1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

In what situation would you commit suicide.

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Khazraj, Jul 8, 2003.

1. Lazy Bonzo Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

[​IMG] What many people have replied with appears to be the idea of 'glorious sacrifice' rather than suicide.

I will use the idea of Bruce Willis in Armageddon, what he does is to commit suicide to save the rest of humanity. It is a 'glorious sacrifice' but it is still suicide. I have heard people say that those who commit suicide are cowards. Now back to the Armageddon thing, it would be hard to say that what Willis' character does is cowardice, it is bravery, as well as love. However this is fiction.

From this topic there are three categories (In my mind) -
    • Glorious Sacrifice - saving millions (see above).
    • 'Vegetable' Suicide - paralysed, in a coma (Note: if you were in a coma you couldn't kill yourself) terminal condition, etc.
    • 'Reality' Suicide - A situation has arisen where you no longer have the will to live, you feel you are out of options, there's no one to help you, you feel that the world would be a better place without you, etc.
    There are many who have stated that they would commit suicide in the form of 'Glorious Sacrifice', less in the way of 'Vegetable' Suicide (as I dubbed it), and really only 3 that appear to have been 'Reality' Suicides: Khazraj, 8people, and Velve Zauviir; Sprite in a way but mixed with the 'Vegetable' idea; also those who said they would if sentenced to life in prison (I assume actual life in prison not judicial 25years-ish and out), one would expect that you would try to escape first and only after repeated failures and in desperation would you take your own life (if you have the resolve to commit suicide you, probably, have the resolve to try to escape).

The thing is that unless one has actually experienced the feelings that lead you to attempt to take your own life, or to seriously think about it, or were closely involved with someone who had these feelings (whether successful or not) it is hard to understand these feelings, and often people dub 'suicidees' (is that the correct word?) cowards. One who could not cope with life and didn't deserve to live it. The very point is that the person really couldn't cope, for whatever reason.

Ok semi-rant over. My real point is that situations of 'Glorious Sacrifice' are a) unlikely to occur, and, b) more about how highly you value your own life and if you fear death rather than 'reality' suicide. 'Vegetable' Suicide is more likely to occur, but it would be hard for one who is a 'vegetable' to take their own life, and so they are often forced to have to rely on the kindness of euthanasia. So I would ask that you are a little more serious in your replies, hypothetical situations would do well to leave the realms of fantasy and fiction in the entrance-way.

2. LKD Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

Well, ladies and germs, my marriage is about 1 mm from disintigrating, and while I never would commit suicide, this is about as much pain as I've ever experienced in my life and the concept of suicide has crossed my mind for brief instances.

3. dmc

dmc Speak softly and carry a big briefcase Staff Member Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!)

Media:
    @ LKD - My thoughts and best wishes go out to you in the hopes of salvaging your marriage if it can be done.

4. Rallymama Gems: 31/31

Media:
    Ditto that, LKD. All fingers and toes are crossed for you.

5. LKD Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Thanks guys. I've got no one to talk to and every time I look at my daughters I want to die for fear of not seeing them except on weekends or something stupid like that.

6. Dragon's Jewel Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

LKD--You have the deepest sympathies of the both of us-- and I cannot tell you how much I know how you feel. So I am hoping beyond hope for you.

7. Arabwel

Arabwel Screaming towards Apotheosis Veteran

Media:
    *hugs LKD*

Now, I have been ion mquite a few honestly horrible situations in my life... Being institutionalized, being bullied, having a broken family, and the like. Many a time I have been thinking of ending it all, but yet I haven't... because I am too angry to let "them" win.

Thus, I wiould most likely be likely to commit "Glorioous sacrifice" type of suicide... and possibly "vegetable" type if I knwe that NOTHING would help. Otherwise, it would go to the "I am NOT giving up!" category...
    As for "reality" suicide... I doubt there is anything in my life tright now so important that the loss would make me want to die. My family, perhaps, and my friends,... but again, the "must not let 'them' win" would be in effect.

So, I think the ionly way I'd kill myself would be the glorious sacrifice-type.

8. Mithrantir Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Surely right now i can't imagine myself commiting suicide but i believe that if i was imprisoned for life i would give this solution a serious thought but again i can't say i would most definetely do it

9. Cross Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

If I was to contract some disease, like Alzheimers or something similar, where you can feel (figuratively) your brains turning to mush, then, and only then, would I consider checking out. Pretty much anything can be endured, but to be left a drooling vegetable in the corner is truly horrible to contemplate.

My sincere sympathies. Watching your marriage going to hell must be really, really awful. Hang in there.

10. Troll Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Warning. Gratuitous everything. Please do not read this post if you have sensabilities or are called Mary. ;)

Reasons I would commit suicide...

If I was a man and there was an asteriod heading for Earth and in order to blow it up I had to stay behind on it, I would commit suicide while all my comrades went home to have sex with Liv Tyler.

If I was a woman and had I stole some stuff and killed somebody and was being chased by the cops I would probably invite my best friend for a spin in my convertable and drive us both over a cliff instead of having to explain to the cops (again) that I was simply riding the cotton pony at the time.

If I lived in a Galaxy Far Away and was an over-the-hill Jedi Master with a whiney pupil I would probably let myself be killed so that I would become more powerful than you can possibly imagine (all rights to royalties from new and old adventures included).

If I was pregnant with an Alien(tm) I would throw myself into a vat of molten iron. If I didn't have any molten iron handy, I would probably raise the kid on McDonald's Happy Meals(tm) and it would then die of a heart attack before it had a chance to reproduce. I know that I too may develope a fat ass in the process, but I could then join in with the Fat People versus McDonald's class action suit (No kidding, that is real) and sue for enough money to buy some molten iron.

If the little Alien's in-laws attacked Earth because of what I did to one of their own, (and the fact that they thought the cotten pony joke was waaay out of line), then I would probably save Earth (again) by learning how to fly a plane and then by crashing it into one of the Alien's biggest bases. (I'm referring to the movie Independance Day. Irony. Leave me alone.)

If I was involved in Jungle Warfare, and the troups were running away, sorry I mean retreating, from a vastly superior force, and I tripped up and sprained my ankle, I would say 'Go on without me, leave me, save yourselves'. When the enemy approached I would hide and let them keep on going after those other selfish bastards.

If I was ever caught dancing to my Avril Lavigne CD, then I would have to take the honourable way out. 'He was a skater-boy (tm), who wrote all his own songs, and wasn't superficial at auh-hau-hall'.

Kill the personality, and kill it often, and let a new, better, different one arise from the ashes of the old. If anyone becomes tired of playing in this life, then their character has probably not initiated all the side quests along the way. They should load a new personality and start again.

A Suicide attempt is often a cry for attention. The attempt is often positively reinforced (ie. rewarded) by actually succeeding in gaining the attemptee a huge amount of attention, which acts as a spur for the attemptee to attempt suicide again. They should instead be educated in other ways of gaining attention, like acting, singing, stripping and as a last resort politics.

In my mind, suicide only occurs when the the victim had a choice. In the case of a Glorious Sacrifice, for a Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic Good person, there is no choice, only duty to humanity.

Vegetable Sacrifice occurs to end the suffering of the carers, not the Vegetable who is slowly becoming unaware of their surroundings. In a way it is a Glorius Sacrifice on a relatively microscopic scale.

I smoke. I drink. I act aggressively towards strangers. I drive too fast and without a seatbelt. I am completely self-destructive. But tommorow I can be someone else if I want. While I have that choice, suicide is pointless. When/If that choice was removed, then 'I will not go softly into that dark night' (More Independance Day, could someone who knows where that line is from post that poem in full or link to it in this thread for discussions sake). Maybe I'll do something tantamount to killing myself, but I won't be going to Valhalla without a fight, or McDonalds(tm) for that matter.

[ July 14, 2003, 09:21: Message edited by: Divel ]

11. Icingdeath45 Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I never would...ever

12. Nobleman Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

Over my dead body!

13. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

When no one with proper grammatical and punctuational skills in the world is left. :p

Okay, better put something serious as is appropriate, otherwise I get my behind smote by the administrator upstairs. I think the saying, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem," is more or less accurate. But I won't say for sure; how easy is it for us CRPG-playing (countless deaths in 'em) teenagers to fathom life and death?

14. Khazraj Gems: 20/31
    Latest gem: Garnet

I had no idea that the topic would generate what it has.

I contemplated suicide when I was about 18 for a long time. My family was worried about me.

I am now glad that I didn't because it was immaturity and lack of social skills that got me into the problems. Such an introvert!

Now I don't think that I need worry about it because I have a life to live and people to love.

Lazy Bonzo. I mean sensible as "being sensible and fully aware (having sense)", not idiotic. I don't think that at the time that I was, I was truly sensible.

Still I'd consider it if I was raped, perhaps only consider it...

15. Aikanaro Gems: 31/31

Possibly if all had gone to hell and everything is as screwed as it gets. Though glorius sacrifice might work if your going to die anyway.

But then, I probably won't get into such a situation, and if I did I probably wouldn't commit suicide anyway.

16. Morgoth

Morgoth La lune ne garde aucune rancune Veteran

Media:
    When I can no longer life proudly

[ August 30, 2003, 22:11: Message edited by: Morgoth ]

17. Nocturnal Nomad Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

When I had some sort of terminal illness, like cancer. I've been very close to that in the last past years and I really don't want to go like that. You end up at a stage where you wouldn't be able to do anything yourself and was relying on the nurse to wash you and other things. If I got that far, I wouldn't be able to live with myself.

18. Duryn Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Honestly, it would'nt take much to get me to do it. I've slit my wrists before, and all it did was make me lose blood, which was pretty disappointing. I've tried to find the fastest way to get in and up to the roof of the tallest building in town, which might not even be tall enough to kill me. I've tried to die of boredom, and lets just say I am NEVER doing that again.

But one day I was thinking deeply, and I realized that there was still one, and only one reason to stay alive: my friends. I don't care about any family members except for my little brother and sister, and other than that its my dogs and my friends. I figured if I die it might make them feel bad or depressed, and then where would I be. The whole point of me commiting suicide was so that I could get out of everyone's life so they would not have to deal with me. This really was a mindset-changing thought, especially since I love my friends more than anything else, and would die for anyone of them in a heartbeat.

As for three most said ideas, of course I would commit suicide then. I would commit suicide over less than that. But the one thing I would not do it for is for pity or attention. I think that is just stupid.

19. Tigress Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

I don't think I'll ever commit suicide because i feel that you can always find a reason to live.

20. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Nothing would get me that far. I would keep up with the troubles I'd have, possibly inspiring others to do the same. Like Tigress said, I will always find a reason to live. Until now that's faith, and probably always will be.
    Btw: I can't give life to myself or others, so I'm not taking it either.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.