1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm still a little confused about American politics.

Discussion in 'Alley of Lingering Sighs' started by Dice, Dec 5, 2022.

1. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    Why are Republicans still backing Trump despite the fact that he openly suggested they ditch the constitution? What about his close friendship with bipolar Kanye West (ye), who openly admits to loving Hitler? What about the fact that Donny's company has just been convicted of fraud? What about the fact that he's trying to free the Jan 6th rioters even while he himself is being investigated for inciting the insurrection? Are these the values of the Republican party? Why don't republicans just present another candidate and wash this idiot out of their hair?

Last edited: Dec 7, 2022
  2. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    I have been asking the same questions. I don't understand politics either, but then again, I couldn't understand him being elected in the first place.
    He represented the type of authority I hate. The "do as I say, not as I do" and "Rules are for lessor people. Those rules don't apply to me because I'm in charge" type of person. That and the type of Authorities that feel free to insult their subordinates but can't handle being insulted in return.

3. Beren

Beren Lovesick and Lonely Wanderer Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    I would suggest that there's enough xenophobic elements in American society who want the wall to keep the "wetbacks" out, and want a return to full segregation, or even genocide, that what everybody else sees as appalling reasons never to touch him as a leader they'll instead spin into a "courageous" willingness to bring about the pure utopia they dream of.

I realize nowhere close to all Americans believe that nonsense. But I do believe there's just enough of that intolerant xenophobia in some segments of American society that will valorize somebody like Trump as someone who can return them to the promised land.

4. Dice

Dice ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I think the political tides are changing with the new generations who are now able to vote and also concerned about their future. Old fashion and constricting religious and conservative values don't have the same hold that they used to. Xenophobic values aside, they are messing up in their own back yards and instead of cleaning, they're just hiding behind the trash. I believe all these lawsuits that are convicting Republican people but skirting around old Donny are just a foundation to really trap that traitor once and for all.

5. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    As an attorney, I hesitated to forward this as it can be considered to be an indictment against my profession. But I believe there is much truth to the article below. Very thought provoking. Lawyers are adversarial and are trained to try to win at all costs. It may work in litigation but does not work well when governing our nation. Trying to win at any costs creates the polarization and hatred that now fills our country and leaves no room for common sense or legitimate debate.

Every Democrat presidential nominee since 1984 went to law school, although Gore did not graduate. Joe Biden (no surprise) was at the bottom of his class. Every Democrat vice presidential nominee since 1976, except for Lloyd Bentsen, went to law school. Barack Obama was a lawyer. Michelle Obama was a lawyer. Hillary Clinton was a lawyer. Bill Clinton was a lawyer. John Edwards is a lawyer. Elizabeth Edwards was a lawyer. Look at leaders of the Democrat Party in Congress: Senate majority leader Chuck Schumer is a lawyer. Former Senator Harry Reid was a lawyer.

The Republican Party is different. President Trump was a businessman. Presidents Bush 1 and 2 were businessmen. Vice President Cheney was a businessman. President Eisenhower was a 5 star General. The leaders of the Republican Revolution: Newt Gingrich was a history professor. Tom Delay was an exterminator. Dick Armey was an economist. Ex-House Minority Leader John Boehner was a plastics manufacturer. The former Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist is a heart surgeon. Who was the last Republican president who was a lawyer? Gerald Ford, who left office 31 years ago and who barely won the Republican nomination as a sitting president, running against actor Ronald Reagan in 1976. The Republican Party is made up of real people doing real work, who are often the targets of lawyers. This is very interesting. I had never thought about it this way before.

The Democrat Party is made up of lawyers. Democrats mock and scorn men who create wealth, like Trump, Bush, and Cheney, or who heal the sick like Frist, or who immerse themselves in history like Gingrich. The Lawyers Party sees these sorts of people, who provide goods and services that people want, as the enemies of America. And so, in the eyes of the Lawyers Party, we have seen the procession of official enemies grow. Against whom do Hillary and Obama rail? Pharmaceutical companies, oil companies, hospitals, manufacturers, fast food restaurant chains, large retail businesses, bankers, and anyone producing anything of value in our nation.

This is the natural consequence of viewing everything through the eyes of lawyers. Lawyers solve problems by successfully representing their clients, which, in this case should be the American people. Lawyers seek to have new laws passed, they seek to win lawsuits, they press appellate courts to overturn precedent, and lawyers always parse language to favor their side. Confined to the narrow practice of law, that is fine. But it is an awful way to govern a great nation.

When politicians, as lawyers, begin to view some Americans as clients and other Americans as opposing parties, then the role of the legal system in our life becomes all-consuming. Some Americans become adverse parties of our very government. We are not all litigants in some vast social class-action suit. We are citizens of a republic that promises us a great deal of freedom from laws, from courts, and from lawyers.

Today, we are drowning in laws. We are contorted by judicial decisions. We are driven to distraction by omnipresent lawyers in all parts of our once private lives. America has a place for laws and lawyers, but that place is modest and reasonable, not vast and unchecked. When the most important decision for our next president is whom he will appoint to the Supreme Court, the role of lawyers and the law in America is too big. When House Democrats sue America in order to hamstring our efforts to learn what our enemies are planning to do to us, then the role of litigation in America has become crushing.

Perhaps Americans will understand that change cannot be brought to our nation by those lawyers who already largely dictate American society and business. Perhaps Americans will see that hope does not come from the mouths of lawyers but from personal dreams nourished by hard work. Perhaps Americans will embrace the truth that more lawyers with more power will only make our problems worse.

The United States has 5% of the world's population and 66% of the world's lawyers! Tort or legal reform legislation has been introduced in congress several times in the last several years to limit punitive damages in ridiculous lawsuits such as spilling hot coffee on yourself and suing the establishment that sold it to you and also to limit punitive damages in huge medical malpractice lawsuits. This legislation has been blocked from even being voted on by the Democrat Party. When you see that 97% of the political contributions from the American Trial Lawyers Association go to the Democrat Party, then you realize who is responsible for our medical and product costs being so high.

YOU MIGHT WANT TO CONSIDER FORWARDING THIS :beer: Hope that sheds some light on the subject :p

6. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    The problem is that rich corporate fat cats like Trump are hardly going to look out for the interests of workers, poor people and the general masses. They'll protect the interests of Big Business and other wealthy fat cats.
    If the businessmen were not all super wealthy and often inherited their wealth (like Trump) rather than starting from poor backgrounds, I might say they could relate. However wealthy businessmen from wealthy families tend to have very different views on things than working stiffs.

This is why I don't understand why people tend to vote for wealthy businessmen. Where are the candidates from humble backgrounds? Where are the working stiffs who went into politics trying to pass laws for ordinary people instead of corporate fat cats or lawyers?
    Why do we rarely hear about that above the State Legislature level, and never as a candidate for President that was a former truck driver, janitor, school teacher, farmer, or a middle class office worker? Somebody who has to worry about their finances for most of their life?

Part of it is the campaign finance system. The fat cats will make campaign contributions to the candidates that will support their efforts, and the ones that say they want to look out for the common people at the expense of Big Business tend to have a hard time raising money for their campaigns. Recall that 1% of the population owns more than 1/3 of the wealth, and the next 19% own more than 50% of the wealth, while 80% of the population owns less than 14% of the wealth in America.
    So the poor masses can't afford to finance their candidates.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
  7. Keneth Gems: 29/31

★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    American politics in a nutshell:

[​IMG]

I'd laugh, but it's honestly not much better in our country. The fact is that right-wing politicians only need to say a few buzzwords that spark people's xenophobia and hatred and a large chunk of the population is instantly sold. Plus, on top of that, you've got major religions exacerbating the problem. For most voters it's not about doing what's best for the people in the country, it's just doing what's worst for the people they don't like, regardless of what happens to them in the process. It's a sad world we live in...

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Ah yes, for everything that's wrong in the US, it's the fault of the other side, who is the real enemy of the people. And Trump is a hard-working honest businessman, a real man of the people, down in the trenches with the working class. :shake:

9. Sorvo

Sorvo Where's the nearest pub? Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    I don't believe in either side, I just put that up to show true colors. If I had my way it would be an Independent party with a little of each class but as the Simpsons have taught us voting for that is just like throwing your vote away :beer:

10. SlickRCBD Gems: 29/31

Media:
    There are the Libertarian and Green parties on the ballots, but they never seem to get more than a local seat and maybe a seat in the State legislature.
    Part of the problem is that people have it ingrained that voting anything but Democrat or Republican is a wasted vote, so they go with the two embedded parties.
    I think the one thing the two parties can agree on is a campaign to say that a vote for a third party is a wasted vote, so they can keep it a "Us or Them" thing.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2023
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.