1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

I'm annoyed by people who park in disabled bays

Discussion in 'Alley of Dangerous Angles' started by Silvery, Nov 7, 2008.

1. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] Yep, we'll be burning our bras on your lawn!!

What really REALLY annoys me is people who park in disabled bays because it's easy. They don't have a disability or a permit to park there, they just do it because it's easy. I've driven around a few people who need wheelchairs but because some idiot is too selfish and lazy to park a little bit away from the shops, we have had to struggle and it's ended up with me having to try and carry a full grown adult to their wheel chair!

STUPIDITY IS NOT A HANDICAP - MOVE YOUR DAMNED CAR!

The same goes for people who park in parent and child spaces when they have no kids in the car. It's not as bad as the people in the disabled spaces but still really annoying. It means that I have to leave my sons pushchair on the road (so people then have to drive around it) and then get him out of the car to put him in it. It's doubly annoying when it's a really narrow space and you can't get the doors open very wide. I've caught his head a few times like that.
    When he was first born and on a lot of monitors and oxygen, it was even worse as we had to stand in the road while i sorted out all his medical equipment

2. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I heartily agree with the disabled parking thing.

The number of times I've had to get help because some arse has parked across banked curbs and disabled spaces and I can't manouvre around them is untold.

Half the time the only disability is a complete inability to control their damned cars and park properly. GET A SMALLER CAR YOU CAN HANDLE. Or stop being so damn PRECIOUS over your car - the number of times I've heard "I have to park in the disabled spaces so my new car doesn't get hit" makes me want to key them and their darling vehicle.

Srsly. Parking is serious business. :xx:

(And I will scrape your porsche if I have to. Hell I might do it for fun.)

Never saw the point of burning bras. Unless it's a "Sagging for Salvation" march. Launching saucepans and vacuum cleaners from cannons... now THAT would have an impact.

3. ChickenIsGood Gems: 23/31
    Latest gem: Black Opal

Veteran

That's not really a problem around here, kinda makes me wonder why it isn't a bigger issue. All my friends love road trips in the van for my wheelchair bound friend, for some reason it is exciting to get to park right in front of everything.

4. Silvery

Silvery I won't pretend to be your friend coz I'm just not ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    I tend to shout at people that there stupidity doesn't count as a registered disablilty...i'm thinking about having signs made up to stick on peoples cars

5. Barmy Army

Barmy Army Simple mind, simple pleasures... Adored Veteran

Media:
    It is annoying people parking in disabled spots. It's not stupidity. It's pure laziness and selfishness, which is worse. I can forgive stupidity.

6. Silvery

Media:
    [​IMG] Seeing as this seems to be a topic that a lot of people on here can relate to I thought I'd start a thread about it.

Are you annoyed by people in disabled bays? Do you need the bays but can't get them because of lazy, selfish wasters who park there? Have you ever done it yourself??? (Yes, we will all hate you for admitting to it!)

I propose a campaign to stop these people! Rise with me and we shall stamp out this menace!!

Or you can just have a good whinge about it instead

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  7. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Actually, I'm annoyed by the number of spots that are wasted on the handicapped. The supermarket we go to has 8 handicapped parking spots right in front. The most I have ever seen is two of them being used at the same time. It is even more egregious at the warehouse club we go to (BJ's wholesale). They have in excess of ten. I have never ever seen one of them being used. I'm guessing handicapped people don't need to buy in bulk. I can't help but think that the number of spots is somehow a ratio mandated by the government based on the total number of spots. If that is the case, then that is ridiculous as they have way overestimated the numbers of handicapped and shouldn't there be some semblance of rationality based on what type of store it is. I mean seriously, how many handicapped parking spaces does a ski lodge need?

In answer to your question, yes able bodied people who park in a handicapped spot should be made handicapped.

8. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    I haven't parked in a disabled bay even once in my entire life so far. Even if there are 20 free ones and no one using them. A bit out of fear of getting my car towed, but more out of respect than anything else. There's always another free parking spot, it's just a matter of how long it takes to find one.

Edit: agree with Snook on the numbers. Here, most shopping malls have about a dozen in every larger lot and I've never seen even a quarter of them taken at once. It might be that they've intentionally overestimated the numbers because they figured that so and so many people who aren't disabled would still be disrespectful enough to park there regardless. The fact that it isn't happening really should be taken into account.

9. Silvery

Media:
    They're always full here. I even saw a police car parked in one while the officer went to get his lunch (i was behind him in the queue).Maybe it's just england

10. Taluntain

Taluntain Resident Alpha and Omega Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder Resourceful Adored Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) BoM XenForo Migration Contributor [2015] (for helping support the migration to new forum software!)

Media:
    [​IMG] I've merged the posts from the other thread into this one as we've had parallel discussions about the same thing going on.

11. Silvery

Media:
    i know, that was why i started a seperate thread so that people could carry on being annoyed at random, and then annoyed at selfish people!

12. 8people

8people 8 is just another way of looking at infinite ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran

Media:
    [​IMG] I know in england disabled spaces are like 'mother and child' spaces where it is a 'Priority' space.

I've seen crips shouting at people who have just parked in a disabled space... even though it's the last parking space in the entire car park. Which to me can be as stupid and ignorant as people who park in spaces due to laziness or indeed ignorance at who really need the space.

What I also find ridiculous is that you can't have a disabled badge or disabled privellages until you are five years old. I've seen some instances where quite often there's only one parent with a child in a Y frame or with oxygen and they have been forbidden from parking in a disabled space despite the fact they clearly requite more room and clearly their child has a disablility.

Watch from 35 seconds on here. I can't gaurantee the rest of the clips are clean, but the guys reaction is priceless :D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2015
    The Great Snook likes this.
  13. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Often, a family with a handicapped person will have a special license plate and people assume, just because they have the license plate, it's okay to use the parking spot -- even when the handicapped person is not with them.

WRONG!

In America it is also illegal to park in a handicapped parking space (even with the proper tags or license) if the handicapped person is not with you. This is a real problem at the local grocery store where some children with handicapped parents work (the kids, fully healthy teenagers, are too lazy to walk another 50 feet).

14. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Here is another thing that bugs me. I work with a woman who is in a wheelchair. We have two handicapped parking spots in front of the office. She never parks in one and takes away a spot from the rest of us. My office has severe parking problems, but she doesn't want any special privledges. It drives me crazy, take the damn handicapped spot and free up the spot for the rest of us.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  15. Taluntain

Media:
    Well there ARE several ways to drop anonymous tips like that around the office... have you tried doing it?

16. The Great Snook Gems: 31/31

Adored Veteran

Media:
    Numerous times. I understand her wanting to be treated like everyone else, but not when it is causing everyone else problems. It is even worse during winter. A person in a wheelchair should not be rolling through a slush and ice covered parking lot.

17. Silvery

Media:
    You could just tell her!

My gran was in a wheel chair and we had a nightmare getting parked. The thing is, people who were in the disabled spots without need, used to sit and watch us struggle!

18. Montresor

Montresor Mostly Harmless Staff Member ★ SPS Account Holder

Media:
    @Snook: If nobody else in the office is handicapped, then she's really not doing anyone a favour; rather she's taking up a parking spot for somebody else without freeing up a handicapped spot that anybody can use. Hasn't anyone told her that?

19. Taza

Taza Weird Modmaker Veteran

I don't have a car - I prefer public transport - but I always prefer people I'm with to park in disabled spaces even if I'm not technically disabled.

Especially when it's slippery.

Though, nobody complains about it when they see me limping along on a bad day. Or if they do, there will be a lot of verbal abuse heading their way.

20. T2Bruno

T2Bruno The only source of knowledge is experience Distinguished Member ★ SPS Account Holder Adored Veteran New Server Contributor [2012] (for helping Sorcerer's Place lease a new, more powerful server!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Snook: For some people it is a pride thing. I could not fault a person there.

Perhaps there is more to the issue than you know (perhaps not) -- many employers are required to provide a specific number of handicapped spots for guests. If she starts to use one regularly, another handicapped spot may need to be provided, which will mean two normal spots gone.

I get equally irritated at the lame excuses people are able to use to get handicapped status.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.