1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Iraq: Smoking Gun Found...Does It Matter Now?

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Death Rabbit, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nope, in this case the probation officer is the UN, and the coalition is the police officer.

2. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Uhm ... did I miss the UN approving that war? I mean it was a very unsmart move of the US to urge for a second resolution only to skip it when it became obvious that the US and UK wouldn't get a majority.

It is kinda "un-credible" to withdraw then on the point of view that the first resolution had authority enough to go for war. So in this case the UN was not really the probation officer.

3. Blackthorne TA

Blackthorne TA Master in his Own Mind Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    No, see the probation officer is the guy checking on you to make sure you're following the restrictions of your probation; therefore the UN checking on Iraq to make sure they're complying with the resolutions.

The police officer in this case is the coalition who upon seeing the criminal breaking his probation, brings him to justice.

[Edit] Ack! How lame do I feel for having to explain my metaphor? :lol:

[ April 10, 2003, 21:38: Message edited by: Blackthorne TA ]

4. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG]
    Excuse me BTA but i can't understand which probation exactly Saddam broke, or at least the evidence he broke his probation where are they; Did he attacked a country; Don't tell me about human rights violations every country has dirt in this sector. Tell me something about the disarmament violation.

5. Iago Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

Surprise, what surprise ? They knew it all along, it was just not the right time to make a fuss about it.

I.E. some South Koreans and Japanese might think it's offensive, that some other country interferes with their approach on how to deal with North Korea.

Besides, the point is, it's not possible to stop China and India from growing to superpowers. Nor is it possible to avert any country, who reaches that state of development, to research Nuclear Energy. This Research may be used to build Nuclear weapons or to build nuclear powerplants.

It's like chemicals. Are this chemicals for medicine or shampoos, or are the for WMD's. It's pretty hard to decide, because chemical components have usually no say in how they're going to be used.

[ April 11, 2003, 15:55: Message edited by: Yago ]

6. Blackthorne TA

Media:
    Mithrantir - If you believe Iraq was living up to its agreements with the UN, exactly why do you think economic sanctions were imposed on them by the UN?

Yago - No, it was a surprise, because there was a framework under which North Korea agreed not to pursue nuclear weapons technology in return for "safer" technology nuclear reactors and shipments of fuel oil until they were built. Since they made this agreement, and were also part of the nuclear nonproliferation treaty, it was most assuredly a surprise.

By the way, India and Pakistan are not part of the NPT, so they are not under its constraints, and China was a nuclear power before the NPT.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.