1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If you could change one thing about BG

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by AK_Rooster, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

Hmm... I think that part of the game is good, in almost every story, a hero is good alligned or maybe neutral... I never read books about evil people saving a whole city/destrict, however you can of course still have good reasons to kill Sarevok.

2. Intentioner of the Damned Gems: 14/31
    Latest gem: Chrysoberyl

[​IMG] Alright, learning of spells is down to AD&D rules, i accept that.

But i'd still change the number of spell slots available. I played BG to completion and had Dianaher (you know the one) in my party. She was level 7 or 8 but i could only cast up to level 4 or 5 spells coz i had no available slots to memorise to. I could have been doing something wrong (but not to my knowlege) so that is something i would change.

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

That *IS* 2nd edition D&D rules.... Dynaheir can become level 7 (xp gap 89000) and a level 7 mage can cast up to level 4 spells.

4. StressedE Gems: 15/31
    Latest gem: Waterstar

Hmm, you have a point headbanger, but it still is a game, and if they give the game an evil option, then it should be fun to play. Now when I play evil I feel I am not "free". You can't finish the game without doing the main quest, and the main quest is one which mainly has a good perspective. You might say that you can look at it in an evil way as well, but it just doesn't have that evil feeling.

5. astro zombie Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

i would add some more class to play make a bigger story line on the npc's and make the maps bigger... i clear the maps so qucikly

6. Psycho. the fanged rabbit Gems: 9/31
    Latest gem: Iol

I would change being able to make only your first character I want to make all of them and then meet people and have a choice if I want to switch.
    Now as for the evil issue the evil option is just pretty much a role playing thing. You just have fun with it like answer your questions more evil and attack the innocent. There is a couple advantages two being evil also like you do not lose reputation points when stealing, and you get in more fights therefor giving you more experience making you stronger. Actually I just started a new game with a Chaotic Evil fighter/mage just because I've never tried it. So at the start of the game I just killed tons of gaurds to get money, experience, and armor.

7. TheNovak Gems: 5/31
    Latest gem: Andar

Didn't bother to read the whole string, so someone might have said this, but I'd love to add some Planescape: Torment style NPC interation. BG2 did well, but Torment really added a lot of depth to the supporting cast. Gotta love Morte. And imagine being able to have a new conversation with Minsc after every major plot event :D

Also, I'd definitely up it to 800x600. I just started a Paladin to take through the whole series, and it's really disorienting to go from the big screens of BG2 and Neverwinter Nights to the cluttered mini-view of Baldur's Gate. Also, I'd redo the interface and make it more Torment-style (can ya tell I like the game?), which frees up a lot of view space. Although I'd keep the spell bar, not Torment's damned "quick menu."

Third, pathfinding. That could really use some work. Then again, you get used to it pretty quickly, so it's not that bad.

Fourth, running. Torment did it, so we know the Infinity Engine's capable. And maybe it's not realistic for my platemail-clad paladin to sprint merrily along the open road, but it'd save a lot of time waiting for them to slooooowly cross the empty map.

Fifth, more "interaction" quests, like someone else said. And more Torment-style Charisma- and Wisdom-based quests, like convincing someone not to kill themselves or giving a speech.

Sixth, more evil opportunities. I definitely agree that bad guys get the short end of the stick.

Seventh and finally, I know someone said this, there should be more than one damned gate in Baldur's Gate's inner wall. Getting caught on the wrong side of the slums sucks.

Yeah, guess that's about it. Maybe more NPCs. Or perhaps not.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.