1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Improved Anvil v3.0 released!

Discussion in 'BG2: Throne of Bhaal (Classic)' started by Sikret, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Silverstar Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Veteran

2. Sikret Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

@Marvin^42
    I blocked that cheesy way of gaining easy experience points and added your name to the 'credits' section of the readme file.

@Lionheart
    Thank you.

@Silverstar
    Rest assured! :)

3. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31
    Latest gem: Sunstone

Sweetness! This will not be forgotten. Myabe I can tinker around and find more stuff worth looking at :)
    Can't wait to actually start playing IA. I'm bored in Underdark in my game now :s

Edit: BTW, how did you stop that? This is an interesting topic :) I imagine making the fiend ignore Protection from Evil if attacked.

4. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

I think he rather changed the CRE file so the summoned fiend does not give out XP when killed?

Fiends are supposed to be weak against Pro From Evil anyway, it is AD&D rule, I do not think Sikret had a reason to change that yet...

5. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Yes, I did it the way Silverstar said.

And yes, please do think about more other things which may need corrections.

Cheers

6. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31

I don't know the mechanics of the game, but I see three possibilities for how the spell works:

1. The spell summons a generic fiend, and you've changed all BG2 fiends to give 0xp. (I have no idea if you ever encounter a fiend not summonened by a mage in combat)

2. The spell summons a specific monster, "Summoned Fiend", and you've given that monster 0xp. Any generic fiends waiting around the world still awards xp, but not fiends summoned by hostile mages.

3. The spell summons a specific monster, "Player Summonend Fiend", and you've given that monster 0xp. Any fiends summoned by hostile mages ("NPC-Summoned Fiend") and any generic fiends still give xp.

I don't know if there are any fiends waiting around for you, and I don't know if fiends summoned by hostile mages should give xp. Now that I consider it again, fiends summoned by you shouldn't give xp, since it's exploitable, but fiends summoned by enemies should, since you overcome them in combat, using wits etc (even though it's way too easy with a protection from evil 10'). How did you do this?

Edit: As mentioned, I haven't played IA yet, but I read the readme. I didn't see anything about copying spells to spell book. I always found it a bit cheap that a newly created level 7 or so mage can copy even the highest level scrolls, based only on the %chance. Shouldn't there be some kind of block there? Something like "the spells are too complicated for such a low-level mage to copy+paste"? Learning a spell 3-4 levels higher than the highest I can cast feels wrong. This would also slow down the cheesy-ness of dual-classing to mage and getting tons of xp by learning scrolls.

7. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Nah, summoned allies by an enemy mage should not give XP when you kill them. Because, they are allready a part of, let's say, the extension of the mage's power, and you get the full XP when you kill the mage allready!

I think summoned Fiends and other, free-roaming fiends in the game uses different CRE files, (so the summoned one can have a timer) but I am not sure.

8. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31

Of course, should've realised that.
    Any comment on the spell scrolls? Should a level 1 mage be able to learn a level 9 spell?

9. Drew

Drew Arrogant, contemptible, and obnoxious Adored Veteran

Media:
    Ding0's experience fixer does this one just fine.

10. Sikret Gems: 13/31

No.2 is the answer.
    Well, even in pnp AD&D you can copy scrolls higher than your casting level, though you receive some penalty to the percentage or chance of learning the spell correctly. In BG2, you can learn high level spells too. Otherwise, there would make little sense to be a wild mage. One of wild mage's main advantages is that he can cast spells directly from his spellbook.
    When you are playing IA, extra scrolls are best be kept to be used during battles. It's much more beneficial for you than erasing the spell from your spellbook and copying it again. Furthermore, money is of utmost importance while playing IA. You cannot use any of the old cheesy methods of gaining easy money, remember?

Now, if you have, let's say, 3 scrolls of an 8th level spell (Say, Abi Dalzim's Horrid Wilting), there are three things you can do with these scrolls:

1- You copy one of them and sell the other two for the money which is badly needed.

2- You copy one of them and keep the other two to be used against the tough enemies during the improved battles. (This is the best choice, IMO)

3- You copy one of them, then you go for the cheesy line of erasing it and copying the other two scrolls of the same spell.

The third option is surely a cheap and cheesy one, but it's not necessarily the most beneficial one. Those two additional scrolls can save your skin during a battle if you do not consume them for 16000 xp.

Therefore, I think that it's better to leave the choice to the player to decide what to do with his/her extra scrolls. There is no need to worry about the cheesiness of the third option in this case, because this sort of cheesiness is not actually beneficial for the player.

@Silverstar
    Yes, summoned fiends' CRE files are different from those of generic fiends.

11. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Well, IIRC, scrolls are casted at level 10? So an ADHW scroll does 10d8 damage? With a save vs spell (in all likelihood, when you face improved enemies!) for 5d8. If the enemy also has Cloak of Cheese, cut the 5d8 dmg in half too. :( Not very efficient and there you waste a precious ADHW scroll! :sosad:

Ofcourse, if you use scrolls via Project Image.... :toofar: NO NO NO this is cheesy and evil and it actually degrades the fun of the game! :nono: Can you do something about it Sikret? I do not want to be tempted to use a Time Stop scroll via my PI and all...

I will add another option for spare scrolls: Save the scroll for other mages to learn, instead! Valuable scrolls such as ADHW are hard to come by! And you can not have too many mages in your party, and AFAIK, at least two good mages are needed to survive IA easily. There is much debuffing/killing/disabling to be done!

12. Sikret Gems: 13/31

Yes, scrolls are cast at level 10, but ADHW spell inflicts a minimum of 16d8 magic damage (8d8 if the enemy saves vs. spell) even if cast at any casting level below 17, regardless.

It was just an example. I wanted to say that keeping the scrolls to use them or even selling them is better than erasing the spells and re-writing them in the spellbook repeatedly (replace the example with "Protection from Magical Weapons" or "Death Spell" or "Spell Immunity" scrolls if they are better examples to convey my point). But yes, if a second mage is in the party and has not the spell in the spellbook, it would be a different matter.

I will think about the PI issue.

13. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

Yes, I know what you mean. Extra scrolls of PfMW and Spell Immunities are real life savers when you are in deep trouble! :thumb:

14. CamDawg

CamDawg The gaze of the Wolf reaches into our soul Veteran

BG2 Tweaks has a component that lets you cast from scrolls at your character level rather than at level 10.

15. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

^Ah, yes you are right, I know it. I haven't installed that component though. Didn't want to make my game easier. :good:

16. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31

Keep in mind I'm playing unmodded, only Bioware patch installed.
    I'm fighting drows in the Underdark, and I killed a summoned Nishruu, which awarded me 1000 xp. I know it's not much, but it's against the "summons are a part of a mage's power", which I agree with. Have you done anything about this in IA?
    I just noticed their summoned skeletons give xp too, if only 150.

Edit: I want to report that I HATE Mind Flayers. Damn things stun and kill Minsc and Jaheira at once, they resist my spells, only working tactic is Improved Power Word: Reload. I dread the improved Mind Flayers :s

17. Sikret Gems: 13/31

One of the two things can be done about Nishruu: Either changing its script to ensure that once you attack your own summoned Nishruu, it will turn to enemy and will attack you OR omitting the XP value you gain for killing it. Tell me your opinion: Which one is better and why?

18. Silverstar Gems: 31/31

Veteran

@Marvin^42

You hate mind flayers, then you should see improved mind flayers:they use all of their PnP psionic powers, without restrcition:funny things like disintegrate, drain life, heal, ballistic attacks to knock back you, big bad explosions, psionic drains (which causes the afflicted victim to commit suicide) etc. plus they now see through invisibility and can dimension door at will to the enemy! :evil: Real fun!

Back to topic...

Nishruus summoned by a mage should not give out XP, like all other summons; but I am not sure if there are seperate CRE files for summoned and wild Nishruus. Wait a minute, were there wild Nishruus in the game? (a trap used to summon one in Guarded Compound IIRC) :hmm:

19. Marvin^42 Gems: 4/31

Actually, I'd like to see both. 0 xp due to it being part of the hostile casters power and killing the caster gives xp already. Well, the turn hostile part depends on the rulebooks. How strong is the summoners control over the monsters? Can he control them even as he attacks it? If so, it should not turn hostile, but still give 0xp. Unless someone with more of a clue says "you should be able to summon monsters, attack them (and they turn hostile) for xp".

20. Sikret Gems: 13/31

The trap in Guarded Compound casts the same Summon Nishruu spell as if cast by an enemy. Hence, it is the same cre file. In fact, there is no separate Nishruu cre file in the game.

I will think about the Nishruu case a bit more and will tweak/fix it.

PS: Improved Anvil doesn't improve Mind Flayers in general (though the illithid hideout in sewers is improved).

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.