1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

In the Mind of the Indecisive

Discussion in 'BoM Blogs' started by Vorona, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

First of all, with my renewed hope in actually returning to my resolution, I'm planning to do yoga on Saturdays and Sundays, and I think it would help to have a place to post my progress, to help with accountability. That's not all that indecisive though; in fact, it's pretty decisive.

The indecision comes from this: I bought Windows 7 and put it on my Mac via Boot Camp. This means that a lot of games that were previously inaccessible (due to either graphics constraints on my PC or OS constraints on my Mac) are now very accessible. I also never figured out how to use mods on my Mac (and deliberately chose not to on my PC). Most of the games I already had but just couldn't play for one reason or another.

So, now, I don't know what game to play! But I've started a lot of them, and here are my thoughts so far:

Baldur's Gate (original): Still doesn't let me create a multiplayer game. I don't know why. I had originally thought it was a Mac problem, but it doesn't work with Windows either, so it must be a hardware issue. I can do it on my old PC. Both are connected to the internet on the same wireless network. *shrugs* I guess it's EE on Mac if I want to play a multiplayer game.

Dragon Age: Origins: I'm in the middle of a game on the Mac. Since this is the only game I've ever actually finished, I kind of want to finish a second game. I also want to get in the habit of finishing games I've started. But I think it will be awhile before I actually do finish. I'm also very curious about mods -- especially the one that puts a chest in your camp. I didn't realize how much of a pain it is to keep going to Soldier's Keep (because in the last game, I didn't know I *had* Soldier's Keep, and I couldn't download it for Mac -- good thing, since I did have it).

Dragon Age II: I was really frustrated the first time I tried playing this game that I gave up pretty early. Part of the problem, though, was that I had bought it in French so that I could practice my French. I thought maybe it was at least partly the language that caused my frustration. True, there are the random fights that are all the same, that get very tedious. But I also think I missed out on some of the better parts of the game (interactions with NPCs) due to language. Yes, I understood the words, but I might have missed the nuances. So I want to give it another shot. In English. When I downloaded it again to my PC-on-Mac, I chose the English language.

Planescape: Torment: All the news on the new Torment: Tides of Numenera has made me rethink this game. I bought it from GoG ages ago, but it was along with several other games, so I never actually played it. I started playing it the other night, and I really like it. I particularly like the fact that it's not going to be as combat heavy and will be more connected to words. I also like all the text, since, by nature, I love to read.

The Witcher: Having the same problem I had on my old PC. I had thought it was a graphics problem, but I guess not. I'll have to look into Tech support.

Skyrim: This is the only game I've actually bought, since by the time I was looking at it, I knew about my PC's graphics problem and it doesn't have a Mac version. So in some ways, this was one of the main reasons for doing this -- all the reviews sounded so good. So far, though, it's not working for me. I can't figure out the controls at all. As others have done, I screwed up at the first jump. I'm going to look at the video someone here linked to about it. I also find the first person view very difficult. This is something I think I should probably eventually try to "get", but for the moment, it's pretty frustrating. I had the same problem when I tried out Morrowind on my old PC -- I couldn't get into it because I couldn't really figure out where I actually was. I had seen somewhere (can't remember where) that in Skyrim, you could change it to a third person view, but I haven't figured out how to do that, so I'm wondering if I misunderstood. My friend says that she has the same problem with third person view, so I figure it is something I can learn to get used to. Right now, though, other games (Dragon Age and Torment) seem much more appealing. On the other hand, a lot of my students play Skyrim, so it might be a good thing to play in order to connect with them better.

I also have GoG versions of Neverwinter Nights and Icewind Dale. I couldn't figure out the camera in Neverwinter Nights, and I've heard that Icewind Dale is really combat-heavy. So, those are at the bottom of the list.

I'm not sure that writing it out helped with my decision. I think it may actually have made it worse, since before posting, I was pretty sure I was choosing between Origins and Torment, but now the Witcher and Skyrim look like more viable options -- particularly if I figure out why I can't seem to start The Witcher. Oh well, we'll see. Thanks for listening to me ramble!

2. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I've been playing a lot of skyrim and I enjoy it immensely.

3. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

I did figure out how to get to the keep and out of Helgem. I also was able to get it to a third person view -- the mouse wheel didn't work earlier in the game, but once my hands were untied, it let me. I am still really bad at targeting, and in general, I find the combat frustrating. I also can't seem to get the healing spell to work. I click the correct mouse button, but all that happens is that my character's hand moves and shines a little -- as if she can't really cast the spell. Maybe I don't have enough Magicka? But that seems odd since it's a first level spell. A first-level character should have enough, right? I tried Googling the problem, but all I got were specific weird characters (healing thralls, healing as a vampire, etc.). Oh well, now I'm rambling again!

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Well we solved that healing problem in chat :) Let me know if it worked out for you.

5. Vorona

Vorona Shadow-Whisperer

Yep. We'll see. I started a new character because I missed some things in the beginning :).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.