1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

In what situation would you commit suicide.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Khazraj, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Lord Keldin Depaara ... my heart goes out to you, and I'll pray for you earnestly.

Sunday my wife told me that she has already left me, emotionally and mentally, she just won't leave physically because of logistical concerns and what it would do to my daughter.

For the last few days I've been debating the value of a million dollars, and what it would do for my daughter. Harvard maybe?

Lost much sleep, but so far I'm thinking that she'd rather have me.

Hang in there LKD ... I'll do the same!

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Good luck to you both.

3. Jack Funk Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

LKD and Mat,
    Good luck. I will pray for you both.

4. Splunge

Splunge Bhaal’s financial advisor Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    LKD and Math:
    Hang in there, guys. As one who has lost someone (stepfather, 25 years ago) to suicide, believe me - sometimes it may seem like the easy way out for you, but it's hell on the people left behind.

5. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    Yeah, thats right...

Good luck to you two

6. Slith

Slith Look at me! I have Blue Hands! Veteran

Mathetais, LKD, try to hang in with life, it'll get better after a while. Good Luck, the both of you.

7. Mathetais Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere ... just down is all.

Got a hug from a friend today ... and danced for an hour with my daughter. Its the little things.

8. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, Oaz, there are two possibilities: either you would kill yourself after your own death or you yourself don't possess those qualities ;)

LKD, Mat, I am with you. I know how this sounds, but try to keep going.

9. Iago Gems: 24/31

LKD, Math, I think what ever happens, it somehow always goes on.

10. Valkyrie Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I'd never think of committing suicide. To me, its not really solving the problem. I like working things out, and I can always turn to my faith.

11. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    If I ran out of beer, and I had no possible way to get more :p

12. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    In that case you'd need to hurry with a suicide or it would become too late too quickly :D :p

13. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

LKD and Math, though I was never actually married, I feel for you guys. I have a 6 year old son out there whose life I lost 4 and a half years of when his mother left me. Just over a year ago I got contact back and about 3 months ago she refused to let me see him. Man, these last months have been SO hard! Though I never had suicidal thoughts when he was first taken from me (I simply went numb) I have had them since April and every night I cry myself to sleep over him. I don't know what time it is where you guys are now but here it's like half past midnight. I just find it so hard to face that bed each night. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that right now I'm a little suicidal and the two things that have stopped me are these:
    1> the knowledge that if I do go through with it he will most likely never recover (he may because his mother wants me to die and she would probably not tell him) and
    2> a group very few of you would have heard of called Dads In Distress. It's an emotional-support group for guys just like me and like you LKD and Math (if I understand correctly) where we can talk, scream, cry or whatever with the knowledge that every other guy there completely understands and will not judge.

And as for Alcoholism being the leading cause of suicide, that's bull****! Alcoholism is not a cause, it's a symptom. According to a recent study by a University in Brisbane IIRC here in "Orstralia" 4 men commit suicide EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK as a result of marriage breakdown.

Well I guess I'll finish my rant by saying to you LKD and Math that, little consolation though it may be, you are not alone and my thoughts are with you guys. It may not get easier but just know you aren't alone.

Sorry if I got carried away.

*hugs LKD*
    *hugs Math*

14. Eze Gems: 24/31

Let's say, if I was raped, I'd kill the rapist, not myself. Honestly.

And as for suicide, maybe the Veggie thing. Hehe.

Otherwise never, as I exist to annoy you.

15. Death Rabbit

Death Rabbit Straight, no chaser Adored Veteran Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Khazraj said:
    Wow. It's actually pretty comforting for me to read this because I could've written it myself, word for word. I contemplated and even half-assed attempted suicide more than once during my 16th year. It was a very confusing, painful time for me, despite my normal family and upbringing. What can I say...I was just a very sensative kid who didn't know who he was, and hated who he thought he was. I'd convinced myself that I would never be accepted, and worst of all...I would never fall in love. Sounds corny, I know, but I always was a bit of a romantic, even at a young age.

Eventually I weathered the storm that is teenagerdom and began to respect myself and my capabilities. I began to worry less and less about what people thought of me, and focused instead on what I thought about myself. Now I can smile and say I'm a much wiser, albeit happier, 23 year old. In that time, I've put myself through school, experienced the highs and lows of life in America's 3rd largest city, alone, established a very promising career, and yes...I've suckered a girl who's way out of my league into falling head-over-heels in love with me. ;) Swingin'! Swingin' this whole time, I didn't even know it!

Part of why I felt so down is because I felt like no one else in the world felt as crappy as I did. To see something like what Khazraj posted is just a reminder that nothing could be further from the truth.

*plays REM song "Everybody Hurts," breaks out the lighter*

One thing I've learned is this, and I realize it doesn't apply to everyone, but most of us: Misery is optional. You can pull yourself out of any funk if you want to bad enough. I know that sometimes you can take a certain comfort in wallowing in anguish and self-pitty, but at the end of the day, it won't make things any better. Sometimes you have to really wonder if you're not better off without the source of your misery (ex-lovers certainly apply here). You have to do whatever you can to take your mind off whatever it is that's tormenting you, and just move forward. You have a life. Go live it.

16. Gavin de Valge Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I don't think I'd ever commit suicide...anything that might drive me to that would be far more likely to drive me towards vengeance, something I've been struggling with for many years...

And as for disease, I would fight it for as long as I could, and go out fighting. I could also see glorious sacrifice. Otherwise, I would not do it.

17. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

About being better off without the source of misery, in my case that would be ideal - not having to face that creature ever again. The only problem is she's the one who "holds the cards" most of the time. Same probably goes for most guys in a similar situation to mine. Chances are most of you people out there probably personally know someone in a similar situation to myself, LKD and Math, maybe in various degrees of distress. The ideal for a lot of guys would be to not have to face their kids mother again but that's not always possible.

Don't worry, I haven't read any offence into anything and I mean no offence but as far as having a life and going out to live it, for a lot of guys who hit that wall fo relationship breakdown, hell even for a lot of guys in happy relationships, their kids ARE their life and having that taken away in any degree is like a big ol' world of hurt with no way out.

That's when suicide becomes a real option.

And congrats to those of you who have been able to face your personal demons and, however breifly, flirted with suicide but not taken that final step. Know it or not it's that kind of strength that makes true heroes.

edit - Unfortunately, as of today (August 20) it would appear that I very likely may not be back for quite some time as the proverbial has hit the fan badly so I just wanted to take the time to wish you all safety in case I'm not able to be back at all and for anyone interested there is a Dads In Distress site at www.dadsindistress.asn.au

Anyway guys, it's been great and hopefully I will be back at some point in the not too distant future! Apologies for any offence I may have caused or any toes I may have stepped on. :wave:

[ August 19, 2003, 16:28: Message edited by: Aldazar ]

18. iLLusioN' Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

i would commit suicide if there was no chance that id live. serious injury or illness.

19. Aldazar Gems: 24/31

Well, my world has seriously gone out of whack now. Looks like I've lost all chance of knowing my son so maybe it's time for this gunslinger to go into the clearing at the end of the path.

20. Troll Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

[​IMG] Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good Night

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
    Because their words had forked no lightning they
    Do not go gentle into that good night.

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
    Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
    And learn, too late, they grieved it on it's way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight,
    Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,
    Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

-- Dylan Thomas (1914-1953)

[ August 31, 2003, 00:49: Message edited by: Gollem ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.