1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Insane

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Svyatoslav, Nov 24, 2005.

1. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Hmmm... Hacken Slash's points are valid ones. We don't want offenders to gain celebrity and/or profit from the crime (interviews, meetings, etc) and community service at an animal shelter could be a good enough fitting punishment, anyway.

Hmmm... do we believe her? But the humane society's workers should get a big big fine, should that ever prove true.

2. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

What if sentencing like this was common? Then there wouldn't be the celebrity factor to deal with, would you support it then?

Anyway - I have no idea whether this is a good thing or not :)

3. Sir Fink Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Any celebrity factor a criminal like this would gain would be due to viewers actually giving a crap.

I've always been opposed to these nonsense laws that attempt to prevent a criminal from writing a book about his crimes in order to profit from them. Here's an idea: don't buy the book. Don't watch her on TV. Wow, what a concept. Oh wait, I forgot that most people are weaklings who simply can't resist the urge to buy books written by criminals. Thank God we've got the government to prevent us from doing such things.

4. NOG (No Other Gods)

NOG (No Other Gods) Going to church doesn't make you a Christian

Media:
    Has anyone else noticed that "abandoning" cats on the street, provided they are not de-clawed, is not n the least bit cruel? Cats thrive like this. Just look at Rhode Island. Cats are the only pets people commonly have that are still wild animals. They have never been domesticated, probably never will be, and can take care of themselves just fine in the wild. And before anyone says I just hate cats or something, I love them, have 3 of them, and have spent all but 2 years of my life with cats. Cats are incredible creatures that live with humans for convenience, not necesity.

5. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Cats, yes - they can survive on their own. But she dumped kittens. 40 of them. Most would have froze to death the first night, and the rest would've been picked off by coyotes or whatnot soon after. They wouldn't stand a chance, which is where the line of animal cruelty is crossed.

6. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

NOG,

I make your words my own.

7. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

She was given a CHOISE of staying out in the woods for the night, or to stay in jail for a month. How is that in total disregard of people's inviduality or personal freedom?

I agree with Death Rabbit. This entire thread is an excuse to leftish bashing, and I don't expect anything else from Svy.

8. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Sorry, I hadn't seen the link. Now that I've read it, I think the sentence was fair and just. I would like to know what actually happened with the humane society, but I wouldn't be surprised if she had lied.
    On the surface this seems like a huge leftist 'animal rights' thing that so many of us are sick and tired of, the kind of thing PETA would try and pull, but the details show this was just an inventive sentence.

9. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

Maybe you are right. I did not dig the details, but on the surface this kind of thing is typical leftist crap.
    However, there are people who think "animal rights" and "ambientalism" are not leftist agendas. :rolleyes:

10. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Hey, now that you say it, why don't we allow torture of animals? After all, giving them rights is just leftist agendas and should be dismissed without further information.

:rolleyes: indeed.

11. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    We do allow torture of animals, its called animal testing, and if it saves human lives, or even makes human lives significantly easier, I say go for it. The problem I have is when cosmetics companies test their products on parts of animals the product was never meant to contact (mascara in the eye and blood) with products that (mostly) will only be used by people with so little sense of self that they should be used for animal testing themselves.

12. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

@NOG:
    Oh, hi Jonaleth. :wave: ;)

I can see the rationale for the eye (proof for "WARNING: do not get in eye"), but the blood thing threw me a little bit; why would they do that?

13. Colthrun

Colthrun Walk first in the forest and last in the bog Veteran

@Fel: people get spots, grazes, and cuts in their hands and face from time to time. If you use make-up over a healing wound or a spot, there is a chance of the product seeping into your blood.

So, in your opinion, "the surface" is the only thing that matters to label a group of people, a behaviour, a law, or a way of doing things. The way in which the information is delivered, or the amount of information delivered is not important at all, or is it?. I'd like you to compare these two articles:

The first, from Fox news:
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,176303,00.html

The second, from the Aussie Daily Telegraph:
    http://www.dailytelegraph.news.com.au/story/0,20281,17307085-5001027,00.html

Isn't it curious how Fox does not consider important to mention that the woman will be monitored to make sure she's safe, and doesn't freeze? Or that she had the choice between going to the woods and then to jail, or going to jail for a longer time, and she chose the woods? To me, that makes an important difference to the sentence.

Then again, that sort of information would destroy the potential of this article for cheap, gratuitous propaganda...

14. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Fox alo go out of their way to show that the Judge hands out unusual sentences, implying that the judge is therfore unreliable, instable or anything else you wish to infer from that.

Curious things about this case to me are
    1. As Fel pointed out the 2 parks is strange and does suggest pre-meditated and thereby more criminal behaviour.
    2. She's an 'Animal Rescuer' and therefore one of the lefty activists that Svy was bashing. Irony anyone.

15. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

One tbing worth mentioning is that it is a common belief (justified by data, I'm not sure) that people who abuse animal soften end up abusing humans -- in other words, that animal abuse is a stepping stone to violent behaviour toward humans

16. DarkStrider

DarkStrider I've seen the future and it has seen me Distinguished Member

Animal abuse is part of the triangle of early psychopathic behaviour in developing teenagers, the other parts of the triangle are Arson and bedwetting.

Those who have these tendencies as a child can end up becoming full-blown psychopaths and or sociopaths and go on to become serial rapists/killers or serial killers, usually after some trigger event.

Animal abuse per se is not necessarily a stepping-stone towards violent behaviour of any other kind, but is an almost certain indication that the abuser was an abusee in the past.

17. Svyatoslav Gems: 12/31

No. I meant when I hear this animal rights stuff it screams "leftism" within my head. Of course the surface is not what matters...

18. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now?

:jawdrop: You're kidding me...she should be shot! (With one of those belly cannons so she can't eat for a week; I'm not advocating murder.)

19. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

In terms of medical research, I agree that "Animal Rights" is a load of crap. However, if a human has possession of an animal, I think that both left and right, Liberal and Conservative, Gay or straight, Male or female -- pretty well everyone with a soul would agree that causing that animal physical pain is wrong.

20. NOG (No Other Gods)

Media:
    Fel:
    No, no, no. You have it all wrong. She needs to be beaten over the head many times by thousands of unsharpened pencils. That will teach her!
    Interesting fact that (periferally) relates. Did you know that ~90% of the animals 'rescued' by PETA, often from good homes, zoos, and the like, are euthanized. Aparently Peta thinks its better for them to be dead than to live under proper human supervision.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.