1. SPS Accounts:
    Do you find yourself coming back time after time? Do you appreciate the ongoing hard work to keep this community focused and successful in its mission? Please consider supporting us by upgrading to an SPS Account. Besides the warm and fuzzy feeling that comes from supporting a good cause, you'll also get a significant number of ever-expanding perks and benefits on the site and the forums. Click here to find out more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
You are currently viewing Boards o' Magick as a guest, but you can register an account here. Registration is fast, easy and free. Once registered you will have access to search the forums, create and respond to threads, PM other members, upload screenshots and access many other features unavailable to guests.

BoM cultivates a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. We have been aiming for quality over quantity with our forums from their inception, and believe that this distinction is truly tangible and valued by our members. We'd love to have you join us today!

(If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you've forgotten your username or password, click here.)

If you could change one thing about BG

Discussion in 'Baldur's Gate (Classic)' started by AK_Rooster, Oct 8, 2001.

1. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31
    Latest gem: Glittering Beljuril

Veteran

That's a good one indeed! Is there no patch that fixes that problem?

2. Cog Primius Guest

[​IMG] maybe if you install bg2 it will fix themselfes couse there it isnt so

3. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well I play BG2 and I know that in BG2 this is no problem anymore, but installing BG2 is not a solution for a BG1 problem. So is there a solution?

Well to be honest, I don't need a solution. As you all know I play with a Thief-Only Party. And my slogan?: You can't cast magic at what you can't see

Who needs those resistances anyway :)

4. Lemernis Gems: 2/31
    Latest gem: Fire Agate

Although the first time through I enjoyed exploring all of the maps in BG1, and I liked the fact that they were set outdoors, the mapclearing can get a bit tedious also. Gem bags and and spell scroll cases as in BG2 would be nice so that you don't have to schlep to a town to sell loot after every major battle.

5. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Very true. I play now with a party of 4 and then you have a lot less space for gems etc. Bags would indeed be very useful, just like ammo quivers.

6. kemanmaldea Gems: 12/31
    Latest gem: Moonstone

I'll believe you have a fair problem keeping all of your bow users supplied with arrows. I only had 3 bow in a party of six and I still ran out if I messed up, result my mages with low strengths allways wound up piled high with arrows.
    It helps that in bg the stack hight fo arrows is higher 40 Vs. 20 and there are bows that dont use arrows.

7. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

Well, that is something that makes the game easier but not always more realistic... How do you think it goed with real adventurers? They also can't have tons of arrows with them. They also can run out of arrows. However arrows aren't a big problem. You can find arrows on kobolds, bandits, hobgoblins, Black Talon, etc. It's normal that before you leave a city or inn, you buy a lot of arrows for the next adventures, such things make the game more realistic. The No Ammo Bows are really sick and they do really suck.... Imagine yourself with a bow that needs no ammo. You pull an empty bow-string and suddenly you see someone fall? How would you aim at a target without an arrow? Talking about improvenments.... this is certainly not one. It's a shame that easy gameplaying is chosen above realism here.

8. Mollusken Gems: 24/31
    Latest gem: Water Opal

A magical bow should have no problems generating it's own arrows, but a normal bow should not. Besides it is fun with the great variety of arrows you find.

9. ArtEChoke Gems: 17/31
    Latest gem: Star Diopside

[​IMG] There are definately times when I curse at the game for only allowing the characters to rest in 8 hour increments. Sometimes you get into Beregost in the middle of the night, and the characters are loaded down with stuff, and you have to wait for the smithy to open to sell all of the collected weapons.

So you either stand there and wait, or you go rest, and when you wake up 8 hours later the day is half over. Very annoying, you should be able to tell the game how long you want to sleep for.

10. Big B Gems: 27/31
    Latest gem: Emerald

[​IMG] Oh you don't have to rest just eight hours. Sleep outside and get 2 or 4 hours of sleep whilst gnolls and gibberlings peck at you in your sleep ;) :grin: ;)

11. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

The smith clearly doesn't want to work at night (like mostly everyone else), and that justs adds to the realistic parts of the game. When you come to Beregost you are usually empty of magic as well, so just head into the Jovial Juggler as you pass by.

12. Linael Gems: 3/31
    Latest gem: Lynx Eye

In town, when going from shop to shop,
    A "Shop to Shop" button would be nice to save those aimless dawdles, listening to that maddening child's laughter. aaaargh.
    It would be too easy to miss NPC's though.

Linael of the mists.

13. Gonff Gems: 3/31

I would kill Imoen!!!!!!!!! Remove her from the game!!!!! God I hate her!!!!!!

14. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

Linael:

It doesn't take much time to learn where the shops are, and then it's no big deal.

15. idoru Gems: 11/31
    Latest gem: Bloodstone

well, you only have to put up with imoen in candlekeep, after that you are free to dump her, or for added amusement kill her, as you please.

16. Linael Gems: 3/31

Mollusken: That's the point mate, the hundredth trip from shop1 to shop2 loses it's sparkle somewhat. Maybe if the trip-saver actuated after the 5th trip huh? :)

17. Mollusken Gems: 24/31

The only solution is then only to carry the most valuable stuff around, and to buy a lot of arrows each time you are in the shop. Then you don't have to go that often ;).

18. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

What I really miss is the marks on the map, as it is in BG2. Especially in the city Baldur's Gate that would be very handy.

SOme good ideas on improvement in this topic, unfortunatly I don't think Bioware will update such an old game :)

19. Sniper Gems: 28/31
    Latest gem: Star Sapphire

Change one thing?

I'd like to have a dwarf and elven town which are at war with each other ... good opportunity for a quest ...

20. Shadowcouncil Gems: 29/31

Veteran

You already have two countries, Amn and Baldur's Gate, at war with each other. Dwarfs and Elfs aren't very common in this part of the world, there are of course ELves and Dwarves only between the humans, they don't have their own towns in this part of the Forgotten Realms.

Sorcerer's Place is a project run entirely by fans and for fans. Maintaining Sorcerer's Place and a stable environment for all our hosted sites requires a substantial amount of our time and funds on a regular basis, so please consider supporting us to keep the site up & running smoothly. Thank you!

Sorcerers.net is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products on amazon.com, amazon.ca and amazon.co.uk. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.