1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Iraqi Leaders For Obama

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Chandos the Red, Jul 22, 2008.

1. Aldeth the Foppish Idiot

Aldeth the Foppish Idiot Armed with My Mallet O' Thinking Veteran

Media:
    The problem with The Reps (most notably McCain) is the way the end to the ar has been framed by the Bush administration. Essentially, any withdrawal from Iraq that is not done exclusively on our terms has been described as a defeat. That Iraq is now asking for a timetable for withdrawal also flies in the face of the Bush administration's policy. "We can't set a date for withdrawal, or the terrorists will just wait us out!"

I never have been able to understand why the Democrats get labelled as the appeasers and being weak in times of war. History indicates otherwise. Look at the major conflicts in the last 100 years:

WWI - began and ended during a Democratic administration
    WWII - began and ended during a Democratic administration (granted it was two different presidents, but both Dems)
    Korea - started under a Democratic administration, ended under a Republican administration
    Vietnam - started and escalated during Democratic administrations, we pulled out under a Republican administration
    Gulf War - started and ended under a Republican administration
    Iraq War - started under a Republican administration ended during a ??? administration.

While there are probably dozens of other minor military conflicts I could list, I think these are all the big ones. With the exception of the Gulf War (which is easily the smallest of the conflicts on that list), where are the mighty Republican military regimes? I'm not seeing it.

2. Chandos the Red

Chandos the Red This Wheel's on Fire

Media:
    It really did not matter, because Libby would have received the Executive Pardon, regardless of what he had been convicted of doing. The difference with Martha is that she actually did the time in prison for her crimes. And yes Cheney appears to be hiding behind "Executive Privilege" as well. They are all hiding behind Mama Bear, GWB - a nice mockery of justice. It appears that GWB and Cheney have learned much from Richard Nixon. I'm not sure why you bothered to go there, Martaug.

3. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Let's look at what you're arguing. Libby wasn't nailed with the charge for leaking the info. Instead, he was charged with obstruction of justice. Since all he was charged with and convicted for was obstructing the investigation into the leak, this means that the Bush administration didn't do anything wrong.

Martaug, you don't obstruct justice unless there is justice to obstruct. The fact that Libby was successful at impeding the investigation into the leak in no way exonerates the Bush administration for it's part in it. The simple fact that Libby was convicted of Obstruction of Justice is a strong indicator that the Bush administration did have something to hide.

4. martaug Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Chandos your argument is nonsense, in fact it sounds almost like the worst republican nonsense you hate - "It doesn't matter if he was guilty of the crime because he had commited other crimes" Circular reasoning anyone.

Drew, scooter was convicted of 4 charges, 2 of which are for the same offense. 1 obstruction of justice & 1 making false statements to a federal investigators, these are the same offense for a federal employee. 2 counts of perjury.

Obstruction of Justice - Generally, obstruction charges are laid when it is discovered that a person questioned in an investigation, who is not a suspect, has lied to the investigating officers. Often, no actual investigation or substantiated suspicion of a specific incident need exist to support a charge of obstruction of justice It is just a way for them to tack on more time to an indictment.

The prosecution knew that richard armitage was the source of the leak but never even charged him with a crime & effectively stopped looking after the libby trial.

5. Chandos the Red

Media:
    The above words are your words - not mine. What I said was, "it did not matter what the crime was because he would have received a pardon, regardless of what he had done. In case you are unaware, GWB commuted Libby's prison sentence. While this is not a pardon, it does mean that Libby will face no jail time for his conviction. Also, Bush has not ruled out a full pardon at this point, since he still has six months to pardon Libby. The judge in the case commented that cummuting Libby's sentence sent a message that "there does not appear to be equal justice if you are someone of importance." Please note, before you go off on one of your rants, that I am paraphrasing. Btw, he was a "Bush" picked judge, before you comment on how there are too many "liberal judges."

Frankly, it's tiresome having to deal with your attempts at rearranging others people's thoughts and ideas to suit your own comments. I'm not sure if it's a tactic of yours to deflect those ideas, or an issue of poor reading comprehension.

6. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Martaug, when coupled with all of the other evidence of wrongdoing on the part of the Bush administration regarding the leak, the conviction becomes all the more suspicious.

7. martaug Gems: 23/31

So now you are saying because someone gets their sentence commuted it means that their is some big conspiracy going to keep people of importance out of jail? Wow, every president we have had in the last 100 years must be evil then as they have all pardoned/commuted sentences for various people.

And your last comment, if said by me to you, would have netted me an infraction from taluntain. However since you said it, it's ok.(just count the times that people have called others apologists in the last week, i got an infraction for it, did they? probably not)
    Chandos, don't raise your voice reinforce your argument.
    We are talking about the fact that there has been NO-ONE charged with the actual crime & the fact that there will be no-one charged for it. The politicians got their scapegoat & the real offender goes free, even though they know who he is(of course, there is some question as to whether or not he knew she was covert)
    Trying to focus on scooter libby's sentence commution is still a dodge to avoid the real issue.

8. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Dude, I crafted this topic and it has nothing to do with Scooter Libby. The real issue is "Iraqi leaders for Omaba." You are the one who needs to focus. And I'm not "raising my voice" as you accuse me of. Sorry if you were offended in anyway. I just wanted to play along with your rant.

But since you wish to "focus" exclusively on SL's guilt, then I suggest you craft a topic to deal with the way in which you want to focus on the particulars of the issue. And stop burning all over my topic, or stop complaning. :)

9. martaug Gems: 23/31

You are taking ALL of the fun out of it now chandos:) I didn't mean the focus of the thread just the focus of the last page or so(LOL). You know that no thread goes in the right direction for long on this board.

10. Chandos the Red

Media:
    Well, we try. ;)

martaug likes this.
  11. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Actually, if I really was out to get you, as you apparently think, I'd give you another infraction here and now for your clueless insinuations about what I would or wouldn't sanction. This is covered in detail in our rule #21, in red - which means that it's one of our most important rules. You are directly violating our rule #20 as well. But because I'm such a nice guy, I'll just let you off with a warning, as I have in numerous cases before. But for your sake, stick to the topic(s) from now on and leave off the side sniping. The factors that we weigh when giving warnings or infractions to anyone go way beyond the mere rule descriptions - among other things, previous offences and the frequency of rule breaking play a large role in them as well. I hope this makes it clearer for you.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.