1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm Going back In!

Discussion in 'Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor' started by ToddMcF2002, Mar 3, 2006.

1. Thrasher91604

Thrasher91604 For those who know ...

SPOILERS BELOW .......

Yes that room was a huge challenge! But if I remember correctly my Cleric/Paladin was able to turn those lichs. I may be mistaken, but those lichs that spawn outside the door and trap you inside don't all have phylacteries. Control undead some of the Mohrgs, turn some of the lichs, have the Mohrgs fight the others, and then concentrate your melee attacks on the lichs. There's some luck involved if I remember correctly....

BTW, one of the best weapons in the game is your reward!

2. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31
    Latest gem: Jasper

More games should utilize the Lich. They are a subquest all on their own.

I like the idea of yet another power weapon, but have you noticed you get a ton of epic stuff in this game? The +6 Strength +10 to hit +10 Damage 5% Arcane Failure Holy Flame Thrower of Justice? LOL ;) I'll take it!

3. Thrasher91604

Yep, it gets amazingly over the top. LOL. After a while you start packing away +4 weapons because of all the better stuff you find.... But there are enemies that actually are hard to beat without the uber weapons, so you're not totally overpowered.

I think the weapon in this particular crypt has some fantastic stat bonuses and to hit bonuses as well.

4. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I have no doubt. I'm literally tossing away +2 plate mail and leather armour and any weapon under a +3. My dwarf has the -267 pound ring but I've still got so many magic items I'm still leaving a trail.

I used to leave map markers saying "huge treasure dump here..." or "get rich quick here" LOL. Now I don't bother.

Those Lich's are goin' down tonight ;)

5. Thrasher91604

LOL. Yeah, after a while the encumbrance reducing items are still not enough to keep everything you might use.

I recommend picking up an NPC just as a pack mule. That way you don't have to decide what to keep and what to discard. Unlike BG, over-encumbrance only matters in combat, there's no movement restrictions otherwise.

Only add the NPC to your party when you want to store stuff, then remove him while you go exploring. Before you transition to another area, go back to him and have him rejoin, otherwise he return's to Nottle's (or wherever) minus all the stuff, and none the richer. Go figure. :rolleyes:

I REALLY dislike choosing between inventory items because of encumbrance. This approach makes it so you don't have to decide on what to lose permanently. Except for backtracking to the mule, it's less of a hassle. Of course, drop and forget is the easiest, until you find out you actually needed it. :eek:

[ March 10, 2006, 00:27: Message edited by: Thrasher91604 ]

6. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I have a full party - so at this point assigning one as a pack mule would weaken me significantly. Nice thought though LOL!

You won't BELIEVE what happened to me last night :(

Corrupt save game. I lost the whole 4th cellar. I don't know how but I did. I had reloaded it the night before (its the big Lich battle) and it worked but then I quit while in combat - I wonder if some bug got me trying to quit during combat. It might have something to do with that radiating Circle of Death in the tomb. I'll have to be careful now - I've got 6 save games for the 4th cellar this time. Bummer though.

So in aggrevation I want NORTH this time. I ran into that combat segment with the Drow - all 16 of them! 12 high Spell Resistence Freth Archers, 2 assassins, 2 High Priest. Damn. I lost the first time badly - they can fire into the doorway from two crossfire angles making it extremely difficult to protect spell casters. Then I developed a fall back strategy into a room 2 doors back. That eliminated the crossfire and forced them into the outer doorway. Fireball time, then I sent in the fighters. By that point the Priests were trying in vain to heal the Drow. Literally 45 minutes later I had defeated them. That was the second hardest battle in the game.

BTW, I love my new Cleric spell Destruction! What a riot! I only wish the game left a scorch mark on the ground afterwords. I kept saying "CYA!" to every Drow I vaporized. HA HA HA LOL it hasnt failed yet!

7. Thrasher91604

Bugs like that are what really turned people off from this game, I think. I commend you on your perseverance! :) I had a few CTDs but no corruption of save files. I had read on a forum that people had bugs if they saved when animations like spell effects are on screen, so I avoided those situations. Maybe that circle of death animation got you?

I'm a bit paranoid about save games. :rolleyes: After every battle / level up / pre-level up I create a new one. Needless to say this filled up my hard drive quickly. So after each major milestone I'd go back and delete most (except for the other major milestones and level up saves). Is this more tedious than replaying huge chunks of the game? Maybe, but less frustrating for me at least.

Destruction is great! If only it didn't provoke an attack of opportunity like harm ... :) I like flame strike, too. It seems like the higher level clerics have more damaging spells at their disposal than the sorcerers. Another goodie is firestorm. Great as an initial spell inside a room where they can't get out. Keeps those priests and mages from casting spells too. Confusion is still probably the best spell in the game though. Double whammy with confusion and firestorm means good night and good bye. :D

8. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Destruction is ranged (25' + 5'/2 levels) - Harm is Touch. I need to level up again to get Fire Storm - can't wait though - up to 20d6 damage LOL!

Destruction cracks me up. A "save" still does 10d6 damage HA HA HA HA HA HA

"Destruction - this awful spell instantly slays the target and consumes her remains utterly in holy (or unholy) fire." He he he he he....

9. Thrasher91604

Destruction is definitely better than harm because (as you pointed out) you can use it at medium range to avoid attacks of opportunity. With my 2 half-elf party I usually only got one destruction off before someone closed to melee range. So in that way it was limited in its effectiveness. But with your larger party you can probably keep your spellcasters safe behind your frontline and casts destruction after destruction! Ye hah! Roasting drow over a holy fire ......

[ March 13, 2006, 19:29: Message edited by: Thrasher91604 ]

10. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I'm about 70% done with the 4th level now. Its hard to make alot a progress because alot of the battles have reached near epic scale - or at least epic length. I ran into the Drow "treasury" last night and ended up getting outflanked - there was an entrance into the area I was defending almost two screens distance to my rear. I knew I was in trouble when a bunch of Drow seemed to be heading in the wrong direction. Luckily I decided to move my best fighter and my Rougue to protect my flank at just the right time. It actually didn't pose much of a problem but the battle took at least a half hour.

I still havent fought that Lich battle again.

11. Thrasher91604

LOL. Half hour battles? *whispers* speed utility..... :idea:

Really, it makes it go SO much faster. Just turn the in game speed all the way down to turn-based, and play in super accelerated turn-based mode.

Were you able to confuse the archers and fighters, and finger of death and destruction the priests? I remember that battle went well when snuck up and lured them away, small groups at a time. Loads of tactical fun!

12. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Just beat the Lich battle ;)

Now THAT is a sword LOL. The game kept crashing every time I approached the room, so I finally hit the Ubisoft forums and guess what? Running the game in Win98 compatibility mode TOTALLY solves the instability issues. I can't believe I was living with all these crashes.

Anyway, great battle. I almost lost, but managed to pull it through. My fighters got as low as 4 HP and 10 HP but I won without raising dead.

Sweet. Can't wait to swing this 4D6 greatsword LOL but I need some sleep ;)

13. Thrasher91604

Congratulations! Definitely one of the tougher ones especially if you're not prepared with the right spells and a high turning ability. High initiative and movement speed helps a lot to close on the spellcasters (read lichs) with your melee characters before they can get many of their spells off.

Yep, I too had to run in Win98 compatibility mode, otherwise larger battles with lots of animations (like spectres) slowed to crawl and eventually froze, requiring a ctl-alt-del kill task. I still got occasional slow ups but they were less severe. *broken record* The speed utility seemed to reduce the severity of slowups, too.

14. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

What is this speed patch you speak of? Just kidding. I like the pace of the game - other than the undead. The Cultists and Drow are very fast!

I'm at the end of the prison, right outside of the door to the final battle (room with the prisoner encased in a hold spell).

This level was HARD. Specifically the Cultist battles last night were pretty tough. Those swarming Brigadiers hit hard and have a ton of HP. Definately fun though - and I now have Fire Storm ;)

Hope I have time to fight that battle tonight!

BTW, I started reading the POR book (fiction). Its surprisingly good - and so far follows the game plot almost perfectly.

15. Thrasher91604

I remember the brigadiers being somewhat vulnerable to confusion. Was that the case for you? Nice thing with thieves is that you can backstab constantly a confused creature. It's curtains fairly quickly, especially using the deathspike (75 points damage at a shot)!

The story part of the game really starts to pick up once you've made through the prison level. Enjoy!

16. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

BIG SPOILER:

Kind of amusing - techinically the whole 4 level cellar crawl resulted in a failed quest if you think about it. I can't believe how lame the Mystral Weaver was. What a whiner! LOL.

What is deathspike? Tudo is using a +4 shortsword called "Backstabber" and can occasionally cause 50 or 60 but never 75.

BTW I've obtained the "new" Gem and I'm about to put it on the Dragon Spine.

You know - I love this game. Approaching end game and comparing it to Baldurs Gate end game... NO CONTEST. Pool of Radiance is simply better. If it were half as long (or even 1/3 as long) and had the speed patch integrated I bet people would have loved it. I like the pace and epic length of it myself, but maybe I'm wierd. I bet only 2% of anyone who tried POR2 got this far. Oh well. You and I are part of a very "elite" club who finished POR2!!! LOL

Well I'll be there soon anyway ;)

17. Thrasher91604

SPOILER .....

Yea, he was sort of pathetic, but I'd imagine after failing to protect Myth Drannor against it's fall and being stupid enough to give the power of the mythal to the current evil leadership, I'd be pretty bummed, too. He really should hand over the reins to someone else.... Yet, he was a bit whiny wasn't he for someone once having great power?

The "Deathspike, Spear of Skewering" is an uber weapon that does something like 3x damage on every hit. :eek: My mage/thief used it for the whole later part of the game. On one of the many visits to Stillwater to see Beriand and Faeril for rumors, we ran into lizard-men and orogs fighting before Beriand and Faeril's door. One of them drops the Deathspike. This happened fairly early for me when I was going through the Dwarven Dungeons. Hopefully the encounter can be triggered later in the game for you! It's a must have item!

For me, I loved it's length, with the speed mod in place and managing the overabundance of items using an NPC mule. Other games that are long (BG I and II come to mind) were a bit tedious for me because of backtracking due to limited inventory space.

18. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

I was wondering...

Did you ever solve that Hachaam Selorn quest? The Baneblade Faervian sword you need to return to a crypt in the Halls of Light?

I think I dropped the sword OOPS. I left a huge pile of loot outside near the Ghost's shrine - Norrywaren or whatever her name is. I was trying to get my fighter, ranger and theif to be lightly encoumbered. I hope its still there! :(

Guess what else I think I left there? Deathspike! Now that you describe it I know I had it.

19. Thrasher91604

[​IMG] Inventory glut sucks. :bang:

Yep, definitely try to find it. When you return it, you get a little mini quest (and a word of power) to battle for probably the best (or second best) sword in the game. It's kind of a fun tricky battle, too.

20. ToddMcF2002 Gems: 6/31

Allllriiiiight - I'll look for it tonight. If its another greatsword I have no use for it in my party - and I do have the Greatsword Damonic +99. But - I'm a completist by nature and I'm not scrambling to get POR2 out of the way like I was with Baldur's Gate.

I needed an excuse to revisit the dwarven mines anyway - I left a section incomplete there. I did finally wrap up the Planets Above quest. I had one elusive Planet, the red one, I left on the surface. At least I can teleport around now ;)

EDIT:

Nice new sword +7 Dragonkind eh? Luckily for me Durwyn was still holding the other sword in inventory because my stash was GONE. Can't leave things outside. I checked Nottle just for grins and he didnt have the stuff.

At first I thought Deathspike was lost but as it turns out Gleanna has been using it throughout the game and I had totally forgotten. She only fights melee when opponents are paralyzed or if totally sorrounded so I simply forgot. I'll switch it to Tudo ASAP.

Thanks for the heads up - that should yield some impressive sneak attacks ;)

[ March 17, 2006, 15:46: Message edited by: ToddMcF2002 ]

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.