1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm So Tired of Bad Writers...

Discussion in 'Booktalk' started by The Fat Egg, Jul 28, 2001.

1. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

[​IMG] i am so tired of bad writers like tom phillip athans, and the like, their writing just makes me wanna start screaming obsenities at the top of my lungs out of my car window while driving to work, and their oustoundingly bad use of the english language has driven me to tears. what are your thoughts about idiot writers like phillip athans? (and i hope that they are very very negative!) :mad:

2. Divine Shadow Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

[​IMG] There is one thing that can ruin any book:
    Villain genocide. No matter how good the bad guys armies are, they are always slaugthered by very few good guys. The worst so far has to be dune. For some reason the inhabitants of the planet can kill enourmous armies of
    the best of the best of the best.
    I they just had given some kind of explanation to why they are so awesome in combat...but no. The worst thing is that the descriptions of this people is totally against it. We learn that they don't get combat training untill they are adults.
    They can't even fight without their weapons.
    An army of bad guy elites are destroyed by
    children and elders. The main bad guy is assasinated by a four year old child.
    ARRRRRRRRRRR! :mad

3. Vermillion Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Phillip Athans? Well after reading one of his 'books' i did wonder what possessed someone to let him near any sort of writing material. Shows that some people just don't care about what gets published as long as it'll get them money. Ban his books worldwide and never let him near anything to write with ever again :D.

4. ayecapitan Guest

Bring me some insight, what did he write, so I never take his books in my hands :)

5. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2017
  6. Erran Gems: 19/31
    Latest gem: Aquamarine

[​IMG] So become a DM and write stuff the way it should be written. Then get immediate feedback from your 'readers' as to what they think of your stories as they read/live them.

7. ayecapitan Guest

[​IMG] Would it not be good for us to post stories of our characters' adventures somewhere here on the boards?

8. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I will agree that there are some very crummy writers out there that can make your life hell if you read the.

Divine Shadow; Frank Herbert didn't mention this in his book but if you read the colabarations by his son and Kevan J. Anderson you find some fery waky reasons as to why the people of Dune fight so well.

9. Alyr Arkhon Gems: 10/31
    Latest gem: Zircon

I think that The Avatar trilogy was the worst fantasy text I've ever red. And I haven't met with a really good Dungeons and dragons book yet. (Though I used to read a lot of fantasy

10. The Fat Egg Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

the only truely good dnd books are written by either greenwood or vallese, the rest of the dnd writers (especially athans) are the human equivalent of the scum found at the bottom of a highly polluted river.

11. Skedaddle Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Only? I don't think Greenwood's that good as a storyteller, while he suren knows how to make a plot. ;)
    Among FR literature Salvatore's books are just wonderful in both aspects - story and telling. Cleric Quintet's my personal favorite. I like Elaine Cunningham's style too.

12. Shralp Gems: 18/31
    Latest gem: Horn Coral

Veteran

Couldn't resist adding my 2-cents:

As a fellow with an MA in English, I didn't expect to like ANY of the swords-and-sorcery books after Tolkien.

The Shanara series -- crap. Boring plot, average writing. I quit part-way through book two.
    The Sword series by Frank something -- ditto, but with a slightly more interesting plot.
    Raymond Feist "Magician" trilogy -- Better plot, interesting magic system made me keep reading.

Yadda yadda yadda. I'd give more in-depth recounts, but it's been a while since I read any of those.

Then I picked up Weis and Hickman's first series (Forgotten Realms, I think -- the one with Tasslehoff Burfoot). Great stuff! They managed to have something with interesting characters, humor, a good plot, etc. Ditto with R.A. Salvatore's Drizzt books. Robert Jordan's series is interesting, but I may have to strangle the man if he doesn't make some plot advances. It should have been a trilogy.

The best I've read lately is George Miller's Song of Ice and Fire. Highly recommended for its unexpected plot twists, character development, and imagination.

13. gnollgus Gems: 1/31
    Latest gem: Turquoise

Weis and Hickman, that's Dragonlance, probably my favourite series of books. i stopped reading most D & D books a while ago, they were so bloody sugar sweet. the Birthright novels were good, very gritty and harsh. Against the Giants surprised me, it was actually a book for adults, instead of the usual teen aimed stuff.
    The novels that accompanied the CRPG's Planescape and the BG series were utter trash!! I know this has already been stated, but I picked up the Planescape: Torment novel, after playing the most in depth RPG story, and it didn't even skim the surface. A novel is planned for Neverwinter nights, will it be more of the same?
    As for good Authors, David Gemmell is King. It is not high fantasy, but his heroes are people, who are in real danger. They aren't demigods or chosen of gods or some such garbage, that destroy an army of demons, then have some breakfast and a few jokes.
    but I suppose it all depends on what you like...

14. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] The NWN book is supposed to be an anthology. We can only hope some authors that know how to write will contribute...

15. gnollgus Gems: 1/31

[​IMG] I found this lovely piece of info in the news section...
    ...We're looking to hide some items within the game world that you would only normally find by reading the Forgotten Realms book "Neverwinter Nights" by Phillip Athens....
    Doesn't bode well...
    My little brother just got a job at Wizards Australia, maybe he can tell them how bad the CRPG novels have been.

16. Taluntain

Media:
    He must be bad if they can't even spell his name right. :p
    Or maybe it was on purpose. :D

Anyway, if it's an anthology, Athans will only compile it, like with the other Realms Anthologies. Would be nice to get an official word about it though. Anyone know anyone at the book department at WOTC?

17. gnollgus Gems: 1/31

Found out off my brother, Athans is a contributer, along with a host of other writers, some of them quite good.

18. Taluntain

Media:
    Ah, excellent. Hopefully his part will be as small as possible.

19. Azirath Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

Hopefully, it would be nice if Athans did not contribute at all, I read his books only because they were written after one of my fav games, but found them to be the calibur of books you find in the kids section at your local library.

20. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I picked up the baulders gate 1 book by him at my book store and didnt buyit for two reasons the first being that I dont like reading a book for the first time when I already know the plot. Second the second was because I read the last page of the book where you lean on you sword to kill him thus learning that the book didn't evan continue on the game.
    After that I decided that I wouldent by the book.
    From the coments here Im glad I din't waist my money on a bad book.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.