1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is Dragon Age worth the hype?

Discussion in 'Dragon Age: Origins' started by hannibal555, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    For perspective: In Mass Effect the DLC was one quest for Asteroid X58 (for free, and a good quest) and another DLC with a combat training center (which is about € 5, and reportedly boring).

2. Scythesong Immortal Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

Media:
    Well as long as they don't forget that reality is about the totality of the whole spectrum (known or unknown) and that racism, sex, violence etc. cannot exist without their "classic disney"-esque counterparts (separately/together/some other complication) - then I'll be happy.
    Otherwise I don't believe it will ever be BG-ish, and so those game mechanics had better be as good as the reviewers are saying they are.

3. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Well, one of the things that I really like is that they're modeling this world heavily off of the real world. Religions, racism, politics, trust, hope, humor, everything looks like it's represented. I am a little worried that it may end up too dark in theme, but not too worried. Reviewers have reported that the classic BW wit is present.

4. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31
    Latest gem: Sphene

Is the game worth the HYPE?

YES! YES! YES!....

Buy it, play it, and enjoy it!

5. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I wish I could! But I have no money and a crappy computer. I WAITED YEARS FOR THIS!!!
    :cry:

On a related note, I'm now taking donations for the "Let NOG Play Dragon Age" foundation.

6. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

LOL..

You could buy it for a PS3 or XBox 360 if you have one of those consoles. The game cost more up front but if you don't have a PC built to play DA and don't have the money to build a new PC, the console way is the way to go.

7. Kieran Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

This game does sound good. I'm pleased because I was a bit worried as I hated jade Empire and thought the gameplay in Mass Effect stunk. Hopefully this will be more like BG and KoToR. I will miss the D & D rules though.

8. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

How the game is played and the views available to you will depend if you purchase the game for PC or console. PC has more viwable options. Console has one; the character you are using is the character the camera follows.

As for the rules; I'm finding these rules to be better than D&D. D&D limited character development because you could not increase stats that often. This game you need to increase stats to make your spells and special abilities more powerful, etc...

I heard that the choices you make alter the game movies, so I'm testing it by replaying the Magi final task in the very beginning of the game.

9. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I have a PS3, but:
    1.) I want the toolset and overhead view available on the console.
    2.) I want mouse control.
    3.) I actually don't even have the luxory money to buy the game itself!

10. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

I bought it the game using my credit card; normally I pay cash for everything expect large ticket items; however, I decide to go against my normal rules and bought the game on credit. Of course it will be paid prior to any interest being charged though. :)

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    I'm unemployed and have eaten through my savings already. I'm living with my parents while job-hunting. I'm being careful even with my credit cards.

12. Kieran Gems: 2/31

Call me weird but I kinda like the D&D constraints. I like planning ahead and working out what way I can take a character forward. Having too much freedom makes it hard to visualise what way you should be developing your character - it's the main reason I could never get into IWD2.

As for the whole console vs. PC debate, I think I'll go with PC. I think Mass Effect proved it's hard to pull off a game like this on a console.

13. Nazgul Gems: 2/31

The game

Coming out with anything else on it. I just picked it up today for my Birthday. So will get it installed and start playing it (for the PC)

14. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

DAO does not allow multi classing like D&D. If you are a Rogue you can only be a Rogue. There is no taking another class down the road. The nice thing though is you do get to select 2 specializations. These specializations offer unique special ability/spells that only the specialized class can take. Each main class has four specializations to pick from.

As for Console vs. PC, as I explained in more than one post I picked PS3, console, because my wife uses the computer for about 2 hours each day. So, when she is on the computer I play the game on the PS3. This gives me more gaming time. If I would of purchased the game on PC I would only play the game for 5 hours a week if that when my wife is at work or sleeping until 9AM on Sunday. I want to buy the PC verison later on this year as it has more going for it; however, I wanted to play DAO on release day and purchased the game for the system I would get the most use.

15. Munchkin Blender Gems: 22/31

Bioware didn't lie. To boost sales that have DLCs.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.