1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm annoyed by people who park in disabled bays

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Silvery, Nov 7, 2008.

1. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Tal: The individual must produce the placard to the judge to get out of the fine which is between $50 and $200 depending on the locality.

For people with permanant disabilities who can drive we have special license plates for the vehicle. Placards (which hang from the rearview mirror) are used for people who do not use just one car -- for example, my mother was disabled but could not drive so she had a placard to use when people took her shopping. Placards are also used for people with temporary disabilities (with an expiration date clearly embossed).

2. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
  3. countduckula Banned

Media:
    Yes, it irritates me when I see someone parking in a disabled parking space without displaying a proper parking permit. If they are going to access that luxury, they should at least have the decency to go to the effort of faking a disability in order to get the permit.

4. Old One

Old One The Old Warrior ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

2 coppers worth, my mom is 80+ and has lung and heart problems. She has her car disabled permit and cannot walk but a very short distance at a time. From me and her, thanks to all who show consideration and I feel about the same way Silvery does when someone just takes the space. Glad some people think about how actions affect others.
    A cell call to the local police dept. and a picture with the licence of the idiot in the disabeled parking also can work wonders sometimes.

5. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Belatedly weighing in on a mostly unanimous issue: long ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was an eager young cop, I delighted in nothing so much as towing away cars illegally parked in handicapped spots. This was over 25 years ago and the fine was $100 plus tow charges even then - I bet it's at least $250 in that jurisdiction now.

The salutary effect of towing certainly encourages those with temporary permits to display them correctly. But of the dozens of cars I towed I honestly don't think any of them belonged to handicapped people. They all belonged to someone in a hurry, or they were just going to be a couple of minutes . . . an interesting excuse when it took an average 20 - 30 minutes for the tow truck to get there.

I don't actually miss being a police officer but there were certainly moments of righteous satisfaction involved in the job.

6. countduckula Banned

Media:
    Why all this hatred for people who park illegally in disabled parking bays? In the greater scheme of things, it's actually pretty trivial.

7. Gnarfflinger

Gnarfflinger Wiseguy in Training

Because it puts unnecessary strain on those that really need them.

8. countduckula Banned

Media:
    *tries hard to care, and fails*

9. The Shaman Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Still, I'm surprised you liked it more than, say, catching pickpockets.

10. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    Because if you can break that rule, you can break the next, and the next, etc. And because it is pretty disrespectful of any disabled people who might need that parking space.

11. coineineagh

coineineagh I wish for a horde to overrun my enemies Resourceful Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG]
    Yeah me too. When there's ample disabled parking spaces for disabled people, and violators risk huge fines by parking there, then things are well balanced, I'd say. I've always found people who moan and nag about this to be rather anal-retentive and annoying.:almostmad:

12. revmaf

revmaf Older, not wiser, but a lot more fun

Maybe because I never managed to catch a pickpocket . . . :p

And at least where I worked, again remember this was more than 25 years ago, there really weren't enough handicapped spots for people who needed them. I concede that some parking lots may be overly supplied with them now. I suspect, as someone else has suggested, that this is due to a mandated minimum number for a given size parking lot.

But after trying to help a nearly immobile parent get into a doctor's office when there was nowhere to park his properly permitted car, I have to say that I do still care a lot when the spaces get misused.

Though, yeah, it's not up there with domestic violence, human trafficking, or recruitment of child soldiers.

13. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I've been fined for parking in disabled bays before.

While I've had my badge showing and everything :D

I've also been harrassed along with my boyfriend when we've been out and, usually older, people presume us 'hasty youngsters' park there for a laugh and give us evil looks and harsh words... then they usually notice the crip sticks or the chair :rolleyes:

I remember one woman looking terrified while I was out with friends when she had been mouthing off at us from over the road at parking in the crip bay and putting my badge up (she didn't cross the road to check) one of the male members of the group ran over to her, she looked terrified - until she realised she'd been so busy slagging us off that the cigarrette she'd been holding in the same hand as her handbag had dropped ash and it had caught :lol:

Gnarfflinger likes this.
  14. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    So, Karma (SP?) does exist!

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.