1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm creating a thief - Which one?

Discussion in 'BG2: Shadows of Amn (Classic)' started by Zaragoth, Jul 10, 2001.

1. ayecapitan Guest

True Sight seemed like an ultimate anti-illusion spell (Yes, I completed the game as a Diviner :) [With party ;)]), and Cloak of Non-Detection is as good against it as your paper armor against Tanar'ri's pincers, so to say. Correct me if I am wrong (Not again! :))

2. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

Well, Captain, I see what your saying, if you're wearing the cloak of non-detection and you turn invisible (like with a potion or a spell) True Sight will dispell your illusion, and you're screwed.

I discovered when I was using Valgyar to scout around the planar sphere and that pesky cowled wizard showed up (can't remember his name), he predictably cast true sight, and Valgy stayed hidden in the shadows. (In the example above with the flayers, the bounty hunter was wearing the cloak at that point because Valgy got mashed beyond recovery by the red dragon, heh. Actually Viconia got taken out of the game in that fight too, ugly ugly ugly)

In case you're wondering, I was running on a straight install with the official patch.

Was my game being buggy?

3. ayecapitan Guest

Many people had experienced this bug with Valygar, I have to agree. And 'tis disturbing to my demeanor (Shush, Monty! :)) for I play Diviners often and this bug is an offence to Diviners' ultimate weapon - true Sight ;)

4. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

Assassin, Assassin, Assassin, if you wanna play a thief, I'd recomend a druid, but...
    go the assassin route, don't dual-class, put most of your points to hide in shadows then find yourself 2 reall good 1-handed swords, dual-wield, and backstab like crazy.If your hide in the shadows is high enough at a point, you will be able to hide in the shadows at anytime. So it would be like being able to hide from everyone while their looking straight at you, then hit and boom bye-bye bad guy

5. TIN_MAN Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

Yes,yes...assasins are good backstabbers. But why using 2 weapon style? Single weapon style is mutch better; 10% chance of critical hit instead of 5%, and +1 bonus to AC. If you want more than 1 attacks per round then use the Kundane +2 short sword. Only humanoids can be backstabbed, so a +2 weapon is more than enough, Though the Celestial Fury can be the ultimate backstabber.(I never used it as a baackstabbing weapon, because I can't imagine how a thief can use a great sword to backstab someone; it's a slashing weapon!)

6. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Indeed, you got very bad thaco etc. with your off-hand (cannot specialize in 2 weapon fighting or weapons) and you really need Gesen Short Bow, it's awesome.

7. Zaragoth Guest

[​IMG] So assassin is the best thief class? What about the thieving skill points? And the Bounty Hunters special traps? Is the Assassin still better? And now you just made another problem for me :(
    Should I use Katana or short bow? hm.
    :cool:

8. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

Both!

as a thief class you prefer to keep distance (when not backstabbing).
    The tuigan shortbow is wonderful for the early game
    c

9. Jander Sunstar Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Speaking of thieves, please go and try pickpocketing the Raksasha in the tower near the druid Grove while she is in the human form...the result is ridiculous(For those who haven't tried only, please those who already did that, do not send annoying messages such as "HA HA we did that eons ago, there is nothing interesting about it")

10. Shadow Assassin Gems: 13/31
    Latest gem: Ziose

easy question, simple answer. Assassin still rules all. Do you want to backstab? If so use the katana, coat with poison, hide in shadows, then have a lil fun. If you plan on using a bow I suggest you be a ranger, or at the very least something other than an assassin.

11. bongo tjockskalle Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

I read in another forum, long time ago.
    the dude was doing assasin solo and used katana for backstabbing but the tuigan bow with poison.
    this is a viable tactic since you get three attacs with the bow and all will be poisoned.

And, as an assasin you can only put one point in a weapon so you will have points left.

With thiefes good dexterity you would also get a reasonably good thaco with missile weapons.

12. ayecapitan Guest

Due to their cutbacks on thieving skill points, asassins are indeed mediocre.
    Want a fighter&utility thief - go swashbuckler. Want a backstabber - go pure class. Want a name - go asassin :)

13. Tiamat Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] I don't really get backstabbing. Maybe that's because I usually use my thieves just for utility purposes (or for scouting). I've had Imoen as my thief while I was going through Irenicus's dungeon, and now I'm using Yoshimo as a temporary solution until I get her back. Their hide in shadows seems to fail all the time, plus they get mobbed alot, and can't hide again. I also haven't got the foggiest idea how you're supposed to backstab, OR how to make a strategy out of it. Um, help?

14. Ragusa

Ragusa Eternal Halfling Paladin Veteran

Media:
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2017
Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.