1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Is 4th Edition here? - 4adventure on WOTC site.

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by diagnull, Aug 16, 2007.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Eh. I'm not sure I like the direction where it's going. On the one hand it seems to look nice, on the other hand... something is lacking. A bit like it doesn't have the D&D character any more.

2. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

I got the follow wishes of 4e:

Removal of Alignment
    Fixing of dumb hitpoints, AC, and the related things
    Removal of classes, make three or four core classes only
    Removal of stupid spellcasting system
    Larger distinguishing of races
    Heavier emphasis on roleplaying and less on combat

3. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Quote: Rawgrim, shooting yourself counts as Coup-de-Grace. [Wink]

Whats the difference if you shoot yourself with a laser gun, or is an enemy does it from 5 feet away? Plus if you shoot yourself in the leg, for fun, it won`t count as coup de grace. But it still doesn`t mess up your leg. You can still run just as fast afterwards.

I agree with you almost completely there Register. They should start making a roleplaying game, and not something thats all about damage per round.

4. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Er, Register (and Rawgrim, it appears) - perhaps you should consider a different system and just forget about D&D...

I don't think they should butcher it (which is what doing those things would do). Sure, I think it's a pretty bad example of RPG design in its current form, but throwing out the things that make D&D what it is would be silly.

What would be nice would be if they'd leave it alone, or wrap it up somehow with a definitively finished version. Because really, the game doesn't need any more updating to be what it is, and changing it into something else to sell more copies is pathetic.

(and for all those complaining about the state of the hobby, I would like to put in my obligatory plug for the indie scene: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_role-playing_game )

5. Register Gems: 29/31

Actually Aikanaro, D&D IS on the shelf for me, I'm playing other games right now. But, if they fixed all or at least most of those things I mentioned then maybe me and my group would at least consider playing D&D again. Alignments are a stupid system and so is hitpoints the way it is now, the spellcasting system makes no sense, the races they seem to be fixing with racial levels, the emphasis on combat NEEDS to be fixed, and the class system is clunky and really quite unneccesary.

6. Rawgrim Gems: 21/31
    Latest gem: Pearl

Hey Register. You should check out the Riddle of Steel roleplaying game. Very realistic combat system. And the magic works really well too. Plus you can`t tweak with feats and stuff and make a Drizzt clone that manages to make around 20 attacks per round. Riddle of Steel is fantasy of course, but very very realistic. No level or hitpoint system in it either. It focuses on actuall roleplaying.

7. General Ghoul Gems: 8/31
    Latest gem: Skydrop

Brilliant marketing, don't cha think. What ever happen the putting out a quality product to make monry.

8. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

One can always hope...

9. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Kinda agrees with Aikanaro there (sorry if I misspelled your nick there). Doing the laterations Register suggested would make the game "not-D&D", however much I agree with the suggestions for a RPG in general, just not D&D.

Oh well, some day it will be out, and then I'll buy the PHB, and have a look at it. Should be interesting enough to see what they considered "good and bad". Don't see a point in removing races though.

Also, just to be picky. You can roleplay in any system as long as you have a good DM, never been a fan of setting up the entire rules to near "prevent" players from getting into combat. Setting and DM should get that message through.

10. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

I disagree extremely strongly with what you're saying/implying. Different systems, depending on what actions they support and shun, will lead to different sorts of play and is one of the more worthwhile uses of a set of rules to begin with.

I mean, sure, you *can* roleplay in any system so long as you have a good DM. It's just a little silly to use a system that works against your style of play though.

11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  12. Oaz Gems: 29/31

There are different kinds of role-playing, of course, and any good system serves to facilitate that. (D&D right now serves the whole good vs. evil conflict so prevalent in fantasy, for example.)

I would like to see D&D butcher some of its sacred cows, for one. I'm not a huge fan of the whole divine/arcane magic divide, for instance. People will complain that the new edition is not "real" D&D, but Wizards isn't going to care much if it brings new players into the hobby, which is important in the interests of most RPGers. I imagine the new edition will emphasize action and adventure overall, and, really, do that better than the previous incarnation* -- and hasn't D&D been based on that high fantasy action and adventure?

* A new edition of a game, assuming it doesn't have crap designers, builds off the strengths and discards the weaknesses of the old one.

13. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

I think that every step of the way, they've done that as well as opening up new avenues for the game to grow. I'd like to see that with fourth edition. Perhaps a bridge to Modern and Futuristic settings included in the core books...

14. Oaz Gems: 29/31

Wizards currently does have a d20 Modern/Historical line, and its system is not so different from that of D&D. (In fact, I think one of the setting gimmicks is "D&D-verse crosses over with ours.) But to be fair, I'd probably pick a different system for modern settings.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.