1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

Ilmatari and Vampires - an RP question

Discussion in 'Dungeons & Dragons + Other RPGs' started by kuemper, Sep 2, 2005.

1. kuemper Gems: 31/31
    Latest gem: Rogue Stone

[​IMG] Usually, I wouldn't ask others how I should RP my character, but I'm a bit stuck here and need help. We're using the 3e/3.5e rules in a Forgotten Realms setting.

My character is a 2nd level cleric/monk of Ilmater and one of her party members is a swashbuckler/vampire He's slowly turning into a vampire during this campaign and his quest is to find his master. So, what would my C/M (Eridani is her name) do or react to the in-party vamp when/if she finds out?

Eridani's stats and skills(if it will help):

Cleric 1/Monk 1, Lawful Good, Human
    STR 15 (+2)
    DEX 17 (+3)
    CON 15 (+2)
    INT 16 (+3)
    WIS 18 (+4)
    CHA 14 (+2)

Concentration: 7/11 (combat casting)
    Escape Artist: 7
    Heal: 5
    Knowledge (History): 4
    Knowledge (The Planes): 4
    Knowledge (Religion): 8
    Listen: 8
    Sense Motive: 8
    Spellcraft: 4
    Spot: 8
    Swim: 6
    Tumble: 7

I maxed out Sense Motive as it would seem to be of more use than Diplomacy, especially dealing with a vamp. ;)

Ilmater's teachings are about easing the suffering of others and the most important ritual is the Turning.

And his dogma:

I'm not sure just yet if the vamp is still 'alive' - slowly 'dying' as the curse of the vampire grows inside him. If he's dead, it'll be interesting if Eridani decides to Turn Undead. :p Also, she has a good and lawful aura around her. How would that affect the vamp? Any help is appreciated. It's like being in catechism class all over again.

2. Oaz Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Take levels in Cleric so you can get mid-level spells and banish this character to the plane where vampire player characters belong, that is, the plane of White Wolf. Or so you can turn undead make him go away.

3. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I don't want to outright kill him. I'm looking for a way to play out my faith as I adventure with a vampire. And I am taking cleric levels, alternating with monk so they're even.

4. Felinoid

Felinoid Who did the what now? ★ SPS Account Holder

Sanctify everything you own, and you'll never have to worry about him stealing your stuff. :lol: The LG aura is nothing to worry about unless it's as powerful as a paladin's aura.

I can see a tiny loophole here. If the vamp is suffering through a (physically or emotionally) painful transformation, then Eridani might be obligated to help him through it. Once it's over, there'd have to be some emotional pangs of regret over the tasks he's forced to perform, and even that's pushing it a little bit.

5. chevalier

chevalier Knight of Everfull Chalice ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

Media:
    Well, it isn't Lathander, so you aren't expected to destroy all undead in sight at all costs but, generally, the undead rely on negative energy, they are as evil and unnatural as anything can be. Ilmater doesn't have hints of a balance/nature deity, contrary to Lathander (the biggest undead hater around) but he's a goodie up to the point of masochism. I suppose killing an undead is pretty much a required act of charity towards the now-dead person on the part of an Ilmatari priest if only he's able to enact it. Remember how Valygar killed both his parents in lich forms in order to lay their souls to rest? Maybe not only or not exactly for this specific purpose, but he did nonetheless.

Hmm... Perhaps the Ilmatari religion has a ritual to cleanse such a body, perhaps also the soul if the soul has been involved anyhow? Perhaps it would be possible to slay the undead, exorcise the body and raise the person back to life. Apart from the usual post-resurrection syndrome, the person would also have memories of being undead for a short time. I suppose this would be a nice roleplaying opportunity, providing for an interesting character.

6. Gothmog

Gothmog Man, a curious beast indeed! ★ SPS Account Holder Veteran

I presume that even if the rogue doesnt appear evil via actions/decisions and whatnot, clerics aura will detect his undead nature, evil by default?

If it doesnt, or the swashbuckler doesnt in fact become evil and stays the same-concious, then i'd say cleric's got no real reason to intervene to the point of trying to eradicte him.

7. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    [​IMG] Offer him your own blood!
    [Vulgar, sexually content removed by MoN]

8. kuemper Gems: 31/31

You're all being silly and rather suspect, too. :p

Well, unless the vamp does something evil toward me, the party or the world, I'll leave him alone. All this confusion for a decent Swim skill.

9. Master of Nuhn

Master of Nuhn Wear it like a crown Veteran Pillars of Eternity SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!) Torment: Tides of Numenera SP Immortalizer (for helping immortalize Sorcerer's Place in the game!)

Media:
    Don't eat too much garlic if you want to kiss him. Garlic never helps you much with that, but I've been told that vampires will appreciate it even less.

If I'd find out, I'd try to cure him if possible. Or else I would disband him or kill him if he's a real danger. Depends on who he is now.

On a sidenote:
    Have you heard of the Sacred Fist prestige class? It combines monk levels with divine magic. You might go for a Monk4/Cleric2 or somesuch. Check Complete Divine for info on the Sacred Fist.
    Btw: Your stats are way too high... ;)

10. Felinoid

:hmm: Actually, offering him your own blood really fits with Ilmater. You're taking the suffering of his potential victims on yourself.

11. kuemper Gems: 31/31

@MoN - I have special stat rolling dice and considering my playgroup (gads, that makes me sound like I'm 5 y/o!) has powergaming twinks, I don't think her stats are that good. ;) Eridani is devoted to her husband - that's her quest hook. Yes, I've looked at sacred fist many times. I don't know if we'll get enough levels for me to take it.

@Fel - :whoa: That is too good to pass up.

12. Felinoid

Hey, it's MoN's idea; I just elaborated.
    Oh, isn't that cute! :bigeyes:

13. kuemper Gems: 31/31

<kicks dirt with toe of shoe>

Shucks, Fel. You're making me blush. :o DM wanted plot hooks and since he was nice enough to let me play a cleric/monk, I obliged him with a love story of two novices of Ilmater eventually declaring their love. Eridani got sent to a monestary of the Broken Ones to further her training and Paul (the hubby) visited one day and *bam*! :love:

14. Master of Nuhn

Media:
    "Saint Eridani the 76 times blooddrained"

I'm always interested in clerics and multi-classed clerics and prestige classes...
    What cleric domains did you pick?

15. kuemper Gems: 31/31

Healing and Suffering. Both will come in handy sometime.

16. MrNexx Gems: 7/31
    Latest gem: Tchazar

I would say that her responsibility is to end the suffering... to save the person's life if possible, but once he becomes completely undead, he is no longer suffering... it IS suffering, and should be destroyed.

Offering of your own blood is a good idea. Your spells will help with the damage, and he can avoid causing more pain to other people.

So long as he is redeemable, you should act to save him. Once he becomes undead, offer him Raise Dead as an option.

17. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

Ressurection, "return a dead beeing to life".

Even if he does become a full vampire, you can actually revert him back to life. Also dependent on how good your skills argumenting and rule-lawyering is you might even be able to use that spell to revert a level 40 necromancher lich back to the human he was "before he became dead/undead" wich might make him level 18 necromancher human instead of lich. quite nasty in the right situations. one of my favorite spells ever.

18. Register Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Raptor, that might work, but that would be a bit lame. I mean, having someone who roleplays for several sessions to become a vampire, and then, the next time the priest gets the chance, he's turned back into a human. Workable, but possibly a bit lame. :/

19. raptor Gems: 16/31
    Latest gem: Shandon

I completelly agree, but also remember it is a pretty high level spell. so it could be one of those things the character strived for. It would also be very much in character for the cleric.

And it is also posible it would be to late to redeem the character by that time, can you imagine the posibilities of roleplaying a human that have been a full vampire, and gotten turned back to human, but still as evil and corrupted. :) He might actually be striving for becoming a vampire again without letting the cleric notice ;) All of this might even frustrate the cleric even more, and make him try even harder to help him.

20. kuemper Gems: 31/31

I'm pretty sure the vampire wants to be a vampire. From what I understand, he's looking for his master. I, for one, don't want to be offering myself as an alternative snack for Fangboy, suffering or no. :lol: Though it brings up another question - can two good aligned clerics use the 'aid one another' for Turning Undead? As the 2 clerics are multiclassed, maybe if we worked together, we could give Fangboy a good zap. :hmm: :angel:

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.