evidence is overwhelming that they exist. You are correct in saying that eye sight is not the only way to gauge if somethings exists or not, but neither is pure faith either. Pink hairly Elephants do not exists just because I think they do and see them in dreams now and then.

17. Dalveen

Dalveen Rimmer gone Bald Veteran

Media:
    :yot:
    technically pink hairy elephants do exsist, it happens when normal elephants roll in a wierd pink mud that turns them pink untill they wash it off and elephants are naturall hairy just there hairs and very thin and dont covre there whole body.
    also dinosaurs did exsist unless your telling me that all the fossils and bones they found are just fakes.

18. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I have to say that if we create inside ourselves, then God is neutral. He is good, and evil.

19. Mystra's Chosen Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

I beleive in God because it's been a religion for a very long time. I do not believe in Hindu though, because to me it sounds absolutly rediculous. Islam, Judaism and Christianity are very much alike, the only difference is the techniacalities (such as Jesus, what his role was and whether he was the SON of God, or just a prophet). That's my impression at least.

As for the question, I think that human beings created evil because God gave us a free will. He gave us a mind to use, for whatever purpose we want.

I also loathe organized religion. I think it's just giving people an excuse to blame everything on God. Also, I'm sick of people saying 'If God wants me to do this, then I will'. I say, I you want to do something, do it. Quit waiting around. God is supposed to be the most powerful entity in the universe, do you really think YOU'D be waiting for HIM?

20. Morgoth

Media:
    Well as far as I now, the Jewish God thingy started 3000 to 5000 years ago... heh even the Big Bang theory is older

But who gave us the intention to create evil? So we just created evil out of good :hmm:

If God created the universe, don´t you think he was standing outside the boundaries of time, logic and space?

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.